Riding in the rain sucks

Just putting it out there. Did about 350 miles this weekend in the rain. Hit it on my way to PA and basically the entire ride home was rain as well. Some of it was insane.

Wore my rain gear (Bought the technic suit Dustin suggested) and it kept me dry, but man there is nothing fun about it.

Trashed my boots that I have been using for years, so just ordered some Alpinestars CR-4 Gore-tex XCR boots. Hope those hold up.

Gotta say you learn a lot real fast about the rain. Changing lanes in a corner is not an issue. Running over tar snakes doing that same thing IS. Front end likes to just slide off of them. Figured that out real fast!

I passed about 50 bikes hanging out under the over passes. I personally did not want to wait out a storm when I have a 6 hour ride home and according to radar it was not going away no matter how long I waited. Shit weather out of no where totally sucks. Best be prepared is what I have learned. It is worth it. I brought my saddlebag and tank bag rain coats and those were used, me and my woman's rain gear was used, and my trunk was waterproof and it didn't leak a drop.

My tire combo of PP2CT front and PR2CT rear works great also, and considering my front is due for a replacement within the next 2K miles I am very impressed.

Overall not recommended, but it was a good learning experience.

If you're talking Sunday, I got caught in that same storm. I was only about 45 minutes from home thankfully. I had no rain gear and I was soaked. Glad you made it home safely.

Consider it a baptism from the gods of motorcycling. ;)

It does kind of suck when it's day in and day out but the right gear makes all the difference. I don't even notice it anymore. Fuck those pansies that wait it out!

Next comes the snow, Papa! Now that is fun!

Still, I'll take a sunny day any time

Last edited:
Consider it a baptism from the gods of motorcycling. ;)

It does kind of suck when it's day in and day out but the right gear makes all the difference. I don't even notice it anymore. Fuck those pansies that wait it out!

Yeah, I agree.....some of us have no option unfortunately. Its either ride or don't go to work!!

Don't forget the extra chain lube required after a gully washer. Had a buddy who trashed his riding too much in the rain w/no post-ride love.

And what's up with the water peeling off the BACK half of your helmet visor when you look over your shoulder?....

I get caught in the rain a good bit leaving work and yes it sucks big time but by the time I get out I usualy need a bath anyway LOL.

at least here in ca we get 12 months a year to ride..some times it can rain for a whole month but not every year. live too low for snow problems.

but then this past monday (june 4th) we got rained out for a track day. probely the only day in june it will rain :cuss:
got to drive home pulling a small trailer (loaded with bike and gear) as it rained i was in my open CJ-7.

when you own a jeep, it is not a drive...it is a adventure.

packnrat.

Made a short Saturday ride in early May to help a buddy move. forecast'd: Isolated showers, Temps mid-50's.

Solid downpour 15-mins from home. Got my rain gear on in time, but had to ride additional 40-minutes. Discovered Rain gear needed more waterproofing as it *seeped* water.

Ride home: Solid, cold rain. Wet rain gear. 20-mph wind. 30-miles following a very cold Seneca Lake. Temps dropped into mid-40's.

Been a long time that a warm, dry home looked so good!!!!

BUT help my buddy get moved.

If it wasn't hailing....Last year on the way to the FZ1oa rally, we got caught in a frog strangler! Thunderstorm knocked the lights out in the whole area for the rest of the night and part of the next day. I got soaked to the bone before i could even think about rain gear. I don't mind riding in the rain if I'm caught in it but I ain't leaving the house in the rain. And hail hurts.

a3d9d43b.jpg

Rain! It freaking rain almost everyday from 4-6pm here in Florida. That mean I get wet every day, or almost every day!

I'm taking the 6R for a bike tour. West Palm Beach to Laconia, NH (Bike Week) Leaving next Tuesday. Hope the weather is going to cooperate with me. 1600 miles!!! Sound like an Iron Butt Gold to me! LOL

What worry me the most is not the rain... it's all the other idiot driving in the rain!

What sucks is the fact that I really have no place to store my rain gear unless I keep the trunk on the bike all the time which is not going to happen.

Man I want a set of Givi's but holy crap they are some coin.

You can say that again. Patience will be required to find a tidy used set. It's worth it though

Yup. Biggest problem is they usually do not pop up for sale and if they do its one of those times I am deff in line behind a pile of people scouring the forums looking for them as it is.

Patience sucks :(

Back