Renthal, Rizoma or Pro Taper?

AxelFZ1

I'm looking to install a new set of handlebars on my 02 Gen 1 FZ1. I've been reading lots of posts on the subject but I still haven't quite figured out which bar works the best for my needs. I am looking for a bar that has limited sweep so my writs can keep straight. I want the new bar to fit the stock risers with no clearance issues or rerouting cables. I've been looking at the Renthal ultra low and streetfighter, the 7/8 Rizoma and a ProTaper in the Carmichael bend. Can someone that has used one of these bars offer some suggestions?

Thanks!

I'm using the Renthal Ultra Low on my XV920R, and I'm very happy with it. For my skateboard, busted up wrists, it has the perfect position for me.

Clip-ons would be lower...right? I don't want to go much lower bit a little lower would be okay. My background is in mountain biking where I have been using the same bend bar for the past 10-15 years. On my bicycles I use a Easton EA70 with a 9 degree bend and a 7 degree upsweep (those bends could be in reverse?). At any rate, I'm not quite sure how to make conversion to millimeters? So, I'm not sure which of these bars is most similar? Just looking for a low riser bar that fits my bike with the least amount of modification.

Clip-ons would be lower...right? I don't want to go much lower bit a little lower would be okay. My background is in mountain biking where I have been using the same bend bar for the past 10-15 years. On my bicycles I use a Easton EA70 with a 9 degree bend and a 7 degree upsweep (those bends could be in reverse?). At any rate, I'm not quite sure how to make conversion to millimeters? So, I'm not sure which of these bars is most similar? Just looking for a low riser bar that fits my bike with the least amount of modification.

They make clip on with risers. Work great. Even better than OEM. If you can determine what the rise is from OEM, that will give you a benchmark.

Last edited:
The stock bar has an uncomfortable sweep for me. I have moved it forward to reduce the sweep bit it is still uncomfortable. Just got this bike and the first thing I always do to a new (new to me) bike is get the ergonomics dialed in.

I have a strong mountain bike background too, both Xcountry and downhill.

I went with the rizoma risers and conical bars with 1/2" cut off each end so as not to have to buy all new cables. It was an easy job and I much prefer them over the stock bars and risers. A hell of a lot less vibration through the bars too.

Just my preference there. Pics in my album.

The stock bar has an uncomfortable sweep for me. I have moved it forward to reduce the sweep bit it is still uncomfortable. Just got this bike and the first thing I always do to a new (new to me) bike is get the ergonomics dialed in.

well then there's always just buying a 2 foot steel tube

Back