Rectifier regulater OEM or after market?

Delta

So I was over a 100 miles from home and the engine management light comes on followed by the dash shutting down not long after. Anyway it turns out the rectifier regulater has had its day and packed in..
My question is do you fit the expensive OEM unit or a good quality after market unit. ?
Btw I wouldn't buy a cheap chinese copy from fleabay.
So OEM or quality AM guys?

Last edited:
So I was over a 100 miles from home and the engine management light comes on followed by the dash shutting down not long after. Anyway it turns out the rectifier regulater has had its day and packed in..
My question is do you fit the expensive OEM unit or a good quality after market unit. ?
Btw I wouldn't buy a cheap chinese copy from fleabay.
So OEM or quality AM guys?

In my opinion, when it comes to parts like these: stators, rectifiers, I would definitely use OEM, but that's just me. Maybe there are some "used" but tested units out there on EBay that you may be able to pick up cheaper, or on the forums where someone is parting out their bike?

In my opinion, when it comes to parts like these: stators, rectifiers, I would definitely use OEM, but that's just me. Maybe there are some "used" but tested units out there on EBay that you may be able to pick up cheaper, or on the forums where someone is parting out their bike?

I'm normally the same with some bike parts having to be OEM but M&P have one they claim to be of high quality for less than half the OEM price. So I'm wondering if anyone has tried an A/M reg/rectifier and have been happy with it.
I won't buy an Al-cheapo £25 jobbie from ebay via China.
M&P are a big company that sell bike spares and clothing a bit like Demon tweeks I guess.

It's amazing how one person could go the life of the bike and never replace a rectifier or stator, and then have another person that needed to change theirs out more than once. If you feel safe and confident with the aftermarket company then go for it. Like you said and you are right, there are aftermarket parts that are produced that rectify issues that OEM parts had which make them more reliable. I just get nervous when these electrical parts are sourced out in China and Tawain and don't have the quality control that the major manufacturers have. Let us know which road you decide to take and how it works out for you.

Let's us know the outcome delta ,, I may need one myself , was out today and blew a few bulbs !! Oddly enough this bike had a new oem one fitted just before I bought it 3 years ago so there may be issues with them ,not been able to check it yet as volt meter is at work ,, did you manage to get home ok mate or was it a recovery job

Let's us know the outcome delta ,, I may need one myself , was out today and blew a few bulbs !! Oddly enough this bike had a new oem one fitted just before I bought it 3 years ago so there may be issues with them ,not been able to check it yet as volt meter is at work ,, did you manage to get home ok mate or was it a recovery job ��

It was a two job relay. One took me 50 miles down the M1 to the Watford gap and the 2nd truck too me home. 6 hours grrr
I should get a new one this week so I'll be up and running soon again. I may just buy the quality A-M unit yet. After a few phone calls I will know. Man I miss my bike...!

I know exactly how you feel Delta. It sucks being stranded. I think I was maybe 70 miles north when it happened to me. Had to leave the bike on someone's property behind his fence and hope it was still there the next day when I got back to retrieve it. Now I bought roadside assistance through Kawasaki. For $30 dollars a year it's piece of mind. Hope you get back on the road soon.

I know exactly how you feel Delta. It sucks being stranded. I think I was maybe 70 miles north when it happened to me. Had to leave the bike on someone's property behind his fence and hope it was still there the next day when I got back to retrieve it. Now I bought roadside assistance through Kawasaki. For $30 dollars a year it's piece of mind. Hope you get back on the road soon.

Cheers buddy, I should be back on the road this week all going well with the postal service lol. I've ordered a new regulater rectifier from M&P in the shop it's £95 but there ebay price is £70 inc postage. I'll give it a go and if it fux up I'll just bite the bullet and go OEM.
The AA got me home but it was a long day with that 6 hour double relay ride. Better than not having any assistance though eh.

Last edited:
Back