Rear tire size change from 50 to 55

I see that change is mentioned a few times. What are the PROS and CONS of this? Trying to learn.
Thanks!

The 55 tire has a taller profile which helps with turn-in a bit. Raises the tail of the bike up a smidgen as well. I changed over this year and probably won't go back to the 50 series tire.

No clearance issues. If you do the R1 fork conversion you may have geometry issues, I have installed a PSR adjustable lowering link on the rear to lower it 6mm to get the geometry back to how I like it as I have Ohlins forks designed for the R1 on my bike. With Stock forks there is no issue as they are too tall anyway.

No clearance issues. If you do the R1 fork conversion you may have geometry issues, I have installed a PSR adjustable lowering link on the rear to lower it 6mm to get the geometry back to how I like it as I have Ohlins forks designed for the R1 on my bike. With Stock forks there is no issue as they are too tall anyway.

I have read that some drop the front forks 3-5mm. So with the stock setup, adding a 55 tire will change the geometry in good way. Do you still need to drop the front forks 3-5mm to get the correct geometry on these bikes?

I dropped mine 12mm to get the right geometry. It will all vary with springs, rider weight & tire choice. I suggest you get the tires on and then take the bike to someone who knows how to get your suspension set up. You want the geometry, sag, compression and rebound set up for your height & weight. Ideally changing the rear shock out for one that has some adjustment too. The stock rear shock is a pogo stick. Many people swap out for a R1 rear shock with the Satan's adapter or an aftermarket shock like the Ohlins or Penske for those with more funds. The forks can have the internals upgraded to improve their feel.

I switched to a 55 and will not go back to a 50 either. I love the way the bike falls into the corners now and I removed the speedoDRD as it is no longer needed. The 55 puts the speedo close enough to actual speed that no correction is needed.

I switched to a 55 and will not go back to a 50 either. I love the way the bike falls into the corners now and I removed the speedoDRD as it is no longer needed. The 55 puts the speedo close enough to actual speed that no correction is needed.

As long as you have stock gearing ;)

Back