Rear Hugger Refab

what are you using for your spraycan clear??

do ya think it would work on Carbon Fiber?? (anything to save a buck these days....)

Adam

The clear I'm using is also a Krylon Fusion Line Paint. I want to keep it all Krylon since I know that they are all compatible. If you use the wrong clearcoat by mixing brands, there is a chance of severe "orange peeling" if they don't take together. I have used this particular paint before so I know that after wetsanding tomorrow, the clear will go on smooth and consistant to give it a high protective shine. After that I'll use the glazing polish to buff it out and apply some spray wax (Eagle One), after that to finish it off.

why you have your lowers hanging in the background and not on the bike...

Well, I just changed the oil this past Sunday and I am running over to Ivan's at the end of the week to pick up the A.I.S. removal kit, so I figured to just leave them off until I'm totally finished with everything before putting them back on. I also am ordering all the decals for the fairings from Ebay and would like to apply them upstairs where I know they will go on straight and true. I have the large "Yamaha" decals as well as others coming to make it look nice and racy. I just made up my mind to do the A.I.S. removal myself as well as spark plugs and air filter. I mean I have the garage empty now so I should save some dough and do it myself. I'm also going to service my EXUP Valve too. That day will be an FZ Marathon at the old homestead!

I'm looking for various stickers.....what is your source??

Tuning forks (need some for the tank as well as a gel sticker for the upper fairing)

Adam

This is turning into a nightmare! Three times I've had to sand and respray since Tuesday. It's gotta be this friggin humidity. If I had any hair I would pull it out! After the first spray everything looked okay. I left it overnight and the next day I noticed one small spot I had missed by the chainguard side. I figured let me just touch it up real quick. What a mistake. It immediately started cracking into an alligator skin. I let it dry and brought it back upstairs to sand once more. I sanded it down and figured that I may as well sand the whole thing so I don't have a seam where the good paint was. I sanded everything and took it down today. I sprayed it once more with everything looking good and left it hanging. Five minutes later I looked in horror as a totally different spot started scaling. Good Lord! Tomorrow I will have another bout with the sander and this time I am going to take it down with a little rougher grade paper. I'll then bring it to work to shoot in the workshop so that it's not hanging, rather laying flat on the table. I may change and go with the Duplicolor Black this time as it's more of an automotive grade paint. Hopefully I'll have some pics of the finished piece soon.

Good luck painting that tomorrow. I know how frustrating that can be sometimes, but the humidity level seems to have dropped considerably this afternoon so maybe you have another issue. If you have access to some sealer it may not be a bad idea to put a coat of that on there in case the new paint is having a reaction with the old one.

Good luck painting that tomorrow. I know how frustrating that can be sometimes, but the humidity level seems to have dropped considerably this afternoon so maybe you have another issue. If you have access to some sealer it may not be a bad idea to put a coat of that on there in case the new paint is having a reaction with the old one.

Thats a possibility too. I'm going to sand it down tomorrow when I get home and then apply a sandable primer as a better base rather than go atop the sanded basecoat. Good idea Tony, thanks.

I'm looking for various stickers.....what is your source??

Tuning forks (need some for the tank as well as a gel sticker for the upper fairing)

Adam

I seem to have good luck with decals and stickers on Ebay. Give me a small list closely stating what your looking for and I'll send you some "Buy It Now" ads with some really quality stuff at low prices. Wait til you see what I have coming in the next few days!

It is good to know that i'm not the only one who experience this phenomenon with the spray cans. I've waited over 72 hours (in my humid environment -- yea right) and had the a touch up coat ruin the finish as you have described.

The gloss with their base/clear combination does something to react and weaken the last coat if not sufficiently dried. at least that is what someone with more paint knowledge than myself.

You will eventually win---I'm gun shy though with doing the frame -- but I will win (eventually), and so will you!

Adam

Last edited:
It is good to know that i'm not the only one who experience this phenomenon with the spray cans. I've waited over 72 hours (in my humid environment -- yea right) and had the a touch up coat ruin the finish as you have described.

The gloss with their base/clear combination does something to react and weaken the last coat if not sufficiently dried. at least that is what someone with more paint knowledge than myself.

You will eventually win---I'm gun shy though with doing the frame -- but I will win (eventually), and so will you!

Adam

Thanks for the pep talk Adam. I just finished sanding the entire hugger, hopefully for the last time. I'm switching over to the Duplicolor tomorrow as well as their primer that I used on the Nova. I never had that problem with that stuff on the car, even with the humidity. I will come out on top!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, since completing the AIS mod and lower fairings and spark plugs, I figured I had better just finish the rear hugger. It's been sitting in the house since the "big rain" we had back a while ago. I ran down this afternoon and shot two coats of black primer and three light coats of gloss black, followed by a heavy coat to finish it off. I gently closed the door so as not to stir up any dust and came back upstairs. Hopefully tomorrow it will look good enough to say "I'm Done" and mount it. I should have some pictures by tomorrow evening.

I'm finally finished with the hugger! I could have done another couple of coats, but I decided enough was enough. It's good enough for me as is. I polished it up last night and will install it this weekend. Here's a couple of shots. It was already dark out so maybe the weekend shots of it on the bike will show it better.

IMG_0040-1.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

The hugger is going on tomorrow morning bright and early! Thats it, I'm now officially on vacation. Now I can do some enjoyable work. The bike and the car. Will post some pics tomorrow!

Well it's about time you put it on the bike :D. By the way I don't know if you have other plans for tomorrow, but if it's clear in the morning I'll be heading up to Bear Mt for a little while. Let me know if you're going and I'll wait for you at the top.

I don't know why you razzin' him -- I've got projects standing on 3mos -- so lay off the guy and razz me.....

come to think of it --- razz him too.....

I even have projects that had a definite path -- and I just jumped ship and am going in a different direction.....A.D.D. ain't got nothin' on me....

Back