Ran over a loose Re-Tread

Good job! Those should be illegal in my opinion. They always fall off and are a danger to other drivers. I have hit them in my can, in a truck, I have had them fly off right in front of me. I have seen a semi blow one and not notice and drag their wheel throwing sparks. I have seen a semi tire on fire. Just a danger, I don't know how they are allowed???

Glad you stayed upright.

Over here they are only rated to 80kph, but that means nothing as people still use them on the freeways.

I was shocked at how smooth I went over it, but being an avid Mountain Biker, and a dirt bike rider when I was young I am accustomed to the bike moving around underneath me and running over rocks n logs n such. I have just never done it at 60-70mph before.

And yes, they should not be allowed, I too see them way more often than should be allowed and the 5 in San Diego is not even a major Trucking route. Just imagine what the 10 and 40 look like as Trucks cross the Country.....

While I'm no longer an avid Mountain Biker due to age (60+) I still have some muscle memory left and it sure came in handy a couple weeks ago as I was changing lanes at 70 mph on the Freeway did a head check and didn't see the debris on the road aimed at my front wheel. Last fraction of a second I stood on the pegs and almost bunny hopped the object, basic unweighing the bike. Phew talk about a real pucker moment. Also 50 years of riding may have had a little to do with a safe reaction.

While I'm no longer an avid Mountain Biker due to age (60+) I still have some muscle memory left and it sure came in handy a couple weeks ago as I was changing lanes at 70 mph on the Freeway did a head check and didn't see the debris on the road aimed at my front wheel. Last fraction of a second I stood on the pegs and almost bunny hopped the object, basic unweighing the bike. Phew talk about a real pucker moment. Also 50 years of riding may have had a little to do with a safe reaction.

Nice!

Yes I cannot say enough of how my Experience on a dirt bike as a teen helped me when I started riding on street. When my son is old enough he will be on a dirt bike and a mountainbike. If he wants a street bike, he will have to wait until he is closer to 18 if not later and has shown he can be mature on one....

anyway.

Nice!

Yes I cannot say enough of how my Experience on a dirt bike as a teen helped me when I started riding on street. When my son is old enough he will be on a dirt bike and a mountainbike. If he wants a street bike, he will have to wait until he is closer to 18 if not later and has shown he can be mature on one....

anyway.

Yes, riding in the dirt has great benefits for balance and dealing with sudden obstacles either on a mountain bike or a dirt bike. It really teaches your muscle memory for the road hazards and that includes riding a bicycle. I was riding the Hilly Hundred in Southern Indiana probably descending a hill a wee bit too fast and hitting gravel on the curve, kept my cool and maneuvered my road bike just like a mountain bike and rode off road for a bit. The spectators were amazed that I didn't go down. I attributed this feat to off road handling skills.

Back