Rampart Range Road - a little dirt ;)

Yesterday was an exceptionally beautiful day for October...I think we set a record high. So having the day off, John & I decided to pull out the dirt bikes and check out Rampart Range Rd. since they just re-opened it.
When we bought the dirt bikes, our plan was tho go up to RRR because the entrance to it is so close, just through Garden of the Gods Park, but the Waldo Canyon Fire (the one that had us bugged out for a week) changed that and the Forest Service had the road closed for the last 2 yrs.

Garden of the Gods (see the Kissing Camels?)
GardenoftheGods_zps803c499f.jpg

We live on the other side of this quarry
quarry_zps1d2e7814.jpg

John
John_zps9a3d3b0a.jpg

ummmm...???
ummm_zps9e0e7ac2.jpg

some fire damage
WaldoCanyondamage_zps141f48d0.jpg

Rampart Range Rd
RampartRangeRoad_zps67407f08.jpg

warning signs
firesign_zpsb6dc444b.jpg

see that road in the mtn. across there? That's Pikes Peak Highway
PikesPeak_zps8c829634.jpg

saw this old tuck sitting way back off the road, nice hike in full gear to get there! whew!
truck_zpsbbc155cb.jpg

truck2_zps09bac177.jpg

Pikes Peak from from Woodland Park
PikesPeakfromWP_zpsacb0991d.jpg

Dam very nice . Have you or your hubby driven Pikes Peak ?

I've lived here since 1977 and driven it once! LOL and that was in a rental.....it's really hard on your brakes coming down.
There's a halfway point where they stop you to check them (along with the gift shop so you'll go in and spend money) :rolleyes:

Looks like a great ride and beautiful scenery. I also hit the dirt bike yesterday. Had some views, mostly riding some very challenging trails. Had to walk are bikes down 3 switchbacks, they were to tight to make and several hundred feet down if you were unfortunate to take the shortcut to the bottom...lol

Looks like a great ride and beautiful scenery. I also hit the dirt bike yesterday. Had some views, mostly riding some very challenging trails. Had to walk are bikes down 3 switchbacks, they were to tight to make and several hundred feet down if you were unfortunate to take the shortcut to the bottom...lol

Would LOVE to see some pics from your dirt roads there in Idaho! You know, when you're not on such a challenging trail.
Went through there on the street bikes and thought what a pretty place it was...lot like here really.

Back