Questions regarding FZ1 current Cruiser rider. (FZ6 riders please chime in)

thx to everyone for your helpful input, i think since i will do 95% in town with stop and go traffic i will lean towards a fz6.

whats is a fair price for a 2008 fz6 with 3k miles? Owner is asking $5500.00

Even if it's 100% mint he's still asking too much. They used to sell brand new old stock for that. I would say 4.7k would be fair if the bike is absolutely perfect.

Just one more thing about the FZ6: it has a very short friction zone (clutch is like an on/off switch on this bike) and it grabs quite far from the bar. Just something to get used to.

You said it yourself in another post " ... compared to EVERY other bike ... ". It's all about where you're coming from. The OP is coming from a 900cc cruiser which is slow compared to FZ6, nevermind comparing it to FZ1.. FZ1 is a rocket if you're coming from a 900cc cruiser.

I have ridden a Gixxer 1000.. that thing is even more stupid for the street. Yes, it's faster... so what? That doesn't make FZ1 slow at low RPM. It only makes it "slow" if GSXR 1000 if what you're used to and then you've switched to FZ1.

Ride a FZ6 below 8k rpm and compare it to FZ1. Those are the 2 bikes OP is asking about.

Fair enough Eric, it's true that it's all about perspective and what your comparing it to. Even though the Vulcan he's been riding is less powerful at peak hp and torque than the FZ1/FZ6 the power delivery may leave him disappointed. I doubt the FZ's are going to see over 5000 rpm for how and where he wants to ride. The Vulcan makes 40ft lbs almost off idle and peaks at 52ft lbs soon after. Max HP power is at 5900 rpm with a flat broad torque curve.
The kind of engine that's a joy to putt around town with. The FZ6 peaks at 38 ft lbs and thats at over 6000 rpm.

My point being that compared to a cruiser with a broad torque curve all the power delivered at low rpm Both FZ's may feel like terds putting around town.

I imagine Hell being very hot and a place where I'm forced to putt around town on a bike that makes peak power at 10,000 rpm but I'm forced to shift at 5000 rpm. :th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

Last edited:
Just one more thing about the FZ6: it has a very short friction zone (clutch is like an on/off switch on this bike) and it grabs quite far from the bar. Just something to get used to.

Sounds like fun putting around town with a grabby clutch with a narrow engagement band at every stop sign and red light on a bike that makes no low end power. :ugh:
Yeah I'm sure the FZ6 will feel like a true joy after a cruiser with low gearing
and plenty of torque right off idle.

See Eric your right its all about what you compare this to :tup:

thx to everyone for your helpful input, i think since i will do 95% in town with stop and go traffic i will lean towards a fz6.

whats is a fair price for a 2008 fz6 with 3k miles? Owner is asking $5500.00

Sounds like you have decided on what you want. Sorry if I'm sounding like mr negative here. Just trying to help you decide if the bike is right for you.
Try and get a test ride and see how you feel about the clutch,power delivery and comfort.

If you buy the bike and love it....NEVER look back and second guess the purchase because of anything ANYONE or any magazine says.

The only thing that really matters is YOUR opinion. I've never been shy to share my opinion but it's just that.... my opinion.

Plenty of idiots online I may be one of them :disturbed:disturbed:disturbed:

Just ask Eric :laugh2: I'm sure he thinks I'm an idiot ! Truth is I'm not thinking he's the sharpest tool in the shed either right now. :eek5:

Eric and I do have one thing in common. We both just want to help a new guy make a good decision on his next bike purchase. :tup:

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Truth is I'm not thinking he's the sharpest tool in the shed either right now. :eek5:

Eric and I do have one thing in common. We both just want to help a new guy make a good decision on his next bike purchase. :tup:

And one big thing we do not have in common... only one of us is hostile. Have a lovely day.

You just need to take the opportunity to test ride both of the potential bikes and decide from there. Quite frankly, a bike is not represented by its spec sheet. You can read up and compare numbers all day and night and you'll never get an idea of what the bike is like to ride until you do so. We're all different people and as a result, the same bike will fit us all differently. Our idea of what is enjoyable to ride is also different and as a result, the same bike will ride differently too.

Try both, then decide.

And one big thing we do not have in common... only one of us is hostile. Have a lovely day.

I do believe it was YOU that started with the disrespectful tone and mocking laugh smiley. When you posted this in response to my evaluation of the FZ1's power delivery.

"FZ1 is just ridiculously fast.. if you have to rev this bike to 8k to feel the power.. I don't even know what to say... other than you're almost certainly breaking the low even if you're in first gear :th_smiley_rotfl2[1] "

Have a lovey day :th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

All things considered an FZ6 is perfect for your needs. Whatever you do though, don't test ride an FZ1 because then you'll forget about the FZ6. That's what happened to me and a few others here. So when you're in the shop, keep your hands off the FZ1. Don't even look at it. It has some kind of spell or something. Eric (FZ1inNH) just glanced at one and ended up with it. Focus: FZ6, FZ6...

Sounds like you have decided on what you want. Sorry if I'm sounding like mr negative here. Just trying to help you decide if the bike is right for you.
Try and get a test ride and see how you feel about the clutch,power delivery and comfort.

If you buy the bike and love it....NEVER look back and second guess the purchase because of anything ANYONE or any magazine says.

The only thing that really matters is YOUR opinion. I've never been shy to share my opinion but it's just that.... my opinion.

Plenty of idiots online I may be one of them :disturbed:disturbed:disturbed:

Just ask Eric :laugh2: I'm sure he thinks I'm an idiot ! Truth is I'm not thinking he's the sharpest tool in the shed either right now. :eek5:

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

I do believe it was YOU that started with the disrespectful tone and mocking laugh smiley. When you posted this in response to my evaluation of the FZ1's power delivery.

"FZ1 is just ridiculously fast.. if you have to rev this bike to 8k to feel the power.. I don't even know what to say... other than you're almost certainly breaking the low even if you're in first gear :th_smiley_rotfl2[1] "

Have a lovey day :th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

Guys, let's keep it civil around here. Enough with the childish behavior. Neither of you has been around here too long, but this is not tolerated around here.

We can all state our opinions and disagree, but there's not need to insult anybody...

The best advice I can give you is what somebody told me when I was on the fence between a 600 & a 1L. He told me to get the 1L.

I did and it was the right decision.

One of the hundreds of best things about the FZ1 over the FZ6 is simply this.
If you know how to ride then you can get a FZ6 out of the FZ1 all day. But If you buy the FZ 6 and just once in a while have an urge welp you guessed it, its still just a 600. you cant get the FZ1 from the 6.

It comes down to " Better to have and dont need than to need and dont have."

But Imma biker. So I respect what every you choose thats not Harley.
Good luck.

And Yes this opinion comes from someone who got off the FZ1 for a Cruiser!

The VMax is more than a cruiser! I love that bike. The only issues I have with it is it is a little pricey (not that it isn't worth it) and has about a 100 mile range fuel tank. But it's a helluva looker and is comfortable beyond belief just sitting on it. I'd love to try one.

The VMax is more than a cruiser! I love that bike. The only issues I have with it is it is a little pricey (not that it isn't worth it) and has about a 100 mile range fuel tank. But it's a helluva looker and is comfortable beyond belief just sitting on it. I'd love to try one.

If were ever about then for sure you can light it up if you wish.
Your wrong about the 100 mile range per tank. For me and my riding style I can squeeze close to 80miles. lol

J/K It does suck downt he "High Test" as recomended quite quickly. I think I can get about 125 to 130 if I could just stop enjoying the power. But thats like eating a twinkie and never eating the cream. No fun in that.

I Love the Vmax. I have way more fun on this than I ever Did my FZ1. Dont get me wrong, I loved the FZ but the fun factor this bike has is unbelievable.
I dont get left behind and the twisties too often. I hold my own quite well. And what I do lose in the corners I make up on the strights. It can be a real enteraining ride on the Mighty Max!
Ahh! Cruisers there not just for breakfast anymore.

If were ever about then for sure you can light it up if you wish.
Your wrong about the 100 mile range per tank. For me and my riding style I can squeeze close to 80miles. lol

J/K It does suck downt he "High Test" as recomended quite quickly. I think I can get about 125 to 130 if I could just stop enjoying the power. But thats like eating a twinkie and never eating the cream. No fun in that.

I Love the Vmax. I have way more fun on this than I ever Did my FZ1. Dont get me wrong, I loved the FZ but the fun factor this bike has is unbelievable.
I dont get left behind and the twisties too often. I hold my own quite well. And what I do lose in the corners I make up on the strights. It can be a real enteraining ride on the Mighty Max!
Ahh! Cruisers there not just for breakfast anymore.

It also seems a lot more comfortable than the FZ1. With gas stations every 10 feet in this country the mileage probably doesn't matter anyway. I for one can't ride much more than 2 hours without a break although I've gone as long as 3 hours on occasion. Just too damn old I guess.

Well...my 2 cents...:fencers: I agree with just about everything posted. I've ridden all kinds of bikes, and owned several V65 Magna's and I gotta tell you, back in the day, The 65 was truly almost all that. I remember the first time I rode a Vmax. Brand new, and my friend was telling me (as he reluctantly let me ride it), "Hey, watch this thing now, it's a little more than your Magna"....to which my thought was, it can't be that much more. I remember spotting a car, good quarter mile ahead, about 3 lights up, when I romped the Max. Seemed like in wharp time, I was grabbing brakes as I was on the cars bumper. I described the difference as, On my 65, I decide, ok, I'm gunna go fast, and I go fast...right? Well, on the Vmax, I decide, I'm gunna go fast...and I'm already there:hook2: Well, I never bought a max,,,as I saw many that had, and never could get used to this warp speed quickness.
Ok, fast forward 25 years. Never thought I'd own a "sportbike"...and after riding my 5th V65...I was somewhat bored. I went on a ride with a few friends, Ninja, FZ1, Bmw, and a couple of other bike's. One of the guys on an FZ1 was like 70 years old, and as I was in back, when we arrived at the twisties, I was like..."Where the hell did he go.?' I'd run up to the 90's and catch him in the straight's, but only to see him run away when it came to turns....

I did not want to push my 65 anymore than I already was doing. I started looking at the FZ1's. Another friend of mine said, "Hey, if you are considering one of these, (FZ1), you might as well take mine for a ride and see if you like it. Just a few miles later, I got off of his FZ with a look of astonishment. Ok, so where does that leave me....?
:)

I agree with Eric....9k in any gear on my Modded FZ1, has you breaking the Law....The bike isn't real radical (old guys like me like this) but it's lying there waiting for me when I want to wake the beast. Vmax scary under 8k....? No....but I really kinda get bored red light to red light running anyway, and the Fizzy will hold it's own against most. Now before ya say it, yes I've ridden the Busa's, z1000's. Gsxr's...

All around, I just feel the FZ1 is the best bike I've ever owned. Again, I'm older, 52, but I still ride and hang with the whipper snappers....

As stated though, go with what YOU like....enjoy:lurking:

Well...my 2 cents...:fencers: I agree with just about everything posted. I've ridden all kinds of bikes, and owned several V65 Magna's and I gotta tell you, back in the day, The 65 was truly almost all that. I remember the first time I rode a Vmax. Brand new, and my friend was telling me (as he reluctantly let me ride it), "Hey, watch this thing now, it's a little more than your Magna"....to which my thought was, it can't be that much more. I remember spotting a car, good quarter mile ahead, about 3 lights up, when I romped the Max. Seemed like in wharp time, I was grabbing brakes as I was on the cars bumper. I described the difference as, On my 65, I decide, ok, I'm gunna go fast, and I go fast...right? Well, on the Vmax, I decide, I'm gunna go fast...and I'm already there:hook2: Well, I never bought a max,,,as I saw many that had, and never could get used to this warp speed quickness.
Ok, fast forward 25 years. Never thought I'd own a "sportbike"...and after riding my 5th V65...I was somewhat bored. I went on a ride with a few friends, Ninja, FZ1, Bmw, and a couple of other bike's. One of the guys on an FZ1 was like 70 years old, and as I was in back, when we arrived at the twisties, I was like..."Where the hell did he go.?' I'd run up to the 90's and catch him in the straight's, but only to see him run away when it came to turns....

I did not want to push my 65 anymore than I already was doing. I started looking at the FZ1's. Another friend of mine said, "Hey, if you are considering one of these, (FZ1), you might as well take mine for a ride and see if you like it. Just a few miles later, I got off of his FZ with a look of astonishment. Ok, so where does that leave me....?
:)

I agree with Eric....9k in any gear on my Modded FZ1, has you breaking the Law....The bike isn't real radical (old guys like me like this) but it's lying there waiting for me when I want to wake the beast. Vmax scary under 8k....? No....but I really kinda get bored red light to red light running anyway, and the Fizzy will hold it's own against most. Now before ya say it, yes I've ridden the Busa's, z1000's. Gsxr's...

All around, I just feel the FZ1 is the best bike I've ever owned. Again, I'm older, 52, but I still ride and hang with the whipper snappers....

As stated though, go with what YOU like....enjoy:lurking:

Man after all that I figured you were like 85 or something... :th_smiley_rotfl2[1]

Back