Problem with Speedo and temp readings

Hey guys

Been having a prob with the temp reading/sensor lately. Sometimes when I hit the starter, the temp reading jumps from Lo to Hi immediately, with the amber engine lights lit up. And the bike cranks but doesn't start.

Another one is that, the speedo went wonky the other day, suddenly dropping to zero. It didn't work again till I stopped at the lights, then all of a sudden it was fine till yesterday when it all went to zero permanently.

Everything else is OK. fuel indicator OK. indicators OK. Only the speedo is completely at 0, and the intermittent problem of starting the bike when the temp reads a false Hi in the morning for a short moment.

What do you think is the problem?
Sensors? Wiring? ECU?
Don't think it's the instrument cluster...

Thanks guys

I had a similar problem awhile back. Except my would read a constant 68 degrees and the speedo showed blank. For me it was likely a short. I pulled the ECU put some di electric grease after a thorough cleaning, then loosened the zip ties on the temp sensor. They looked more worn that I would like; so I fixed and re assembled. Finally made sure all other aux connections were insulated and grounded. After all that the problem went away. Moisture in the east really gets deep where it shouldn't. Good luck.

Back