Possible to Repair (Pics Inside)

Hey all. First time poster, novice rider. I bought a 2001 FZ1 this summer and was having blast until an accident. Needless to say I only had liability on my bike. Along with a rod in my leg, I also now have part of the engine case missing in the side of my bike. Before I take it to the repair shop, I'd like to know if this is something I can repair myself? I have provided pictures for clarification.

Also, (yes I know I'm a noob) can anyone link me some type of diagram so I can at least describe what I'm talking about in technical terms. For example, I know the yamaha logo is the crank case cover, but what area of the engine is the area (see picture) that is most damaged.

Unfortunately there appears to be damage to the engine case, not just the cover so not sure if it can be easily fixed. Also did the engine continue to run w/o any oil? If so there may be some internal damage as well.

Motor not looking too good to me,chain hanging in the air,looking like a right off.but I am no expert so best to get a proper opinion before ordering any parts

Last edited:
OUCH!!!!
Glad you walked away from that one!!!
Well the good news is that the covers are not that expensive. Here are your diagrams. As a rule - Partshark will have your best prices - although shipping time is not always the best.

http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

Ebay and the classifieds on the forums can also save you a boatload of money. Hopefully the damage is just the covers and not deep. Good luck Bud!

Before I take it to the repair shop, I'd like to know if this is something I can repair myself?

I'm sorry for you.

do you have aluminium welding experience and a machining center?

you may also have valve/piston damage as the timing was abruptly stopped

the frame damage looks repairable but it's not a DIY job

I think you can buy a high mileage gen2 for the price of this repair (done right)

If you dont have teh funds to fix it right go for the part out.

Im no expert but I would say the hanging chain is due to a broken off timing gear drive shaft. And as mentioned damage to the bosses on the lower case that allow covers to be mounted. Your motor requires a full tear down.
If you dont have a friend or reputable motorcycle shop other that a dealer its going to be costly.

What ever you do, Please do it right. Short cuts dont usualy turn out good with bikes.

Good Luck.

Sure does look like the main case is cracked off towards the rear of the timing chain cover. The cam chain tensioner (rear) lower guide mount also appears to be cracked off.

Per a parts fisch, the end of the crank is flush, a part bolts to the end of that for the cam gear: Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

It also appears the cam chain walked its way up when the crankshaft cam gear and ignition rotor got torn off. I'd be pulling the valve cover off first to look at any potential damage on the top end.

If that main case is indeed cracked, its a parts motor now...

Last edited:
IMO it is not worth repairing, the damage is severe to the engine case and there might be potential damage to the pistons and other internal components. To check this you would have to tear down the engine and that's no beginner job. An spare engine would be possible to install but still you would need the frame to be fixed professional. All in all I would sell the bike as a part our bike and buy another one. Such repair jobs can easily become money pits and consume hours of hours of time.

I'd be worried about the frame with all that damage to the engine. It looks like it hit very hard. My non-expert opinion is the engine is most likely toast and I'd have to be sure there was no damage to the frame.

I'm very happy to hear you didn't have more injuries than what you did. Best wishes and prayers on a full and speedy recovery.

I'd guess time, headache and money might be better spent on a different FZ1. There are so many out there for decent prices. If you wanted a Gen II, now's the time, or if you want to stick with a Gen 1, I'm sure you could find a reasonable one.

Hey all. Thanks for the replies. This community is really helpful. I think what I will do is try to sell the bike on craigslist and just take a loss on it. Engine swap may be possible, but I'm not sure its worth the hassle.

It's a humbling experience to have this thing in my leg now. Spring is approaching, if I decided to buy another bike, I'll probably go with an FZ6, think I was a little too arrogant as a novice.

Dayton Ohio Craigslist if anyone is interested in parts. Cheers.

Hey all. Thanks for the replies. This community is really helpful. I think what I will do is try to sell the bike on craigslist and just take a loss on it. Engine swap may be possible, but I'm not sure its worth the hassle.

It's a humbling experience to have this thing in my leg now. Spring is approaching, if I decided to buy another bike, I'll probably go with an FZ6, think I was a little too arrogant as a novice.

Dayton Ohio Craigslist if anyone is interested in parts. Cheers.

Who slow down there.

I dont see the real need in getting a FZ6. You have learned a lesson. Run wiht it. Get another FZ1 if you wish. Mario Andretti said. Only a man who "Goes too Far" knows how far man can go. Youve been there. now back it down a couple notches and enjoy biking.
at the of the day the bike never did anything wrong. Its job is to respond.
As riders we are to respect whats under us no matter how good some riders are.

Who slow down there.

I dont see the real need in getting a FZ6. You have learned a lesson. Run wiht it. Get another FZ1 if you wish. Mario Andretti said. Only a man who "Goes too Far" knows how far man can go. Youve been there. now back it down a couple notches and enjoy biking.
at the of the day the bike never did anything wrong. Its job is to respond.
As riders we are to respect whats under us no matter how good some riders are.

Dude..... that is brilliant! :bowdown:

Thankfully you are OK!

As to the condition of the bike:
1) it may just be the picture, but the left front fork seems to be bent? Could be the fuzziness of pic, but looking at the fairing insert keeps drawing my eye to it.

2) I'd end up just finding a new engine to replace the damaged. It is really not THAT difficult to swap out engines, just need to take many pictures during disassembly so you can remember where everything went.

3)The Frame: the frame comes in two parts. The pics show damage to the part that can be removed and is held in place with bolts at the top and bottom and also the engine mounts. THAT BEING SAID, you hit pretty hard and given the damage, I'd be sure that the attachment points did not wreak havoc on the frame. I would have the frame checked out thoroughly before even attempting to try and rebuild.

I've seen engines for around 6-700.00. Occassionally I've seen just the arms for sale apart from the whole frame (but you still need to be careful with purchase because it could be from a wreck and it could of survived).

Good Luck!

edit: so much for posting on tapatalk (and waiting until morning to finish post) for I see that you have decided to part out

Back