Popping...

That said Geno dude the bike has four more gears ... is 80 in 2nd really necessary? lol :stirpot:

LOL! When passing 5 cars at once I wanted all the power my beasty had to offer. So I just dropped from 4th to second and porked it. Needless to say the little POS t-bucket holding everyone up got a serious ear full of some Holeshot performance. My buddy on his RC51 behind me did pretty good as well, hitting 109 as he waited a second or two until I cleared them for him to get around. :smoking:

So does a pc3 help with this?

Yes it does. When I changed to a Mivv exhaust & removed the AIS I still had popping on decel. I was told it was ok, it won't hurt anything but to me I felt my FZ was not tuned properly so I did the PCIII, BMC filter & Ivan's custom flies with his map and not only is the popping gone but throttle response is butter smoooooooooooth. I also have a file with about 6 differant maps that all work well with my bike but give it a slightly differant personality. To me it was money well spent. good luck!

I think it can be fix with the trottle set points/ open closed set point er something like that Ivan has a how to posted somewhere

Last edited:
Geno,
In all likelihood your issues are related to the stock fueling curve and or the deceleration fuel cutoff. A PC with a proper map would undoubtedly help your bikes performance and may well lessen the popping. I would still expect the loud bang associated with the return to fueling after the decel fuel cutoff. . . .
If you don't want to spend the $200 on an FCE (or buy an Ivan product for that matter) then that's fine but skipping it because of a worry about error codes is silly IMHO. The unit works as advertised and doesn't create an issue with codes for the majority of users. Basically, you are having issues as a result of mods that you have made and the solutions are staring you in the face. . . . You could also wait and see how Hellgate's ecu flash turns out.

PS: Papageorgio, if you are refering to Ivan's tutorial on setting the opening and closing points, that's for a Power Commander install and you would need the Power Commander (which Geno doesn't seem to have)

Last edited:
Mine pops a little in those very high RPMs but nothing I would not expect and no loud bangs at all. I know the bike dumps a ton of fuel up there so WOT to none will definitely produce popping and that is completely normal. Nothing wrong with it, it isn't damaging... In fact, it happens with the stock exhaust to a lesser extent but that is designed to hide it. All this is is excess fuel igniting in the hot pipes. If you're getting a lot of loud bangs and backfires? There's a very rich issue. If it is just a lot of popping and gurgling.... ride on, just ride... :D

Some weeks back, I was on a lengthy trip out of state, and was passing several cars (3 or 4?). By the time I got to the front of the pack, I was also near redline and shifted. The shift occurred just as I was lined up with the lead driver's window - which was opened. The bike made a nice pop. The driver of the car literally jumped out of his seat. Pretty funny to see actually. I'm not sure why he was surprised though. He should of been able to hear me coming from some cars back (2 bro's exhaust with no silencer tip).

Had the same thing happen last year to a passenger on a cruiser bike as I passed them.

Loud pipes do save lives!!!

I have only small amounts of popping, if I run a lean map I get a lot of popping including a real loud crack whilst changing gears. After running up on the dyno the best map is the richer one with a small amount of popping and no crack changing gears, it turns out to be real close to the factory pro map but with changes to the ignition map. The AIS is completely closed off and my tuner re-torqued the header to make sure there are no leaks.

i am running on a slip on, AIS untouched, no PC onboard, and the kitty is still in the headers..

and i get the occasional popping from the rapid decelerations. once i was going down the highway doing 160~170kmh, dropped a gear from the top to 5th gear and had the rpm around 7k rpm..

woohooo.. a slight closing and opening of the throttle was music to the ears.. popping away..:party0011:

learn to appreciate the 'music'.. it ain't really harmful to the engine anyway, just excessive fuel flowing into the headers..

I find it hard to belive that, with all your current mods, that you don't have the PC3.

I feel that adding the PC3, and finding a map that you like will reduce the poping greatly.

I have the PC, homemade AIS block, no FCE. My poping is 5-10% of what it was.

While the poping might float your boat sound wise, I was happy to get rid of it. I don't like letting the "man" know that I'm coming or deceling.

Back