Popping...

Ok so when I got the bike I swapped exhausts and blocked off the ais. However this thing pops like insane amounts if I chop the throttle at say 11k. It sounds like the engine is going to explode. Is there any way to just completely get rid of all the popping? There are no exhaust leaks, and the plugs I used on the ais and air box are in place. I do not want an FCE as check engine lights annoy me and I won't spend 200 on something that will cause the light to come on and sometimes malfunction from what ive been reading about them.

Thanks!

It is all due to unspent fuel hitting the headers. AIS helps to combust that extra fuel more efficiently but does not eliminate it. The problem is extra fuel. Just figure out to not have any extra. :)

Mine sounded like a billion cannons going off at once yesterday with that high of a throttle chop. Normally its no biggie, but I would prefer to just hear a smooth wind down of the engine vs explosions.

Exactly the same thing happened to me when I blocked off the AIS hose.
It would occasionally let out a horrendous bang when the throttle was chopped from high revs and would still pop though not as much.
I ended up unblocking the AIS after that and have learnt to love the popping.
I have read elsewhere that removing the AIS completely helps more and then adding a FCE gets rid of it completely.

Maybe 80? I was in 2nd gear passing a line of 5 cars doing 10 under the limit on a lonnnnng straight road.

Ugh, I don't want an FCE!

Last edited:
Ive learned to love it since everyone who knows me in town know its my bike since the leo can and popping. Only sounds bad from the seat. My bud sais it sound like the fizzers hungry for more. Anyways its kinda my calling card we got a few R1's a buell and a r6 on the block and none of them do that. So mine barks out "here I am, rock you like a hurricane"

Ive learned to love it since everyone who knows me in town know its my bike since the leo can and popping. Only sounds bad from the seat. My bud sais it sound like the fizzers hungry for more. Anyways its kinda my calling card we got a few R1's a buell and a r6 on the block and none of them do that. So mine barks out "here I am, rock you like a hurricane"

amen brother. that's how i feel. power to the popping.

The stock FZ1 map is fat in that zone. Most custom tunes lean the map out overall, my map is leaned about 2 to 9 points of trim from TP 40% up, and from 5000 rpm and up; depending on the cell of course.

My AIS is works and I get a nice crackle, no big pops at all.

FYI - Where to stock map is lean is in the 20% TP; that's were you cruise most of the time, and I assume where the EPA test is done. Where it is pig rich is 2500 rpm to 4000 rpm, from 40% TP and up. Mine is leaned from 5 points up to 20 points, most changes in that zone are 10+. So don't buy the, "She runnin' lean." line. (Use your best pirate, Harley, crusty old fart voice here.) As in, "I 'ad ta lay 'er down. She's jus' too par-ful for meh."

I want to know how fast you were going at 11k :)

I dunno about Geno ... but I tried this today and hit 70 before I ran out of road ;)

The GYTR handled the decel just fine and have to say the overall sound was SICK !!!

That said Geno dude the bike has four more gears ... is 80 in 2nd really necessary? lol :stirpot:

Back