Photos of my crashed bike (deer encounter)

Rex D.

The photo of the huge culvert is where I fell off and slid to the bottom, about 20 feet. Photo of deer is for entertainment purposes only. My apologies to PETA but the bulls eye target is exactly where I hit the animal and he was standing just like that and looking right at me.

Last edited:
I always "gear up" even in the heat of summer, I switch to mesh which is what I was wearing. The ride was only 8 miles home from the airport hangar but I always gear up. The trauma folks said "you are the cleanest motorcyle victim we have ever seen", "normally you would be torn up". They would not believe me when I described the crash and my internal injuries, joint injuries etc. due to my lack of "rash". The first hospital send me home with a cracked pelvis. I had to go right back due to pain and requested "the other hospital". I then again explained the injuries to those folks, they listened and found the rest of my cracked and broken parts.

I hit a deer when driving in a car when I was a teenager--at night. It sucked. Killed the deer. Smashed in the front grill, broke a headlight, & bent in part of the radiator of a van I was driving. Nothing more. No other trauma. I should have learned to slow down from that, but it took me a little longer...

I saw the deer well in advance approaching the side of the road. I do remember seeing the deer transfixed in my headlights, and, being the dumbass hard-head I was at that time, I figured I could increase speed and get around it. I found out then that if your headlights move out of the deer's vision, the deer will start to move again. But it then moves INTO the lights again!? So then it runs towards me. Towards my lights. And so then it stops again, just staring into my headlights as I realize too late that I should brake instead of accelerate.

Moral to my story? Be in less of a rush and slow down. I could have stopped and waited for the deer to move off the road. It would have taken an extra minute, but it would have saved me from what happened. I'll never forget that.

Ouchhhhh , , ,

Holy inverted flight, Rex !! From one pilot to another, I am GLAD you are on the mend, and, back on a motorcycle again !!:thewave:
Thanks for sharing your experience with us, and the pictures!! Awesome recovery !!

Screw PETA ! I say we have a free hunting and feed all the homeless with venison until we run out of the forest rats.

Thanks for the good post and stay out of the first hospital!

Glad to see your ok, and things weren't worse!

As for killing ALL the deer, we always as humans feel that way don't we? It inconveniences us, so kill the whole species. Get whatever it is out of our way. We ARE after all the top of the food chain. Why not?

As for PITA, gross. They don't have much support anymore. The Humane Society gets my dough.

Sucks to see such a grey bike do busted up, and accidents suck, and as hard as it is to swallow, ya just gotta say THANK YOU it wasn't worse. Did ya haveta buy new gear? I know my accident I needed a new jacket and helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to see your ok, and things weren't worse!

As for killing ALL the deer, we always as humans feel that way don't we? It inconveniences us, so kill the whole species. Get whatever it is out of our way. We ARE after all the top of the food chain. Why not?

As for PITA, gross. They don't have much support anymore. The Humane Society gets my dough.

Sucks to see such a grey bike do busted up, and accidents suck, and as hard as it is to swallow, ya just gotta say THANK YOU it wasn't worse. Did ya haveta buy new gear? I know my accident I needed a new jacket and helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, whats with this fucked up attitude of killing all the deers. This kind of attitude has resulted into species getting extinct and will eventually will be one of the causes of the end of human race on this planet. This disgusts to me no ends. Deers are absolutely harmless poor and sweet creatures.

Well I was all for textile riding gear until I learned the truth; millions of textiles give their lives every year to make clothing. Appalling.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

Screw PETA ! I say we have a free hunting and feed all the homeless with venison until we run out of the forest rats.

Thanks for the good post and stay out of the first hospital!

'Forest Rats'; love it, cull the heard. There's a large heard of deer that roam around my neighborhood.

Oh Dear !

Lucky your ok . We dont have that problem here , but the similar thing in kangaroos and wallabies ( smaller kangaroo version ) and emu's ( giant birds that run not fly )

They dont stand on the road like deer , they just jump in front on you from the side of the road , and will ruin anyones day unlucky enough to hit one.

Don't forget the wombats. You hit one of them and you are going straight over the bars and down the road. Those little fat buggers are made of stone..lol

Back