PCV Question

I recently purchased a new to me 2009 fz1 - 6500 miles - like new. Love the bike but definitely will be looking to add Ivan's full package VERY SOON. Would love to get the performance closer to my old R1 levels, sounds like that is just the ticket to do it!

So far, all I have done is the airbox mod and added a KN. Plan to add a full YOSH with the Ivan package.

My question is this: I will likely not be getting the ECU Flash and Full system for a few months - would it be worthwhile to go ahead and get the PCV (or PCFC as Ivan suggest) now? If so, would you suggest using just a map meant for stock or are there any maps for Mod Airbox with Stock Exhaust?

I have NOT gutted the Cat and since I plan to add a full system my initial plan was to leave Cat in place for resale purposes down the road should I ever decide to.

Your thoughts/suggestions are appreciated!

Ivan's flash requires a Power Commander anyway so if you wanted to buy it first, why not? There are lots of maps available online for various states of modification.

What Dustin said.

You are going to need it anyway if you go with Ivan's ECU flash and even if you don't flash it, it can still be used to tune the bike better with whatever mods you decide on.

Thanks guys.....I was aware that the PC was required. Ivan's ECU and the full system is probably the next think I do.

Just wondered how much benefit it would be for me to go ahead and get the PC now, rather than wait to get all as a package. I can get it for slightly less if I get all as a package with Ivan, but not enough to make huge difference.

Would I expect to see much difference with the PCV at this time? I know there are some that say get a PC always, that all US bike fueling sucks do to EPA - but I have read that the stock PC map is pretty close to the stock ECU map from mama yama.

Considering you really only have an airbox mod at the moment, I think I'd just hold off if I were you. Even if you added a K&N, you would probably see no real-world benefit until you went a bit further with the modifications.

Here is what I would do.

I would get all your exhaust, intake mods done including

- full system exhaust
- air filter
- air box mod (if you want to, I personally haven't bothered)
- AIS removal

then get the PCV

You then have everything ready to make the most of the flash so next would be

Ivan's Flash

finally I would get it onto a dyno with a good tuner and have them tune the bike for all your mods. Make sure you have a full tank of the fuel you are going to use in future (ie high octane).

Then you will have the best performing bike you can get without pulling the engine apart and tinkering in there.

I did it the expensive way

slipon and pcv with a dynotune

added BMC air filter and headers with new slipon and another dynotune,

then got the flash and tuned again.

the bike saw improvements on the dyno after each mod, but with the cost of a professional tuner, it cost a lot more than if I had just got it tuned at the end.....

Back