Other Bike Talk

AML

So AML, what do people ride over there ? What's cool, and what's not ? And please, don't waste any keypresses on Bosozoku :p

The most popular bikes by far are the large scooters. For the city they make sense. No gear shifting, and good fuel economy.

But personaly I hate those bikes. (probably coz everyone has them :D )

Next to those a lot of people like naked sports bikes with a more classic look.

Something like the XJR 1300

I see a lot of 400cc kawasakis and suzukis, a few Hondas and Yamahas.

If you go to where all the bikers hang you start to see nicer bikes like Ducatis and Aprilas.

Actually it has 2 more Nm of torque, and that's not enoug to kick you off. Then, it has 50 less horsepower and half the revs, so the torque comes quicker, but how it actually feels it's like an electric motor, pulls straight from the beginning, but it doesn't build up to explode in a rage of horsepower.

It's just smooth and strong. You might say it's boring if you're used to screamers

I've ridden once an XJR1300 2005-model from Amsterdam to Antwerp, and have to say was not impressed. It is smooth indeed and it will bring you fast forward, but has not the kick you have with the FZ1.

translation: BOOOORIIING

ok, maybe not extremely boring, just a bit dull compared to the FZ1, as the previous speaker stated. I would say I'd rather drive an FZ6 S2 than an XJR1300, the FZ6 was mental, it had a redline at 14000 rpm, and it woke the hooligan in me virtually every time I turned on the ignition. Even though I wouldn't take it for a touring journey, it was so much fun.

Last edited:
Ive noticed with JP bikes that even if they have big engines (over 1000cc) it doesnt mean they have crazy acceleration.

Another example would be the new Honda CB1100

Bigger engine than the bike its replacing (the CB750), but nowhere near as much acceleration or fun for that matter

After test riding it I was left with the impression that it was designed for people in their 60s who want a no thrills bike that gets them where they are going.

Yepp, that's how it is. Old people want retro looking bikes which don't risk elevating their heart rate. I can't help wondering if the Kawasaki ZRX1200 is just as dull

Actually I was at a track day a couple of weeks ago, and I was completely humilliated by many, which was kindof ok since it was my second time on a track, with a new bike. at first, I couldn't even keep up with an older guy on an Africa Twin.. he was much faster in the corners, but by the end of the day things started looking much better. Still, I saw some impressive stuff done by older guys on BMW R1200:s and other less powerful bikes.

But, that doesn't change that the target buyer group for the naked retro bikes seem to be people who don't value acceleration and power as much as torque and smoothness. I wonder who those people might be ...

Actually I was at a track day a couple of weeks ago, and I was completely humilliated by many, which was kindof ok since it was my second time on a track, with a new bike. at first, I couldn't even keep up with an older guy on an Africa Twin.. he was much faster in the corners, but by the end of the day things started looking much better. Still, I saw some impressive stuff done by older guys on BMW R1200:s and other less powerful bikes.

But, that doesn't change that the target buyer group for the naked retro bikes seem to be people who don't value acceleration and power as much as torque and smoothness. I wonder who those people might be ...

Actually, I specifically wanted acceleration and power but in a more comfortable package than many of the track bikes I've owned in the past. I truly enjoyed the FJR1300 I owned for a while before I went back to the dark side of full-on sportbikes, but at this point with a wife I went after the FZ1.

I needed it for its high-end horsepower for me to tap into when alone and tame midrange for when the wifey is on the back. I also wanted the chain drive.

I even added the retro kit so I guess I'm exactly the guy you might have thought of, but when it all came down to it, this FZ1 does all I need it to do and does it in a way I can live with for a long time.

Best wishes to all!

Yes, its near-sportbike performance in a more comfortable, and less costly package. A Fireblade, which I think is the best sportbike for me, is a lot more expensive to own, so I went for the FZ1. I still haven't found anything else I'd rather have. The KTM 990-s are very fun at low speeds and twisties but as soon as you hit the freeway you just want to jump off.
Very nice retro colors, did you do that yourself ?

I was asked to move in the same area as my team today. No more 2 desks, no more spreading out used coffee cups all over, no more forums, youtube and emails, I have my back to the executive project manager :(

I was asked to move in the same area as my team today. No more 2 desks, no more spreading out used coffee cups all over, no more forums, youtube and emails, I have my back to the executive project manager :(

I sort of know the feeling... we have short cube walls. My boss sits right next to our cube area and my back is to him so I usually only get online when he is in a meeting, at lunch or off-site. Being down stairs for the day is a bonus.... he can't see me. ;)

I wonder how the new Ducati Multistrada 1200 is compared to the FZ1. It's got equal power, and it's lighter. It also has a stupid LCD display with LCD rev counter bar (!! arrgh). It's also more expensive, even in the low-end version, without the Ohlins, but being a Ducati I don't worry about the second hand value. I'm going to take a test drive this weekend, see how it feels between my legs. What's on paper is never the whole truth

Back