OT: So, tell me about buyers and paypal

I have used paypal many times and never had a problem. However, I suspect I have a scammer now trying to do something......

Question is - how can a scammer "get at me" by gaining my paypal info? Is it to use my info somehow or to later claim product not received, etc. and avoid paying?

So, I advertised a Sony HandyCam I am selling and got a text on my phone requesting MY paypal info to make the payment........but, I'm highly skeptical of it (because of the other details).

Thanks.

No Expert

I'm no expert on this despite having used Paypal many times. Almost all were with members here and I never had an issue.

I think the danger may lie in that once paid they get you to ship and then cancel the transaction. I am not sure how a hacker would gain access to your account with just your Paypal address (email)?? I covered my butt by having a separate account that was linked to my paypal, and I did not attach a credit card to the account. I never left any significant amount of money in my paypal account, so that if I was scammed somehow, it could never be to any big amount.

I'm sure there are some younger more tech savvy members that can tell you of the dangers.

If you are seriously suspicious walk away from the deal.

All he wants is your email address to make payment, that is how it works. Haven't had an issue in 10-years of ebay, paypal, and craigslist. Just use your common sense.

Last edited:
Yes, normally that is how it works.

However, I think I will walk away like Lee mentioned. We have dealt before, I believe, so I feel comfortable with that advice.

Let's just say, the text asking me to ship to western Africa and offering substantially more than I advertised it for........plus other extra info in details about why he wanted it, that I never asked for - made me think of scam emails I used to get at one of my accounts. It almost funny to see the lengths of it. Like 5 page texts! I can only laugh. I don't remember craigslist being this bad before.

However, I think I will walk away like Lee mentioned. We have dealt before, I believe, so I feel comfortable with that advice.

Let's just say, the text asking me to ship to western Africa and offering substantially more than I advertised it for........plus other extra info in details about why he wanted it, that I never asked for - made me think of scam emails I used to get at one of my accounts. It almost funny to see the lengths of it. Like 5 page texts! I can only laugh. I don't remember craigslist being this bad before.

Yep, I've had those when selling on Kijiji. I won't even respond to those emails. BIG RED FLAG there!

I would give him your cell number first and ask for a phone call before shipping anything. Paypal can protect you to some extent I suppose, but if he is a verified member then he can dispute you with the snap of his fingers, or dispute the charge with his credit card company if he pays that way.

If he is willing to talk on the phone he probably has good intentions.

Yep walk away for sure !

Back