Opinions Please

Those photos are great. Believe it or not I really like the one in the park. I've always enjoyed candid photos. I remember being in college with nothing to say to someone I had no relationship with growing up (my father) and trying to find something to talk about. After searching inside to find a way to share with him, I began to discuss college football with him to see if we agreed on anything.

Norm, I can never be sure, but I would think your son remembered talking to you about something you are so passionate about all the time. Just seeing you and Jake talking about it in the outdoors like that tells me he was trying to be close to you, and successful at doing it. It's a great moment captured in photography you have there, Norm.

Okay, I'll return the thread to the topic of your bike again. Let's get some pics!

Thank you again Brian. That was beautiful. I myself had a bad relationship with my dad. We never spoke once I left the house. He was a mean cuss that kicked the crap out of the four of us kids and that wasn't even the bad part. The bad part was the things he said to us. There wasn't a day that went by that he didn't call me an idiot, a moron, or an imbecile, and he meant it. My mom would leave the house when he got real crazy, leaving us to our own devices.

So my life was dedicated to being good to all kids. Kids have no money, no say, no clout, and are vulnerable in so many ways. Jake went everywhere with me, as did my daughter. One of the greatest things I've heard from a number of dads is that they revealed to me that they envied my relationship with my son and how close we were and that they felt they were never close to their own sons and never would be. So I've got that. We were tight for the time he was here and I have to be thankful for that. So thanks again Brian for your kind words.

Now back on topic. I got the FZ1 and she's a beauty. Here are some crappy phone pics but you get the idea:

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMDUtMjAxMDEyMTAtMTc0Ny5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMDYtMjAxMDEyMTAtMTc0OC5qcGc.jpg

The C14 in the foreground and the FZ1 in the back:

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMDctMjAxMDEyMTAtMTc0OC5qcGc.jpg

This one catches the Helix which my friend left here for now. I think he's reticent to take it back because Jake learned how to ride on that bike:

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMDgtMjAxMDEyMTAtMTc0OS5qcGc.jpg

These pictures really are crappy and I'll have better ones in the next couple of days but the bike is as advertised: A mint 2007 cobalt blue with 7500 miles and not a scratch to be found. I loved, loved, loved riding her again. The FZ1 is simply one of the greatest bikes, in my humble opinion.

Congrats Norm!!! This is AWESOME! I get my FZ1 local buddy back! Now I know you'll hold on to this one for sure! :D Let the modding begin! We will have to have a Busted Knuckle session in the spring so you can get this one to your liking. Are you going to order the seats from TS? Let me know if you want help with the ordering. ;)

:thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave: :thewave:

Thank you again Brian. That was beautiful. I myself had a bad relationship with my dad. We never spoke once I left the house. He was a mean cuss that kicked the crap out of the four of us kids and that wasn't even the bad part. The bad part was the things he said to us. There wasn't a day that went by that he didn't call me an idiot, a moron, or an imbecile, and he meant it. My mom would leave the house when he got real crazy, leaving us to our own devices.

So my life was dedicated to being good to all kids. Kids have no money, no say, no clout, and are vulnerable in so many ways. Jake went everywhere with me, as did my daughter. One of the greatest things I've heard from a number of dads is that they revealed to me that they envied my relationship with my son and how close we were and that they felt they were never close to their own sons and never would be. So I've got that. We were tight for the time he was here and I have to be thankful for that. So thanks again Brian for your kind words.

I think this is a quote out of my own life Norm. I am the product of the same household. To this day I rarely say one word to him, but I do allow Richie to speak with him on the phone. Getting verbally and physically abused was a way of life for me while growing up. Once I was too big for the "strap" he came up with the "stick"(2x4). My brother and sister think that I'm too hard on him and they have since forgiven him but I guess everyone is different. They both had it a bit easier when I turned 16 and left home. My mother followed soon after. I assume that he was afraid of everyone leaving him so he turned 180 and pretty much allowed my brother and sister to do what they pleased. I swore that I would never treat my children that way and have held that oath to today. When you treat your children with love and respect, it shines through in every aspect of their life. I'm glad that I was the one to break the cycle of abuse so that my bloodline can take a turn for the better. My son is a perfect example of that. I'm proud to know that you too, were able to break that cycle that can easily be passed along for generations. I never look for pity even though I've lived a hard life. I am making the most of my life right now and enjoy watching Richie excel in all areas of his life. I'm so happy that you made it a point to be close to your children and I'm positive that they appreciate all you do for them. You have dedicated your life to helping others and I believe that even that "mean old cuss" would have to be proud of you!

The bike looks great. I can't wait to see some daylight photos. Enjoy the heck out of it Norm, you deserve it buddy!:tup:

I think this is a quote out of my own life Norm. I am the product of the same household. To this day I rarely say one word to him, but I do allow Richie to speak with him on the phone. Getting verbally and physically abused was a way of life for me while growing up. Once I was too big for the "strap" he came up with the "stick"(2x4). My brother and sister think that I'm too hard on him and they have since forgiven him but I guess everyone is different. They both had it a bit easier when I turned 16 and left home. My mother followed soon after. I assume that he was afraid of everyone leaving him so he turned 180 and pretty much allowed my brother and sister to do what they pleased. I swore that I would never treat my children that way and have held that oath to today. When you treat your children with love and respect, it shines through in every aspect of their life. I'm glad that I was the one to break the cycle of abuse so that my bloodline can take a turn for the better. My son is a perfect example of that. I'm proud to know that you too, were able to break that cycle that can easily be passed along for generations. I never look for pity even though I've lived a hard life. I am making the most of my life right now and enjoy watching Richie excel in all areas of his life. I'm so happy that you made it a point to be close to your children and I'm positive that they appreciate all you do for them. You have dedicated your life to helping others and I believe that even that "mean old cuss" would have to be proud of you!

The bike looks great. I can't wait to see some daylight photos. Enjoy the heck out of it Norm, you deserve it buddy!:tup:

Thanks Billy. Sounds like our fathers were blood brothers. Same thing here. I was the oldest and took most of the really bad stuff. My sisters had forgiven him but I'm sad to say when he died we hadn't spoke in years. It's too bad because he died a lonely man. Despite my son's abbreviated life we had a lot of time together and a lot of togetherness. Depression is a nasty disease though and despite my best efforts I couldn't get him to see any good in the world. My daughter, totally opposite: she's the happiest kid I know. Life's complicated. But all that aside for a moment I'm so happy to be paired with an FZ1 again and all my FZ1 buddies on this forum. One more try at a picture:

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMDktMjAxMDEyMTAtMjAxNi5qcGc.jpg

I tried to ride it home and got a few miles. We brought the trailer because it was 17 degrees out with a high a 24 and I couldn't use any of my heated clothing. So we pulled over and put it in the enclosed trailer.

Yea Eric, A TS seat is probably in my future but the first mod will be frame sliders. Then I'd love to get those pazzo levers again. I loved those.

Oh yea, I put a battery tender and hookup for my Gerbings on tonight so tomorrow I'm going to try to put a bunch of miles on her. Temps supposed to be up to 40's tomorrow. I just couldn't make it the hour ride home in today's weather...nasty!!!

Norm:

I don't know you but i am sorry about your son from just reading the posts. I do have one thing in common with you. I purchased an 07 FZ-1 last night in SC. I drove from the Charlotte, NC area picked it up. It had 3900 miles on it and I paid 4700. it is my first street bike. My son and I ride dirt bikes toghether and I cherish the special time we have (he is 14 and I have 2 honda CRF230s) I am scared as hell of this thing and I will get geared up heavily tommorow or Monday before I drive it. I did drive it about a mile to test it last night in sub zero weather. Good luck with yours and be safe.

Norm:

I don't know you but i am sorry about your son from just reading the posts. I do have one thing in common with you. I purchased an 07 FZ-1 last night in SC. I drove from the Charlotte, NC area picked it up. It had 3900 miles on it and I paid 4700. it is my first street bike. My son and I ride dirt bikes toghether and I cherish the special time we have (he is 14 and I have 2 honda CRF230s) I am scared as hell of this thing and I will get geared up heavily tommorow or Monday before I drive it. I did drive it about a mile to test it last night in sub zero weather. Good luck with yours and be safe.

Thank you very much. Yea, I paid $4500 for one with 7500 miles. I previously had a 2009 FZ1 modded up that I put 13,000 miles on. It's a fantastic bike but one that deserves respect. So being scared of it is a good thing. It's funny, when I asked the guy for a test ride he kept asking me if I knew how powerful it was and to please be careful. I had to keep reassuring him I had one before, lol.

Ok.. I may be biased but there is nothin' like an FZ1 in the garage!!! Good for you man... you deserve to treat yourself... too bad the ride home (or part of it) was pretty tough to take but look forward to warmer months and the dawn of a new day...

Enjoy :D

Back