Opinions Please

You're tellin' me. I've sold a bunch of bikes that I wished I'd kept. The thing about bikes is, there's so many different types & styles out there that you just have to try 'em all.

I'm already itchin' to sell the FZ1 (as great as it is) and try something else. :eek:

If only I could have 6 or 7 at once...

Yea, I'm totally with you on that. If left to my own devices I'd have at least 10 bikes in my garage...and a divorce...

Yea, I'm totally with you on that. If left to my own devices I'd have at least 10 bikes in my garage...and a divorce...

Hmmmmm?????, Let me see??? 10 bikes in the garage?.......divorce?..........10 bikes in the garage?............divorce?...........10 bikes in the garage?............divorce?........Oh so sorry honey!

So which one should I ride today?????:tup:

Why not pick up a DRZ400SM for putting around ... Just a thought. Seems like a waste of money to have a C14 & an FZ1. As far as I'm concerned, the DRZ400SM is a near-perfect city bike and you can do a lot of hilarious stuff on it

"Hilarious stuff on it" ... I can only imagine. That bike looks like so much fun but I could never own one... I'd want to jump everything in sight and probably end up arrested! LOL

whoop.gif

It's the kind of bike that really encourages you to be a hooligan. I've heard people say that and just figured it was BS, but it really does make you ride like a jackass!

Doing wheelies everywhere, going through parks and pedestrian areas and on sidewalks and you name it... The first day I bought it I was ripping through ditches and between trees and all kinds of bad news :eek:

Last edited:
It's the kind of bike that really encourages you to be a hooligan. I've heard people say that and just figured it was BS, but it really does make you ride like a jackass!

Doing wheelies everywhere, going through parks and pedestrian areas and on sidewalks and you name it... The first day I bought it I was ripping through ditches and between trees and all kinds of bad news :eek:

That does sound like an awesome bike! I'd probably kill myself on it before I got off the driveway.

I guess what I mostly want is to offset the bulk of the C14 with a light speedster.
But now that things are a little more clear I'm thinking FZ6, FZ1, etc. The saga continues. Thanks for your opinions. I do think I'm going to take a ride over and look at it though and if I do I'll pick Eric up on the way.

My FJR is my long distance- let's have fun in the twistys (upgraded suspension really helps) bike and with 72K on the clock I have no intention to sell it. But it still is a 650 # bike and I wanted something lighter for riding the Sierra Nevada twisty's I live in. So I bought a new FZ6 in 07 to play on the and it was fun but after 13k miles I was tired of having to ring it's neck to get to the performance side. I doubt you would be satisfied with the wimpy brakes and suspension compared to a FZ1.
I really like my 08 FZ1, having put 7k on it just riding the local twisty's since spring. The fact that all the good engine mods were already done and it was tuned by the same guy who built the motor of the world's fastest motorcycle BUB's Streamliner 7 never hurt either :shine:
However I have a friend who has a 02 Tuono and man is that a sweet bike! Just about as quick as a FZ1 but it has better low end grunt and will handle the tight stuff so nice. With his aftermarket can that v twin sounds so sweet. Upright seating and Italian sexy look too.
Just one more bike to think about:tup:

My FJR is my long distance- let's have fun in the twistys (upgraded suspension really helps) bike and with 72K on the clock I have no intention to sell it. But it still is a 650 # bike and I wanted something lighter for riding the Sierra Nevada twisty's I live in. So I bought a new FZ6 in 07 to play on the and it was fun but after 13k miles I was tired of having to ring it's neck to get to the performance side. I doubt you would be satisfied with the wimpy brakes and suspension compared to a FZ1.
I really like my 08 FZ1, having put 7k on it just riding the local twisty's since spring. The fact that all the good engine mods were already done and it was tuned by the same guy who built the motor of the world's fastest motorcycle BUB's Streamliner 7 never hurt either :shine:
However I have a friend who has a 02 Tuono and man is that a sweet bike! Just about as quick as a FZ1 but it has better low end grunt and will handle the tight stuff so nice. With his aftermarket can that v twin sounds so sweet. Upright seating and Italian sexy look too.
Just one more bike to think about:tup:

Thanks for that, it was very helpful. I'm thinking I'll see if I can work out that deal for the '07 FZ1. Of course my opinion may change in 10 minutes but it's always great to hear someone's personal experience with something you're trying to figure out. I'm thinking the same thing. I really do love that '10 C14 and have no intention of getting rid of it. But I want a lighter bike to go with it and that 250 ain't cuttin' it.

Norm, in response to your question about the Ninja 650R, my response would be RUN AWAY. You'd be bored to death in about 10 minutes. Your expectations of the KLX250 were probably appropriate for a 250, but your expectations of the 650 would be higher than the bike could produce. Hope that makes sense from someone who has ridden it.

I thought an FZ6 would be a good middle ground, but it seems Eric has more experience with you personally and knows that you'd end up unhappy. I also owned a 2003 DRZ400SE Dual Sport, and it was fun, but I sold it because the seat was so darn thin and narrow I hated being on it for more than a half hour. Also, it started to get hard to lift my leg high enough to get on it!

If you really want an FZ1 and it's not a problem financially or with your family, then just go for it. The beautiful thing about decisions in life is that we can always changed them! I'm sure it won't be your last bike!

Good luck, and post some pics of the 07 when you see it. Hopefully it's in good shape and what you're looking for.

b

Norm, in response to your question about the Ninja 650R, my response would be RUN AWAY. You'd be bored to death in about 10 minutes. Your expectations of the KLX250 were probably appropriate for a 250, but your expectations of the 650 would be higher than the bike could produce. Hope that makes sense from someone who has ridden it.

I agree, it is kind of an underwhelming bike. I've had the opportunity to ride one several times and although I thought the motor was quite nice with good power characteristics, it's definitely not a very interesting bike.

That said, the Versys is a fantastic machine and it uses the same basic platform. :)

I am surprised no one mentioned Ninja 1000? Much better torque and power in stock form. That would be a great replacement for the C14 too ;) But I love the C14, one of my local riders hauls ass on it big time.

Brian, you're a man after my own heart and I'm with Dustin as well. I didn't expect much from the KLX250 but I know just as Brian said if I get the Ninja 650R I'm definitely going to be comparing it to the FZ1 and it's bound to disappoint me. I've called a few dealers and the best they'll give me on the KLX is $2500. So I think I'm going to take this deal and head over and get that FZ1 for $4500. One of the dealer's I frequent told me that $4500 for that FZ1 is a good deal so I'll lose on one end but make out OK on another. For you members with '07 FZ1's you haven't had any issues have you?

Thanks for the kind words, Norm. Maybe it's a perspective we've acquired with age? Like wine or cheese?

I've had no issues at all except for the severe popping on deceleration with the Yamaha GYT-R pipe and PCIII on it. I belive that's common on every year of the Gen II.

I'm very happy with mine. I think you'll be very happy as well.

Now we're all excited about seeing some pics of your new ride! When do you think you're going to pull the trigger on this thing?

Here's looking forward to new stories of renewed love for your FZ1! Stay safe, and post up when you can.

I'm going to try to get this all done tomorrow if I can. My wife will be in her usual "beside herself" condition when I come home with it but with all I've been through with my son I think I deserve it...as much as anyone deserves anything I guess. I still break down a time or two each day missing my son but all in all I'm doing OK and my motorcycle "habit" has turned out to be a wonderful distraction.

You're a better man than I for having dealt with your tragedy with such grace.

Go get your bike! I demand photos!

Thank you. You're very kind. I don't really feel like I'm better than anyone these days, not that I thought about it all that much before. It is an experience I would wish on no one, but it does make you re-evalute your life in so many ways. Jake made me a better man. And that's what I'll choose to take away from this.

157073_476027338068_697428068_5620007_978091_n.jpg

Not to hijack my own thread but here we are in Yellowstone National Park this past summer and he was riding on the back of my 2009 C14. He was asking me about riding tips and my friend caught us mid conversation. There really wasn't much I could teach him any more for the past few years because he was that brilliant but he was smart enough and nice enough to engage me on some of my favorite things in life and listen intently as I lost myself in conversation

The other picture I hold close to my heart, just before he left for college:

Jake.jpg

OK, that's it. I promise not to hijack any more. Hopefully tomorrow will have pics of the FZ1!

That second pic is the one I grabbed off the news site Norm. That is a great picture of Jake.

How are you getting the FZ1? Do you have help? Need a trailer? Truck?

Back