One More, Johnny's Track Bike Build

johnnyontherocks

The Cosmic Avenger
One more in the works. Its great seeing all these track bikes happening here.

For thos who dont know this is the 08 ZX6R I picked up at a steal last year 100% stock. I did a few days with it and love it for its intended purpose.
IMG_0771.jpg

RB8_1718.jpg

In the last week I added speedy moto clip ons and new grips. Not much to see pictures coming soon. Yestarday I ordered the racing plastics. I might have one dilema to address. The stock exhaust may not work with it. I really dont want to spend money on a exhaust just yet. A guy on a ZX6r site did a photoshop of what I think I want. I told him early nineties and this is what he came up with and what I will try to do.
ZX-9Re1_OR_coast.jpg

Today I mounted some Q2's and ordered Galfer lines and EBC pads. I'll add some photos after mounting up the body work.

I am getting really excited about this years track season, I hope we are able to get together for a bunch of tarck days with TPM this year John. I love the retro paint sceme it will look great! Are going to paint the wheels as well?

Someone will have to show me how to post pics like you did here and the way Bill has been in his rebuild thread with a description under or above each photo.

Pete I'm going to leave the wheels black until I can get a set off ebay. Then I will do the front green and the rear blue. Pete start a photobucket account, upload your photos there then its easy just to link them.

Well I got a big box today and tried to be as industrious as possible so here we go.

Speedymoto clipons.
IMG_0874.jpg

Unloaded and primed.
IMG_0873.jpg

Some color added.
IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0876.jpg

Waiting for the whit on the upper to dry over night so I can tape it and lay down the green then the blue triangle. I will also strip the tank and prime. The fender and rear cowl will get cleared.

Looking good, hopefully the weather cooperates with you tomorrow so you can get some more painting done. I am waiting anxiously for my body work to be done at the painters.

Are you going to paint the tank? if you do try and use engine enamal paint or a engine enamal clear coat it holds up better to gas spills, the regular rattle can will melt right off. I learned that one the hard way.

Wow, that was fast.

Are you shooting paint or rattle can?

What body kit did you buy?

Moto Fairings out of Florida. I thing the actual manufacture's name is Moto Adrea out of Peru. $450.00 shipped with a double bubble and hardware. I recieved it 3 days after I ordered it.

Ye ol Rustolem cans and wet sanding. The green is actually a Gloss engine paint and matches the old school Kawi green in a most amazing way.

Moto Fairings out of Florida. I thing the actual manufacture's name is Moto Adrea out of Peru. $450.00 shipped with a double bubble and hardware. I recieved it 3 days after I ordered it.

Ye ol Rustolem cans and wet sanding. The green is actually a Gloss engine paint and matches the old school Kawi green in a most amazing way.

I purchased a set of Moto Fairings for my R6, the Armor Bodies needed some TLC last season. The body work looked and fit the R6 great.

Last edited:
My impatience got the better of me to day. I did a lot of wet sanding and had every thing looking great. I decided to clear coat the fender and the rear cowl. I have to leave the garage door open because we have a apartment above it and I don't want to fume out our tenant. I'm guessing it was to cold after about 1 minute it wrinkled up like a old mans skin. Back to sanding again. I guess I'm on hold for temps above 50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My impatience got the better of me to day. I did a lot of wet sanding and had every thing looking great. I decided to clear coat the fender and the rear cowl. I have to leave the garage door open because we have a apartment above it and I don't want to fume out our tenant. I'm guessing it was to cold after about 1 minute it wrinkled up like a old mans skin. Back to sanding again. I guess I'm on hold for temps above 50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny, when I did my rear hugger it was cold as well. I just sat the heater behind me pointing at the piece while I sprayed. I also kept the clearcoat inside at room temperature right up until the time I was going to spray. No orange peel after doing that. Just a thought.

Back