On the hunt for a cheap collector bike!

That's probably waaaay out of my budget. Think cheap and cheerful :)

Unfortunately "Cheap" and "collector bike" probably only applies to the intial purchase price. It also only applies to either a rough condition or non-running one. After that if you want it to be a collectable bike it will take lots of money and time to make it a real collectable.

For not much money I would even consider letting my 86 FZ 600 go. It would need the alternator done, and by now the carbs cleaned. Other than that it should just fire up and go.

oldschool-albums-backroad-playthings-picture1431-jasper-2003.jpg

It's kinda funny how many people here have cast a "vote" for the RZ vs a GS1150, on a forum based around four cylinder 1000 cc bikes. That's one of the reasons I like it here.

It's kinda funny how many people here have cast a "vote" for the RZ vs a GS1150, on a forum based around four cylinder 1000 cc bikes. That's one of the reasons I like it here.

Well as you know nothing like a fun lightweight two-stroke engine in a competent chassis...besides I already have two four cylinder liter bikes ;)

Last edited:
Lee you have a PM :D

I replied.

Honestly, I am thinking of cleaning out and lining the tank, and If I were single (cause I would be if I did it) putting it in the living room.

If someone shows up with cash, and a truck I could be convinced to part with it. I saw one on rare sport bikes dot com. I know that you would have a hard time finding that OEM rear seat cowl that you see in the picture. It is totally stock other than the ceramic coating on the stock header (they were black from the factory). I even have the OEM service manual.

Last edited:
I replied.

Honestly, I am thinking of cleaning out and lining the tank, and If I were single (cause I would be if I did it) putting it in the living room.

If someone shows up with cash, and a truck I could be convinced to part with it. I saw one on rare sport bikes dot com. I know that you would have a hard time finding that OEM rear seat cowl that you see in the picture. It is totally stock other than the ceramic coating on the stock header (they were black from the factory). I even have the OEM service manual.

Lee, I doubt there are many other FZ600s in that condition. You're talking about one of the first "modern" sport bike's and most were thrashed a long time ago (just like the Gixxers's of that era).

Lee that 86 is so sweeeet!!!... I had the 1987, It was my first street bike and that thing with the 16 inch front and 18 inch back tire, narrow seat, that thing handled like it was on rails....

Last edited:
Lee that 86 is so sweeeet!!!... I had the 1987, It was my first street bike and that thing with the 16 inch front and 18 inch back tire, narrow seat, that thing handled like it was on rails....

For ripping through the corners it was a blast and really didn't show it's age, even versus a much newer 600 (depending on the rider of course). I fondly remember schooling a guy on an R6 along one of the best stretches of bike highway in British Columbia ( Hwy #6 westbound near Angel falls) 12 km of tight twisties complete with hairpin and blind hill crests. He could not keep up with me through there, but once on the straights I was no match. When he pulled up along side on the straight away and realized what he had been chasing he shook his head and disappeared. I felt pretty good that day.

It also always turned heads, half the time because so few young riders have even seen one. Even when they came over from Japan, originally as a Ninja 600 beater (a Japan only FZ 400 with the FJ 650 motor reworked and shoe-horned in) they were not a dime a dozen. The colors changed for 87 to red and white only, but the Cobalt blue, red and pearl was only 1986 and in very low numbers.

Highway93smokyride2003.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, I was just wondering. You don't see them up for sale that often. Vancouver is way to far for me to go for a bike and the wife would KILL me if I brought another one home anyway.

To RZ or not to RZ

I went and looked at an 86' RZ 350 in the pearl white and red like I used to own. It was in stock condition, but very rough. It looked great in pictures but I was sooooo disappointed when I got there. It would have needed a complete repaint and the engine was a filthy mess. It had been dropped a few times by the look. The guy wanted almost as much for it as what I paid for mine new. I really wanted to buy it despite the condition, but it would have been a money pit. Had it looked like the pictures in the ad, it would be sitting in my garage.

The Day has arrived!

Dustin will be at my place any minute now to pick up the FZ 600. Wish him a safe drive home, he had to battle bad weather through the mountains on the way here.

IMG_1078.jpg

Last edited:
Moving Day

I'm sure he's gonna love it Lee. Lord knows he won't have to do much to it except put gas and enjoy!

He left my place about 1/2 an hour ago. Both Dustin and his buddy Brian looked tired from driving all night. Oh to be young. We really stripped her down so the body would not take a beating on the mucky roads going home.

The controls, mirrors, and remaining body work (except the headlight cowl) were covered with rags, saran wrap (that's right) and duct tape to protect them. The exhaust and air intake were also covered with duct tape. All the shiny bits were put into the van. She was carefully strapped down, so she should just need a good bath when it gets to it's new home. The rest will be Dustin's story.

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

from this.

IMG_1081.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

to this. so long old friend.

Dustin and Brian seem like really nice guys, and it was a pleasure to meet them both!

Safe Journey Dustin, Brian, and my old steed!

Last edited:
That must have been a "moment" for you as they pulled away. I know when Gary turned the corner with the FZ1 I know I had a lump in my throat. I'm sure she's going to a good home so thats comforting to know.

Oh, and thats a really cool trailer he's got. That thing looks super light weight!

Back