Oil Leak, stripped pan threads

06red

Hi to all, I am looking for some advice. On my first oil change on my fz1 i stripped the oil pan. I bought a replacement oil pan and am looking for advice on how to fix it. I am curious if anyone has done this before and if they can offer any tips and advice. I know i am a moron for stripping it in the first place, but it happened.

Also i was wondering if there is a washer that goes between the drain plug and the oil pan because that was no there when we purchased the bike but it shows it on the oem parts list. would that help to stop the leaking (making sure with new oil pan plug has washer).

For now i am not riding it because my father (i am a college student living at home for the summer) decided to try to fix the leak with silicone tape, and i don't feel like that was a smart fix because it will flake off into the oil, and after a day it started leaking again.

Thank you in advance for any advice, tips, or ridicule you can offer.

erik

Hi Erik. :welcome:

First thing to so is get a proper torque wrench. The oil plug is only about 17 ft lbs I think which isn't much at all. Mine also has no crush washer on it either.

For replacing the oil pan, do you have the service manual? If not, grab it here: Public - Windows Live

I'm not sure but believe you will have to remove the exhaust first. Afterward, the manual states how to remove the pan. Pay attention to the bolt pattern for loosening as well as tightening. Don't do this without a proper torque wrench, ok?

I am a little confused by you post. You stripped the threads in the oil pan or the drain plug? Either way if one is damaged more than likely so is the other.

Yes, there is supposed to be a washer in there to help distribute the pressure of the drain plug and seal better. Don't run w/o one again...

The only safe solution is to take the oil pan off and get it repaired or replace it altogether. A Heli-Coil insert should do the trick. Don't use silicone or anything else of that sort to try and fix it. If it starts leaking significantly and oil gets on your back tire you're not going to like the end result.

Good luck on the fix and sorry I couldn't offer any other advice.

Last edited:
Yes, there is supposed to be a washer in there to help distribute the pressure of the drain plug and seal better. Don't run w/o one again...

So, I wonder why Yamaha did not put one on my bike.... Hmmm... there wasn't one on the '08 FZ6 either. :looseit: :wtf: ;)

So, I wonder why Yamaha did not put one on my bike.... Hmmm... there wasn't one on the '08 FZ6 either. :looseit: :wtf: ;)

That is strange indeed. I can clearly see that the parts diagram shows one in there and even has a part # for it. My '06 has one, but not having bought the bike new I can't tell you if it came like that from factory or if it was added later. Either way I don't think putting one in there will hurt...

I am a little confused by you post. You stripped the threads in the oil pan or the drain plug? Either way if one is damaged more than likely so is the other.

Yeah its a steel bold on the aluminium pan so if i could strip the plug that would be amazing. Sorry i wasn't clear on that part. The pan is stripped that's why i bought a replacement one (cost of pan was cheaper than all the other parts and tools required to get a repair kit).

Any advice on a good torque wrench that doesn't break the bank?

Also, found your forum and got the service manual the same day i ordered the pan, i joined today when i received the pan this week. Thanks again.

Any advice on a good torque wrench that doesn't break the bank?

Also, found your forum and got the service manual the same day i ordered the pan, i joined today when i received the pan this week. Thanks again.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices They have a torque wrench that won't break the bank, and it's halfway decent as well. I've had mine for about two years now with no problems. It does Ft Lbs and Inches as well.

Thank you

Just wanted to update everyone one that the oil pan swap went off without a hitch. Thank you guys for all of your help, greatly appreciated.

Back