oil filters

What kind of oil filter is the best to use? Have heard car oil filters are not good for the oil pump

I know Purolator doesn't recommend their car filters for motorcycles, but they do make specific motorcycle ones. Not sure if there are other filter manufactures saying the same or not. That being said there are some members that use them w/o any issues.

If you don't feel comfortable using a car filter then just get a motorcycle specific one. I usually just use whatever I can get a good deal on (Purolator, Hi-Flo, etc.). I change the oil every season (or 3000 miles) so I'm not too concerned about brand.

Last edited:
There is a motorcycle specific Fram model PH6017A for Yamaha FZ1

You caught me off guard and I am surprised that you would even mention that after the crap that has been dumped on folks like myself that even dared to suggest using the Fram PH6017A from Wally World.

I mentioned that I used them and all the Elitist Members ranted on about what crap they were.

Maybe you're in better standing than I am and won't get told how effing stupid anyone is that uses cardboard Fram filters.

I'm all about the PL14610 myself, but have heard great things about the KN204, Bosch 3323 and of course Mobil-1 M1-110. Stick with any of those and you're golden.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Purolator-PL14610-PureONE-Filter-Pack/dp/B000E8V9RG]Amazon.com: Purolator PL14610 PureONE Oil Filter, Pack of 1: Automotive[/ame]

I guess you have`nt heard Purolator say they don`t recommend the use of these pure one filters in motorcycles,saying that a lot of people use them.Just letting you know in case you never heard

Did they say why? If not, do they charge more for the motorcycle specific filter? That could be why they recomend it.

I use the K&N 204 also, usually find good prices on eBay.

Yup I had bought a few filters from a K&N vendor on Ebay for a little over $11 each with free shipping. Nice to know that I can get them locally though.

FWIW ... I use the K&Ns because they have a very good reputation (no one ever seems to speak badly of them). As far as the Frams go, I think that they lost their quality manufacturing magic based on some of the internal pics I have seen.

Yes I think the Pure One issue is that they want you to spend $3 more for their motorcycle filter.
I use the Super Tech...Champion or Pure Ones.

but like someone else said....I change either every season or every 3K miles or so....while its cheap enough.

Did they say why? If not, do they charge more for the motorcycle specific filter? That could be why they recomend it.
I believe as the filtration`s finer, motorcycle oil pumps may not be able to handle the extra pressure [effecting oil flow]I have used these filters in a Honda 919 Hornet for 40,000klms with no problems,But as the FZ1 revs higher so I have decided not to use the couple of left over ones I have. I believe they would most likey be fine, but has it is hard to know if the filter slows down the oil flow or not I did`nt want to risk any long term damage

My rule of thumb is If the manufacturer lists a part # in their catalog for your application its ok...when you start crossing #'s or goin by specs you're on you're own...the
Best thing you can do is change it on time imho

Back