oil drip under bike

bunky

Just looking at a "new to me bike" and the owner took it out of winter storage and installed the battery to fire it up (for the first time).

It started up with no problem, but after it warmed up, and the motor was shut down, I noticed that there was a very small amount of oil under the bike.
It almost looked as if the guy did an oil change, but said he hadn't and was concerned himself of why there was a leak. Not enough to drip on the ground, but enough when touched.
Because the bike will be certified when I buy it, he assured me it would be taken care of (by the dealer) before the purchase date.

My question to everyone is would this be a gasket issue from a long duration of non use and therefore is nothing more that a dried gasket losing its seal?

Thanks for your time.

Do you know exactly where the oil appears to be seeping out? Is it near the filter? Drain plug? could be a loose/old filter or a bad/missing crush washer on the drain plug. Otherwise, it is likely a gasket. Good that you noticed it now!

If its coming from the drive shaft, behind the front sprocket, the engine is blown up. Meaning its totaled. The expence in fixing it is more then the bike is worth, which i found out on my last bike. :popcorn:

Sure it`s not some oil from the chain dripping under the sprocket cover,oil gets flung off the chain and on the cover[did he take it for a ride]

Last edited:
FZ1 don't leak oil either, as opposed to every Harley I've encountered. HD riders just accept it as part of the bike!

It may have been dropped and something cracked. Be sure it is thoroughly checked out.

If its coming from the drive shaft, behind the front sprocket, the engine is blown up. Meaning its totaled. The expence in fixing it is more then the bike is worth, which i found out on my last bike. :popcorn:

He stated it started up and ran fine. Where do you get the engine is blown? :eek5: If it was from this location, then it's the crank seal so you replace the bearing and seal. Big job but certainly fixable and not totaled. :tup:

I laid down on the right side of the bike and looked directly underneath.

I did ask if he had done an oil change, because it looked like some residual amount one would see after being done.

I noticed this underneath, at the front of the engine, midway on the right side.

Like I said, it was very minimal and would only be seen if laying down and looking up.

No way for the engine to have been damaged for it started up and sounded awesome.

If it was from this location, then it's the crank seal so you replace the bearing and seal. Big job but certainly fixable and not totaled. :tup:[/QUOTE]

You say its a big job.....for me to do or the dealer?

I would not feel comfortable in doing this fix.
Get the dealer mechanic to do it.
Therefore, my other question is...how much am I looking at?

Clean and get it hot

Pictures would be helpful, but at the front of the engine, my GUESS would be a bit of oil remained from poor clean up after changing the filter last. Or as you GUESSED. From a seeping valve cover gasket. Either of those things are no big deal. Clean it off well and let it run for 10 minutes (up to temperature)Then you will know for sure where it came from! FWIW

bunky said:
You say its a big job.....for me to do or the dealer?

I would not feel comfortable in doing this fix.
Get the dealer mechanic to do it.
Therefore, my other question is...how much am I looking at?

It is a big job for either of you. Parts are cheap and labor is expensive, thus cheap for you to do or expensive to pay them to do it. Parts are likely under $50.

But if the oil is at the front of the engine, no worries about this big job. ;)

Just spoke with the owner and the bike is in the shop as we speak.
The shop is telling him it could be from the oil filter area or gear box.
Not sure till they start looking.
Either way, they didn't seem to think it was something serious.
Being this shop is in a small hick town where everybody knows everybody, plus being in business for over 30 years, I am trusting all will be ok and no "surprises".

Again, thanks for the input fellas, much appreciated.

Will let everyone know what happens.

Well, I just heard that all is good.
The rad hose that connects to the engine was loose, therefore the leak.
New hose and connection and all is right in the world of ME.....
Dealer inspection was done, and besides a new front tire and the hose, the bike passed.
Seller true to his word did the repairs and I will be picking it up on Monday.
Very good experience with the purchase.

Well, I just heard that all is good.
The rad hose that connects to the engine was loose, therefore the leak.
New hose and connection and all is right in the world of ME.....
Dealer inspection was done, and besides a new front tire and the hose, the bike passed.
Seller true to his word did the repairs and I will be picking it up on Monday.
Very good experience with the purchase.

Thats great news Bunky! Get some pics up of the new ride come Monday.....after you take a nice long ride of course!

It's not a oil leak.

It is the bike marking It's property.

yes were is the oil coming from. clean off the motor top to bottom.
NO oil anywhere on the outside.
run till you see it, let the motor cool then trace the oil from the bottom up.
this is the best way to find what gasket or seal is bad.
now you can find out what the problem is.

but if put together by someone like me there will always be a seep.
for some reason when i reassemble things i will get seepage. no mater how much trouble i go to to keep all of it in the cases.

but then i own a jeep, have owned ford trucks, and diesels. all like to mark there places. but the buell i owned did not mark. burned yes. marked no.

Back