OEM parts assembly

Hey everyone,

I laid down my bike and broke off the right foot peg. Not wanting to get an aftermarket rearset, I opted to buy the parts needed and just rebuild what I have. Which seems to have been a mistake.

How the heck do you get this together??
OEM Stand / Footrest

1. # 29 Bracket 3 - Part number: 2D1-27443-01-00
  2. # 30 Damper, Footrest 2 - Part number: 1NL-27424-00-00

The bracket is actually what broke, so I pulled that off thinking I could just take out the damper and replace it in the new piece. But it's stuck in there solid! Not actually knowing what the damper is made of, I figured it's probably just JB Welded in place, and a bit under a propane torch should break the bond. Guess what - the Damper is partially rubber, and I just ruined it. If this wasn't just a big waste of time it'd be funny. Well, it's still kind of funny. ;)
Anyway, I bought a new pair of dampers, and now I see why I couldn't get it out.... because they don't even go in! It's SO close to actually fitting, but even greasing it didn't do anything. I had the bright idea, that if I bolt it on the bike, maybe I can wrench it down and have them forced in... but then I just stripped the allen bolt. :banghead:
I can probably torque wrench the bolt out, but now of course I have to buy a new bolt.

Please tell me there's an easier way... should I sand out the inside of the bracket??

Back