Not your typical R6!

I had a RD350LC (1981 non YPVS) back in 82, it had be tuned and it was the best bike I ever owned, so much fun for so little money! You guys in the states can still get a bargain, a decent RD350LC (non YPVS) over in the UK can go for up to 9,000 dollars. I did see an exceptional one this year, 2 owners with about 4,000 miles on the clock go for 11,500 dollars, but you don’t find many of those around. The average price for one is about $4,000 to $6,000. Mind you the later YPVS models do go for a lot less at the moment.

Steve

Last edited:
I had a RD350LC (1981 non YPVS) back in 82, it had be tuned and it was the best bike I ever owned, so much fun for so little money! You guys in the states can still get a bargain, a decent RD350LC (non YPVS) over in the UK can go for up to 9,000 dollars. I did see an exceptional one this year, 2 owners with about 4,000 miles on the clock go for 11,500 dollars, but you don’t find many of those around. The average price for one is about $4,000 to $6,000. Mind you the later YPVS models do go for a lot less at the moment.

Steve

Well don't forget we didn't get a 2-stroke here in the US for several years. The last year for a Yamaha 2-stroke was 1979 until they released the RZ350 YPVS in 1984-85.

My last day working as a Yam mechanic was to uncrate and service my RZ350. I attended the Yam dealer's show at the Superdome in '83 and about shat myself when KR wheelie'd one across the stage.

I was offered $5500 for mine during Bike Week at Daytone in '96 iirc. I prob should have taken the offer, but it was early in the week, weather was beautiful and it was my only ride.

Has diff/better pipes on it now....

Not sure what your bike looks like now, but it looks great in that picture. It's weird that the value of it has not increased much from what you were offered for it back in '96. At least that's what I have seen for bikes in nice condition...

Not sure what your bike looks like now, but it looks great in that picture. It's weird that the value of it has not increased much from what you were offered for it back in '96. At least that's what I have seen for bikes in nice condition...

It was my perfect weather ride, never been wet, never seen rain. Its been a while since I've had it out from under its cover, but it has either 3862 or 3682 orig miles - something like that. It's taken care of and gets regular care to keep it looking good. The wheels have oxidized a little and will eventually need to have the clear coat stripped and be re-polished, re-painted and cleared again but other than that, its pretty much in like new condition.

I have owned several of 350s - couple of R5cs and several RD350s), even a one 250 over the years. My daily ride for a long time was the solid purple tank RD350 ('73?) with chambers and rear sets - that one stayed with me into my real job. It was the best runner of the 350s I owned, but it could leave you with a 2 stroke buzz/tingle that could last for hours.

I would love to have my '72 360 RT2 back, that bike was an awesome, go anywhere, do anything bike that for me, never complained, never broke and just ran its heart out.

It was my perfect weather ride, never been wet, never seen rain. Its been a while since I've had it out from under its cover, but it has either 3862 or 3682 orig miles - something like that. It's taken care of and gets regular care to keep it looking good. The wheels have oxidized a little and will eventually need to have the clear coat stripped and be re-polished, re-painted and cleared again but other than that, its pretty much in like new condition.

Oh then I bet it's in great condition. Would love to see some more pics of it ;)

I had an RD400, and an RZ350. The RZ was stunning. It had Spec II chambers, Boysen reeds, milled head, 1st over, port matching, and would blow away about anything out of the hole. It was the hole-shot-king. Too bad I didn't know what to do with a lead in a race!

1976 RD400E (I think) in about 1985 at my first race weekend. Red novice plates. I was 21.

View attachment 8199

1984 or 1985 Canadian RZ350 in about 1988 in a Spring practice session at the Mead, Colorado race track. Black expert plates.

View attachment 8200

Last edited:
Yes Tony... expensive is correct!

1984 Yamaha RZ350 KR Special

But look at this guy's ad. Interesting! 78' yamaha RD400

I actually got the guy in RI to send me some pics of that '84. Pic quality is crappy (kind of dark shots in a cluttered garage) so it's hard to tell if it's really in mint condition or not.

If I buy a 2-stroke I really want the RZ350. The water cooled engines have more potential than the air cooled (RD series), plus the bike handles better than the earlier ones.

I had an RD400, and an RZ350. The RZ was stunning. It had Spec II chambers, Boysen reeds, milled head, 1st over, port matching, and would blow away about anything out of the hole. It was the hole-shot-king. Too bad I didn't know what to do with a lead in a race!

1976 RD400E (I think) in about 1985 at my first race weekend. Red novice plates. I was 21.

View attachment 8199

1984 or 1985 Canadian RZ350 in about 1988 in a Spring practice session at the Mead, Colorado race track. Black expert plates.

View attachment 8200

That bottom one is an 84'.

027.JPG

Just sold mine to buy my 86 GSXR1100

Back