NJMP Thunderbolt first trackday for the FZ1

A much better vid a much faster guy on a zx6r followed me for about 8 minutes. Thank you Lep. It picks up at 3:45.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7GO4TZfXcs]YouTube - 1st TD last session Pt1[/ame]

Last edited:
why they put them cones so narrow (1:55) is that the entrylane still?

Take care about your feet position. Put your feet back and close to the bike, especially the one on the side you making the turn. You wanna avoid your toes scarping the tarmac.
When going into curves, work more with your upperbody. This has more effect than moving your bottom...and yes you may not scrape your kneepads that quick :)

It does seem like a fun track and you had a good fun day :wow:

If you participate in any of the ART (advanced rider training) programs (free for me) you get the vest so the coaches can pick you out in a crowd.

I got ya. I just finished watching your buddy's videos on Youtube. He really rides well. I'm really liking the Thunderbolt Track as one that I could really get used to. If I can afford a set of leathers this year I may try and do a track day before the season is over. If not for anything, just to be able to say I did it. It wouldn't bother me to ride around at entry level speeds at all. I sure as hell don't want to break any of my 49 year old bones, but I'd like to try it at least once before I'm too old. I think my skills could at least have me hanging with the beginners with no problem. Aside from covering your lights, was there anything else that you needed to do to pass tech inspection? Maybe you could jot down a quick checklist for what they expect from you when you get there? That would be helpful to me as well as anyone else here up North that may want to go down to Millville. Thanks Johnny, you gave me an "itch"!

For the beginners and intermediate you only need to tape the lights have newer tires and newer brake pads. They give the bike a really quick once over for function. Remember I have a few free leather rental cards and with some notice would go with you. There really isn't a lot to do.

Thanks Johnny. I really want to do this sometime this year. I just need to get my H.F. Trailer if my damn insurance check would arrive! Supposedly mailed out this past Monday and I'm still waiting for it. There are just so few honest people left on this planet, it's a shame! I could have WALKED from Fishkill NY to my house with it and gotten it here before today!

I finally had a chance to look at the video; you look great for your first day on the track.

Now here's the critical part.

1) You ride crossed up. Not a big deal, everyone does it, and 25 years ago thats how people rode. So in crossed up ridding you're lowering your butt to the right, and your thorso goes to the left. Kinda of that "equal, opposite reaction." So leave Einstein out of it and get your chest lower, like place your face where your mirror should be, or lower. Reason - Your upper body weighs more than your lower and it will allow you greater speed (clearance) in the corners. Check out Ben Spies, he's the master.

Check this out for help: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxWBKmfKndI]YouTube - Ty, Paul, & Bob: Body Position ECR[/ame]

The guy in the video, Paul, was my instructor last weekend. Listen and watch it twice, he's good. Ty Howard is the local Texas go fast guy, he's on the national, professional level. Note what Ty says on crossed up.

2) You adjust your line in the corner multiple times. You looked to be on the gas, off the gas, on the gas, off the gas. This is caused by looking down, and not completely through the corner. This can be tricky to master as it is a natural reaction to look where you are at. The solution is look where you want to go and you body and bike will follow. Remember you are going so fast that if you look down, you are already by it.

My .02 cents, I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Couple more pictures of the same corner.
RB8_1678.jpg

RB8_1679.jpg

Well tomorrow I set the FZ up for another trackday on Tuesday. Goal to work on body position. New additions for this session over last rear sets, tech spec tank grips, Sargent saddle. Hopefully it comes home in one piece again.

Back