New Yamaha Project???

Oooo, what a great week! Cams, Ignitech programmable ignition, and the last bit of OEM Yamaha stuff arrived.

Next Tuesday the whole she-bang gets dropped off.

Why is it is can get my Ignitech ignition in 4 days from the Czech Republic, but a week to get Yamaha parts from Oregon to Oklahoma???

Inquiring minds want to know....

I dropped most everything off today and had a very good talk with the owner of the shop. He asked all of the right questions, and made some very good suggestions.

I'm going to have some clean up porting done on the heads.

I also played with the IgniTech system today. It's really cool and can be used on many different bikes, from 1,2,3 and 4 cylinders.

The device itself is a simple black, plastic box that replaces the TCI. The beauty of it is in the software. I can change the advance, create a rev-limit (currently doesn't have one), and a whole bunch of other stuff I don't fully understand.

It comes with a base program specifically for the XV.

Here's a few screenshots of the application.

View attachment 13916

View attachment 13917

View attachment 13918

View attachment 13919

Oh Pete, I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know whether to feel good that the parts look so killer, or to feel sad about your job. Mixed emotions here buddy. I will say that the exhaust is INSANELY SICK LOOKING!!!! but I hope your back to work soon.

Meh Billy. I hated my "new" boss, I hated the company, and I hate where I live. Well, the house and the neighborhood are wonderful.

I got a good package. So we'll get home and my network already has a few things in play for me.

We are ready to GO!

Aside from a can of Yamaha FZ6 silver for wheel, paint, and a few more parts from Partzilla, not too much progress this week. The bastards shorted me one set of XVS con rod bolts...

Today I began working on de-rusting the tank. Remember I thought I had a petcock problem??? (Oh shut up, the wife is 5 months pregnant) Yes at age 48...

The front cylinder was soaking wet when I broke the motor down. So wet that gas was pouring out the header and the muffler.

Well I figured it out...tank rust! EVIL!!!

Thanks again for all of the input on the rusty tank. I ended up going with the Kreem system. It includes a rust remover, MethylEthylKetone, and a sealant. I picked the kit up at CG. $43.00.

Funk from draining the tank!

View attachment 14060

30 year old petcock!

View attachment 14061

1/2 cup of rust in the bottom of the fuel can!

View attachment 14062

30 YO PC vs. a new PC

View attachment 14063

Last edited:
Oh, I almost forgot. The local wildlife. This is one of the reason I love our neighborhood. We have two lakes. Hence the name Twin Lakes, and lots of wildlife. Our cat goes bananas. We have about 4 types of ducks, geese, seagulls, doves, cardinals, bluebirds, and several others. It's really cool. And turtles, and fish. I've no idea what kind of fish but kids and one Asian man are always fishing in the lakes.

Ducks on the front drive. Once a goose looked in the window in the living room. The cat jumped a mile!

View attachment 14068

View attachment 14069

Hey Pete! Congrats on the wife and you expecting! That's awesome. And yes, what the hell was Spies thinking???!!! They must be paying him a ton of money. Not sure I would have chosen a Duc to ride in MotoGP. Unless they made some radical changes from last year, I see him in the same boat that Rossi was last year.

I'm a bit stalled out on my XV project right now. I spoke with the engine builder today and he's trying to carve out dedicated build time for me. I like the fact he's being patient. I'm working on modifying and OEM TCI box for the new ignition, but until the motor is ready I'm circling the airport.

Here's a few photos to tie you over. These are from the Virago Tech Forum. Overall I don't care of the design, but the individual parts are brilliant.

ALL parts are hand made, mufflers too. Tip my hat.

GSXR front end, Honda single swing rear end.

View attachment 14102

View attachment 14103

View attachment 14104

View attachment 14105

Made some progress on the TCI replacement yesterday. The main problem was figuring out how to mount the new unit. The OEM TCI comes in a nice little box and that mounts directly to the frame under the gas tank. The replacement is a simple black box.

I ended up using 3M pressure activated tape to create a "base" on the frame. This tape is used to adhere body trim to a car. I used Shorai battery mounting foam to build the surface up over the seam of the frame. Then another layer of the 3M tape and stick the new TCI in place.

View attachment 14198

View attachment 14199

View attachment 14200

View attachment 14201

I also rebuild the swing arm yesterday. I was split 50/50 on whether or not I should buy new bearings and bushings or just re-grease the existing ones. With 28K miles and the bike being in so-so shape when I bought it I went ahead and bought the new parts. Well I should have known, the bearings and and bushing were in great shape! While I had it the swing off I ground off the tabs that were used to adjust the old enclosed chain drive hub.

Rebuilt the swing feels like butter now! So smooooooth. :D

View attachment 14202

View attachment 14203

The obligatory grinder shot!

View attachment 14204

Last edited:
Back