New to me!!!

Cell phones, big trucks and blind spots are a few things I pay a lot of attention to. Most drivers have never been on a bike, let alone driven one, so they tend to not see bikes as well as we would desire. Glad to hear you did not have an accident, enjoy your bike.

Soft bags

They aren't anything special, just large Cortech saddle bags and the large Tourmaster seat bag. I have the Givi luggage rack underneath to keep them from swinging into tire area. I used 2 cargo nets to hold the bad on top, which made a good spot to put extra gloves and sweat shirt and stuff i need quick access to. I also got some clear static stick vinyl on the hand grabs and tail right over the tail light, it goes on and off really easy and its reusable. Got home not a scratch or rub mark anywhere. And they don't move at all, everything cinched up real tight. Oh and the bags all come off in about 30 seconds and go back on in about 2 minutes. Hope that helps:)

I once saw one your color... after I pulled away, it never did catch up! :D

Seriously, great ride and very good job with the soft-touring setup! What an awesome way to get to know your new ride! ;)

That's why I said the black was faster, because I actually did here the blue was faster, lol, hoping to stop that nasty rumor, hahahaha

Speedo-gearing

Hey guys, one thing i did notice is i was getting about 36 miles to the gallon on highway doing about 75 most of the way, I also noticed my speedo said 80 but my gps said 75, do you think the gearing may have been changed prior to me getting the bike?

Nope... you're on stock gearing. The 16T would have seen closer to 11 MPH off. ;)

36 mpg is about right for the load you were carrying. You'll likely see a 3 - 5 mpg increase while cruising around New England without the load on her. :tup:

cool

Thanks, i hadn't got out and counted the teeth yet, now i know. It took some getting used to around town yesterday, not used to a bike with that gearing and rpm, i get out of 3rd and i'm well into ticket range. I'm still to used to my ktm 620 thumper.

Hey guys, one thing i did notice is i was getting about 36 miles to the gallon on highway doing about 75 most of the way, I also noticed my speedo said 80 but my gps said 75, do you think the gearing may have been changed prior to me getting the bike?
I have been getting 42 to 47 mpg but most of the riding I do is 55 mph or higher travel. My bike is stock with no performance modifications.

Actually Yamaha stamps the tooth count right on the sprockets. ;) But, the cover is a bear to remove unless I missed something. You have to remove the shift rod.

coz, do you have a speedo healer installed? I do not and have yet to see anything over 40 mpg even with a kindly treated tank of fuel. A speedo healer would give a more accurate MPG of course.

That's why I said the black was faster, because I actually did hear the blue was faster, lol, hoping to stop that nasty rumor, hahahaha

I was checking the Yamaha paint codes when I took my parts over for painting. It seems they got a great deal from a US aviation company so they bought their surplus black paint to use on the FZ-1's. So I know the Black/Graphite ones are the fastest!:laugh2::poke:

Heres what used to use this paint. Funny I haven't seen any in BLUE!:nana:

Last edited:
Actually Yamaha stamps the tooth count right on the sprockets. ;) But, the cover is a bear to remove unless I missed something. You have to remove the shift rod.

coz, do you have a speedo healer installed? I do not and have yet to see anything over 40 mpg even with a kindly treated tank of fuel. A speedo healer would give a more accurate MPG of course.
Hi Eric, I do not have a speedo healer installed and the front and rear sprockets are both stock. My commute to work is about 8 miles. I get the same number of miles reported on my commute to work whether I am riding my FZ1, car, and my belated FJR (sniffle, sniffle, sob, sob). Given that all three odometers report the same numbers, I am pretty confident the odometer on the FZ1 is accurate. The lowest mpg number I have gotten (I have only ridden the bike about 1200 miles now) is 35. I would not say that I drive aggressively. Most of the time by the time I reach 50 mph, I am in 6th gear. Colorado Springs is a little over 6000 feet above sea level, so you would think that would impact fuel efficiency negatively also.

Hi Eric, I do not have a speedo healer installed and the front and rear sprockets are both stock. My commute to work is about 8 miles. I get the same number of miles reported on my commute to work whether I am riding my FZ1, car, and my belated FJR (sniffle, sniffle, sob, sob). Given that all three odometers report the same numbers, I am pretty confident the odometer on the FZ1 is accurate. The lowest mpg number I have gotten (I have only ridden the bike about 1200 miles now) is 35. I would not say that I drive aggressively. Most of the time by the time I reach 50 mph, I am in 6th gear. Colorado Springs is a little over 6000 feet above sea level, so you would think that would impact fuel efficiency negatively also.

You've got the touch! You must have amazing self control. Think of all the "mods" you will be able to buy while the heavy handed are putting that cash in their fuel tanks!

You've got the touch! You must have amazing self control. Think of all the "mods" you will be able to buy while the heavy handed are putting that cash in their fuel tanks!
Ha....Its either that or I am trying to decide to go back to a sport tourer or VFR and don't want to put too much into the bike :) Also, there are an over abundance of cops out now a days willing to give you a present and I am not wanting to give the government my money, or my insurance company ;)

Back