New R1 shock option without adaptor

Brave Dave

Here is a little secret I have been working on. If anyone wants to get their bike handling properly just get hold of a 2015-2016 standard R1 shock. The shock at standard length is 315mm, simply adjust the factory ride height adjuster on the bottom of the shock to 320mm, which is the stock length for the FZ1 shock. The lower bush is the same size as the stock one and the two bushes on the top spherical bearing measures 32mm as opposed to the stock 30mm. It is simply a matter of removing 1mm from each bush to get the right clearance. The shock will now bolt straight in except the regulator rectifier tray needs to be cut flush with the fold on the right hand side and just past where the regulator fits on the left side. The bracket needs to now be bent up 40mm to allow the reservoir on the shock to clear the tray. Once thats done it is simply a matter of adding a brace either side and 30 seconds welding and your finished. After this cat gets out of the bag I think these late model shocks are going to be hard to find. Hope this information helpsIMG_20160503_134454.jpgIMG_20160503_134603.jpgIMG_20160503_134630.jpgIMG_20160503_134647.jpg

ballmead

Nice mod. Seems like a little bit of mucking around to get the desired result though.
Personally, I'm extremely happy with my Penske 8983 FZ1 rear shock that I picked up on here for a song.
This mod looks like a great option for the budget conscious tinkerers though.

Sent from my Moto G (4)

Nice mod. Seems like a little bit of mucking around to get the desired result though.
Personally, I'm extremely happy with my Penske 8983 FZ1 rear shock that I picked up on here for a song.
This mod looks like a great option for the budget conscious tinkerers though.

Sent from my Moto G (4)
Maybe this 2015 R1 shock with that 2008 R1 fork and brake setup [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ferraiolo1

Seems like a good alternative to a cheap upgrade if the adapters aren't available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stripey

It's all looking good, but it only works for non- ABS version. The huge ABS pump gets in the way and there's no space to move it to.

Any other options for ABS version owners?

Ricrocs

Hi Guys. Just put a 2015 R1 shock on my 2012 fz1. Mounted the rectifier on the top of the mounting plate instead of underneath. Chiseled off the tab that is tack welded on the top side of the plate and chiseled the master cylinder mount off. The Rectifier will fit right on top of the welded nuts on the top off the plate, so same mounting holes. Had the ecu flash done by Vcyclenut, so the servo motor was removed without throwing a code. .Plenty of room and air flow in there for the rectifier. plus, now the backside is raised off the plate as the nuts act as a spacer. Better cooling!! Trimmed the bolts shorter as they protrude through the plate on the underside. Shock reservoir clears nicely. Tack welded the master cylinder mount back onto the plate. Just had to trim the bracket a little. Brave Dave above covers the milling off the top shock bushing and getting the shock length right. I struggled trying to grind the bushing flat and even. After playing with it for awhile, I realized that the metal on the bushing will pull right out of the rubber bushing. That made it much easier to grind the 1mm off and keep it level. Good luck!!!

Scoobydude

I have this mod on my 2008 FZ1s. My question is what are people setting the damper too. Compression, fast compression and rebound or are you just putting on and leaving it as it turned up. I'm having mine set up at IDP Moto at Silverstone, here in the uk once this lockdown is over.
Cheers ..........stay in and be safe, for now