New p Top?

Well the new laptop arrived and I'm happy with the hardware itself, however I am SO frustrated with Win8. What a terrible OS. I get what they are trying to do, but it doesn't work fluidly.

That said this laptop has a touch screen; think 17" smart phone in may respects.

Has anyone taken a Win8 machine back to Win7? Or should I just hold tight for Win 8.1? I've heard 8.1 is much more integrated.

I don't hold high hopes for 8.1... it might be useable though, find out in a couple more weeks as I haven't downloaded the 8.1 preview to see what they've done to make it user friendly.

but, windows 9 or 2015 or whatever they call it... I have better hopes for, as: Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to retire within 12 months :thewave:

Windows 8 just completely forgot about desktop users... I have a vm of it and have to google every time I play with it to figure out how to shut it down, close windows, etc... as a business pc user, I've told all my employee's to stick with 7 until 8.1 comes out... but I still don't know if it will hit the mark... and that's bad, as I hate 7 as well... can't do anything without running as admin, which kind of defeats the purpose of running as a standard user.

I also see Microsoft plowing into the pay as you go model with Office... and, my marketing lady just told me Adobe is heading there as well.... soon, it will only be "rented" sw and they'll charge us through the nose if we don't stand up as consumers and refuse that model. Wouldn't surprise me if the next gen of OS come that way too.

as I missed you before buying, I've had no issues with Dell at work, but their consumer models suck... acer is the cheapest you can get, you're lucky to get two years out of them, asus, hp, toshiba, lenevo, sony... all good, just have to watch for deals...

sorry for the :rant:

Download and install Classic Shell (free):

Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements

It defaults you to the desktop mode instead of Metro and adds back all the things you loved about Windows (icons, task bar, start menu) but Microsoft took away in Win8. You can pick Windows 95/98, Vista or Win7 display mode. It doesn't completely fix win8 but it makes it easier to navigate(tolerate).

Thank you, thank you, thank you! What a big difference. Now I just need to find a good photo editing application.

Oh, FireFox runs great on 8.

Back