New p Top?

o o ithu i bout e. The eybor i tot. The hinge h broen through the cover, & it' on it' 3r bttery. he' tot. o e, or HP, or ony? Wht o you thin? :rant: :wilynily:

Hmmm... sounds like he's looking for a new laptop because the hinge broke on his current one and he's gone through 3 batteries? And he's wondering if he should go with HP or Sony?

I've had my HP for 6 years now with no issues. I did just have to replace the battery though. I bought one of the double power ones which is fantastic, lasts a lot longer now.

The keyboard died. I can't complain too much as it's been to Iraq, drug through a few hurricanes several other military exercises.

I really like Apple but not for $2, 000!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

HP ENVY TouchSmart 17t-j000 Quad Edition

•Windows 8 64
•4th generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ Processor
•Included 2 Year Warranty
•NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M Graphics with 2048MB of dedicated video memory
•17.3-inch diagonal Full HD Anti-glare LED-backlit Display (1920 x 1080)
•8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
•1TB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
•24GB mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
•No Additional Office Software
•No additional security software
•6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
•Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner
•Backlit Keyboard
•HP TrueVision HD Webcam w/ integrated digital mic
•802.11b/g/n WLAN

Last edited:
I have not bought one single HP anything in the past 10 years that did not have problems. Problems that HP acknowledged from their user community but did nothing to resolve. I have never dealt with a more apathetic company. I literally hate that company.

Let me tell you how I really feel though..... ;)

Seriously, I realize that is just my experience after working in IT for 20 years. So take it with a grain of salt.

I shopped and shopped and shopped. That was the best value I found. I wanted an i7 4 gen processor, HD screen, and BluRay. My wife has a magnesium Sony that is wonderful, but they don't have the 4 gen processors and BluRay.

I refuse to buy Dell. ASUS and Gateway, etc. don't have the 4 gen yet.

The HP has a 2 year warranty.

I had a Toshiba for 5ish years. It went to hell and back. I dropped it numerous times. Ran it over with the wife's trailblazer (strange i know), and let the people I lived with use it. It survived all that and kept ticking. Not sure why it finally died but it served its purpose and then some.

I love my ASUS G51, gaming laptop. The thing has been great for the last 4 years. It has a separate NVIDIA 1GB graphics card that works well. It hasn't been able to play the most recent gen of games at full resolution. But 3 years ago it was wonderful. I've heard some of the lower end ASUS laptops don't work out so well.

Well the new laptop arrived and I'm happy with the hardware itself, however I am SO frustrated with Win8. What a terrible OS. I get what they are trying to do, but it doesn't work fluidly.

That said this laptop has a touch screen; think 17" smart phone in may respects.

Has anyone taken a Win8 machine back to Win7? Or should I just hold tight for Win 8.1? I've heard 8.1 is much more integrated.

Back