New member welcome thread...

Hello

Hi My name is Jim. Although I have known about FZ1's / Fazers (American Versions) for quite a while, I did not realize what could be done to mod them. Since learning more about these awesome bikes, I have decided that I need to get one. I currently own a Suzuki B-King. My goal is to buy an FZ-1, go naked, and tune it so that I have as much or more power as my B-King, but in a lighter more nimble package. Thanks for having me as a new member of this forum. I am really looking forward to learning and contributing as much as I can.

:welcome: Glad to have you here.

I think the stock FZ1 has about 120-130 HP at the rear wheel and I've heard of mods bringing that up to about 150 HP range. I'm not sure there is much more to be had after that.

It won't ever have the torque of the 'Busa engine. In fact, as far as liter bikes go, it's pretty weak in torque and needs the revs up over 5-6k to make much power. Peak torque is around 8k and peek HP is around redline 12k (maybe 11.5k)

I hope that helps and you find a way to make the FZ1 fit your needs. You might also want to look at the Kawasaki Z1000 for the naked experience. The Honda CB1000R is a solid bike, but way down on power compared to the FZ1 and Z1000.

:welcome: Glad to have you here.

I think the stock FZ1 has about 120-130 HP at the rear wheel and I've heard of mods bringing that up to about 150 HP range. I'm not sure there is much more to be had after that.

It won't ever have the torque of the 'Busa engine. In fact, as far as liter bikes go, it's pretty weak in torque and needs the revs up over 5-6k to make much power. Peak torque is around 8k and peek HP is around redline 12k (maybe 11.5k)

I hope that helps and you find a way to make the FZ1 fit your needs. You might also want to look at the Kawasaki Z1000 for the naked experience. The Honda CB1000R is a solid bike, but way down on power compared to the FZ1 and Z1000.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what kind of performance I could get with aribox, ecu flash and exhaust mods. You answered my first question without me having to ask.

So, I think I might do a supercharger then:

www.TTS-Performance.co.uk

I am assuming that this supercharger kit will be similar to this:

www.TTS-Performance.co.uk

They are very close, if not the same engine. What do you think?

I have seen a turbo on an FZ1 on this forum, but never a supercharger. I'm all anxious to see your progress! :cheerleader:

Good luck! Headers (along with exhaust, airbox and PCV) seem to give the most torque advantages in the midrange. :woot:

PS Looks like you are about 258 miles (4 hours) north of me. That supercharger should cut that in half... :D

Last edited:
G’day all and greetings from South Australia.

Had my 2008 FZ1N for almost a week now and all I can say is WOW!
Having come from dirt bikes since I was a kid (41 now) and this being my first dedicated road bike I must say I’m impressed.

It’s has an Akrapovic slip on but other than that is mechanically unmolested. Have ordered a Power Commander V and once that arrives will look at opening up the air box and do more research on the Flies mods etc.

Looking forward to getting to know the forum and bike better.

Cheers!

Hi all

Hi all...

I just bought myself a 2009 FZ1 a few hours ago. I currently lived near Portland, OR. This is my 3rd bike. I had a Kawi zx6r and currently still have a 2007 Triumph Bonneville that I plan to sell.

I am looking forward to learn from all of you..

To Mr Skyehigh. I am sorry to hear about your slashed seat. I read about it on the news too and so sorry to hear it happened to you.

-
Harry

New Guy from WA

Hey guys nice to be here, I am currently living in Washington state. I just picked up a 2008 FZ1 and so far am loving it. I been riding since I was a little kid and I have been loving this bike. Here is a pic of it.

fz1.jpg

Welcome : What part of Washington ? I'm Arlington area. What has happened to all the llittle add on dudes on the right here ???

Looks like your bike has some add on stuff, nice.

G'day from Sydney Australia.
Yesterday I put down a deposit on a new 2012 spec white FZ1S. Should be picking it up in the next couple of days.

I've been researching new bikes for a few months and until about a week ago it was a contest between an FZ8S and a BMW F800ST or GT. Then I had a ride on a 2008 FZ1S. Ended up getting the 1 for the same as I would have paid for a new 8 and figure it is better value.

Previous bikes were a Honda VTR250 and Suzuki GS500. The first one died in a crash (not my fault) and a friend of a friend is interested in buying the Suzuki. That should help pay for some mods. :D

This and the sister FZ8 Forum have been very handy for research.

The new toy in the dealership (beside a new naked black 8):
file_zps5cb83600.jpg

Hello from Sydney

View attachment 16343

Hi all

Good to finally join the club, Ive picked up my dream bike yesterday ;)

1. Dynojet Power Commander III USB
2. K&N air filter
3. Yoshimura Exhaust R77 Full System stainless steel with carbon fibre canister
4. Driven smog-off plates
5. EXUP servo eliminator
6. Red HEL stainless steel brake lines
7. Custom headlight
8. HID projector
9. Red Hyperpro RSC steering damper
10. Red adjustable and foldable brake/clutch levers
11. Red Rizoma adjustable handle bar
12. Red Tomok custom mirrors
13. Red silicone engine hoses
14. Red billet oil filler cap
15. Factory Pro velocity stacks
16. Ottimoto fully adjustable rear sets
17. Watsen design custom blinkers
18. Evotech fender eliminator
19. Red CNC bar ends
20. Givi E55 MAXIA 3 MONOKEY® top box with opening remote and stop lights kit
21. Givi V35 Pair of painted side cases with internal soft bags
22. Givi PLXR359 Specific rapid release side case holder for MONOKEY® cases
23. Red Ariete Bridgeport 90 degrees angled valve stems
24. Fenda Extenda front fender mud guard
25. Engine case protector
26. Evotech frame sliders
27. Evotech front wheel spindle sliders
28. Evotech rear wheel sliders/swing arm bobbins
29. TS-R box-stand bobbins
30. Dynabeads wheels active balancing system.

FZ in the AZ

Hello all, Norm here

Funny story about how I came to own my 07 F1Z (Metallic Red - my FAV color!)

I was riding a Kawa Versys, mostly as commuter, rarely off-road. My wife of 23 years recently became interested in riding with me (I told her, 'but you know why husbands ride, right?!') so we took a few short jaunts on the Versys. A few Saturdays ago we were in a pack of traffic and I 'floored' it to get away... did just fine, got home and she says "maybe you should look for a bigger bike for US"

onto CL I went a looking, Super Tenere was considered, looked (briefly) at a Multistrada... then came back down to earth... and I saw the post for the Fz1, near where I work and at a reasonable price and he was looking for a Versys! So we met, cruised around, and sealed the deal with the trade

Personal facts
Arizona desert rat born and raised from old AZ stock
married 23 years, 5 kids incl two sets of twins (ident boys and fraternal girls and one in the middle)

I've worked at Fujifilm for 21 years making chemicals for microchip processing. Been traveling to South Korea to set up a new production plant there.. always joke with my hosts that I'm gonna rent a cycle there.

Semi pro photographer:
Flickr: sundevilstormin's Photostream
Photography.... Beyond The Norm

See you out on the roads!

N

Last edited:
MrJessehlee - what mounting bracket is spec'd for the top box? I had Givi side cases on my Versys and love the flexibility it gave me to pack stuff on rides

[edit] - never mind, search the forum and got LOTS of ideas for the brackets and top case!

Last edited:
Hello all, Norm here

Funny story about how I came to own my 07 F1Z (Metallic Red - my FAV color!)

I was riding a Kawa Versys, mostly as commuter, rarely off-road. My wife of 23 years recently became interested in riding with me (I told her, 'but you know why husbands ride, right?!') so we took a few short jaunts on the Versys. A few Saturdays ago we were in a pack of traffic and I 'floored' it to get away... did just fine, got home and she says "maybe you should look for a bigger bike for US"

onto CL I went a looking, Super Tenere was considered, looked (briefly) at a Multistrada... then came back down to earth... and I saw the post for the Fz1, near where I work and at a reasonable price and he was looking for a Versys! So we met, cruised around, and sealed the deal with the trade

Personal facts
Arizona desert rat born and raised from old AZ stock
married 23 years, 5 kids incl two sets of twins (ident boys and fraternal girls and one in the middle)

I've worked at Fujifilm for 21 years making chemicals for microchip processing. Been traveling to South Korea to set up a new production plant there.. always joke with my hosts that I'm gonna rent a cycle there.

Semi pro photographer:
Flickr: sundevilstormin's Photostream
Photography.... Beyond The Norm

See you out on the roads!

N

Great pictures Norm! Welcome.

MrJessehlee - what mounting bracket is spec'd for the top box? I had Givi side cases on my Versys and love the flexibility it gave me to pack stuff on rides

[edit] - never mind, search the forum and got LOTS of ideas for the brackets and top case!

lol! I couldn't have given you much info other than close up pictures. all mounts are all from Givi. I got the bike with them on :woot:

Back