New member welcome thread...

I have a Penske shock and AK20 fork cartridges from Traxxion Dynamics in mine and it works great, but I don't take it to the track.

I'm sure a lot of guys have swapped front ends as well.

Penske are nice with lots of adjustability, The R6 rear shock kits sold by Dean on this site are a cheaper but still quality option. There are also a couple years (2012 is one) of BMW1000 shocks that can be made to work.

AK20 can't be beat for OEM fork upgrade. Race Tech has a fork kit but I don't hear it mentioned too often. R1 forks can be made to work with good results but the spindle in the head stock is a special machined part.

Your bike looks great in white.
Welcome

Penske are nice with lots of adjustability, The R6 rear shock kits sold by Dean on this site are a cheaper but still quality option. There are also a couple years (2012 is one) of BMW1000 shocks that can be made to work.

AK20 can't be beat for OEM fork upgrade. Race Tech has a fork kit but I don't hear it mentioned too often. R1 forks can be made to work with good results but the spindle in the head stock is a special machined part.

Your bike looks great in white.
Welcome
Can a 2nd gen triple tree be used at all or is that just as much work?

I have a Penske on one Gen 1 and the 2012 BMW S1000rr on the other. 650lb spring on Penske and 700 lb. spring on the BMW. They are both a little firm solo, but perfect with a passenger. I like firm. I hear great things about the R6 shocks....... would like to try one, one of these days.

Hi,

My name is Chad and I live in Langley, BC, Canada. I got my FZ1 last year and have joined the forum to post any tidbits of knowledge that I stumble upon that I wish to still be searchable years later. This is my first time joining a bike forum but this bike has been a goal for me since my first one (a 2005 FZ6) so I plan on hanging onto it for a while.

As is a common trend on this forum, I am an engineer and I am currently in the bakery industry - it's one of the best smelling jobs I've ever had.

Here is my progression of bikes:

Yamaha TTR230
IMG_20160523_111047.jpg
2005 Yamaha FZ6
IMG_0420.jpg

2005 Honda VTX1800C
PXL_20230327_001513107.jpg

2009 Yamaha FZ1
PXL_20230723_034837024.jpg

Thanks for the welcome!

Hey all!
My name is Evan and I'm from Utah. I've been riding riding dirt bikes since I was 10 years old and have been watching moto GP for as long as I can remember. This year I made the jump to the street and got this beautiful 2006 FZ1 as my first street bike! My grandpa Ned (ndgibbs15 on YamahaFZ10A forum) had a first gen. I wanted one to be just like him though I opted for a second gen haha. The bike has a two brothers racing slip on muffler, egr delete, and a throttle commander tune thanks to the previous owner. I love the bike and want to keep it forever! I already have a couple mechanical questions so if anyone can point me in the right direction to get some help diagnosing a mechanical issue let me know. Thanks!

fz1.jpg

Last edited:
Hey all!
My name is Evan and I'm from Utah. I've been riding riding dirt bikes since I was 10 years old and have been watching moto GP for as long as I can remember. This year I made the jump to the street and got this beautiful 2006 FZ1 as my first street bike! My grandpa Ned (ndgibbs15 on YamahaFZ10A forum) had a first gen. I wanted one to be just like him though I opted for a second gen haha. The bike has a two brothers racing slip on muffler, egr delete, and a throttle commander tune thanks to the previous owner. I love the bike and want to keep it forever! I already have a couple mechanical questions so if anyone can point me in the right direction to get some help diagnosing a mechanical issue let me know. Thanks!

View attachment 28293
Gen2 coils don't like water. I would never pressure wash anything but the windshield and rims but stay away from hubs and chain.

Hey all!

View attachment 28293
Welcome! Your bike looks alot like mine. I had to re- cover the rear seat, not that hard. Takes a bit of patience though.

Sold my 2012 FZ1 a couple years ago and regretted it. Bought and sold a few bikes in that time but nothing really compared to the FZ1. Well the guy that bought it put it up for sale and I happened to see it on CL. I reached out and bought it back today. He only rode it 140miles and was just as it was when I sold it to him. My bike is now back to its forever home.
It now has 4400 miles but now that I am retired that will be changing.

Attachments

• IMG_4269.jpeg
    IMG_4269.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 9
Hello,

My name is Mike, picked up an 06 FZ1 last week. I live in west central Indiana. 55 years old. Haven't had a bike for a few years and am looking forward to riding again. I need to look into lower pegs, but otherwise i love the bike.
Hi I’m Steve I have a 2006 FZ1 silver in color I live on the nort side it indy and I would like to find someone to ride with time to time I’m in my late 50s so I do not ride like a idiot if you would like to talk let me now thanks

Attachments

• 99B8DF27-C665-41E4-9747-C379A2B25A57.jpeg
    99B8DF27-C665-41E4-9747-C379A2B25A57.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 1590D861-C466-46A1-9400-992513B40802.jpeg
    1590D861-C466-46A1-9400-992513B40802.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 3
Back