New Member, Possible new bike...

New Member, Possible new bike... PICS ADDED!

Hey All-
My name is Ryan. I'm a hardcore BMW enthusiast and run a shop working on cars. I race with NASA in a SpecE30. I own several BMW's and have always wanted a bike for some fun. I have the chance to acquire one from a customer of mine.
Question is, should I be getting his '03 FZ1 with 19k miles and a few mods as my first bike? I will be acquiring the bike next week and will either keep it and ride my 24mi commute to work on it or turn around and sell it.
I have good balance and I am past my crazy stage in life. I take my thrills to the track now, which I couldn't say a few years back. I'm 26 and single, seems like a good time to experience a bike in my life... Thoughts?

Last edited:
Only live once

Hey All-
My name is Ryan. I'm a hardcore BMW enthusiast and run a shop working on cars. I race with NASA in a SpecE30. I own several BMW's and have always wanted a bike for some fun. I have the chance to acquire one from a customer of mine.
Question is, should I be getting his '03 FZ1 with 19k miles and a few mods as my first bike? I will be acquiring the bike next week and will either keep it and ride my 24mi commute to work on it or turn around and sell it.
I have good balance and I am past my crazy stage in life. I take my thrills to the track now, which I couldn't say a few years back. I'm 26 and single, seems like a good time to experience a bike in my life... Thoughts?

The FZ 1 is one of the most versatile and best street bikes around. The first Generation bikes are the more comfortable of FZ's and you can't go wrong with it. I have owned 5 Yamaha's over the last 28 years and they have all been very reliable and have great engines. As you said, if you don't like it you can always sell it, it won't be difficult. As a first bike I can't see you having trouble from the bike. It is as safe as the rider.:cheers:

My FZ1 was my third street bike. Had 2 Hondas, An 81 CB750 and an 82 magna V45. Had all dirt riding before that. Allways have been a motor head, mostly 4x4's. IMO, as a fist bike, the FZ1 might be good, based on your experiance. BE AWARE, she is still a 1 liter bike. she has alot of guts and maybe a bit overwhelming to a new rider. There is a fine line beween a powerfull, responsive motorcycle to one that is unforgiving to a small mistake. Pavement hurts. Still I say go for it. Fortune favors the bold. Like my beloved English grandmother used to say: "Love, you don't have to be good but you have to carefull".

I too say go for it. You know your limitations going in, just don't forget about them and you'll be ok. And it wont hurt to take a MSF course. By the way my first bike was a 1988 Yamaha FZR1000 so I am speaking from experience...

At a ripe old age of 26 I'm not sure you are beyond the "need for speed" group. At 26 I was still wet behind the ears and there wasn't enough speed to make me happy. One thing you'll see on the FZ1 is that what you thought was fast and quick wasn't. Be careful and enjoy the two-wheeled world, and you won't be so impressed with four wheels again. Remember, with two wheels you have to keep the rubber side down and the shiney side up.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am taking delivery of the bike on thursday morning, at which point I will probably list it for sale. I have yet to decide if I truly want to get on a bike and start riding. It sounds like a ton of fun, but everyoine around me is against it......

I would suggest trying it for a while. Take a motorcycle safety course (that might help ease those around you) and give it a chance. Speaking for myself, getting a motorcyle and riding is one of the best things that I've ever done. I usually encourage everyone I meet, whether they are interested or not, into learning to ride.

Get it and try it out... see if you A) Like it and more important B) can exercise throttle control.

If you fail at B then sell it because you're going to get hurt. It's a very powerful piece of machinery and nothing like racing a car at all. This bike will launch out from under you if you cannot control your right hand. :D

Lonerider59 is spot-on with his depiction. :tup:

I agree with the others Ryan. Ride the bike for a while and see how it fits you. You can always turn around and sell it later but I have a strong feeling that it will grow on you like a fungus and you'll wind up keeping it. That is if your truly cut out for riding a bike. Some are and some aren't but it will be an experience for you at best. Once you get to see and feel the comfort and power of the FZ, I imagine that you'll be hooked as are all the others here in the group. Try it, you'll like it!

Got my bike today... Rode it up and down the driveway a few times and now I am itching to get my permit and take a saftey course... I knew I would like it, just not sure how much. I will say that I wouldn't have bought this bike, but since it was traded to me and everyoine raves about it, I will give it a shot.
Here's a pic of it in my shop.
Full fairing, turn signal delete, large windshield (have small one too) tank bag, rear seat bag, otherwise stock. 19k miles, very nice condition with no signs of wear.
aak.sized.jpg

aaj.sized.jpg

aab.sized.jpg

aac.sized.jpg

And here's a pic of my 2 cars so you can see where I'm comming from... Hardcore BMW junkie here!
abj.sized.jpg

PS: I am a total gearhead. I live in my shop (literally) and eat/sleep/breathe cars. Now's my chance to see what the 2-wheeled world is all about.

nice looking GenI! (cars are also nice but not my thing :innocent0002:)
I'd say take the time to get familiar and enjoy.....Again welcome to the forum :shine:

A Guys Dreamhome!

Nice House/ Shop ! Of course mine would be full of bikes. If I were single I could see having a similar set up. Definately give the FZ a chance to impress you, it will. Not like you don't have the room.

Hmm I wonder if my wife would go for something like that? House built into the garage. Awesome!!! Congratulations on the purchase! The bike looks great.

Hmm I wonder if my wife would go for something like that? House built into the garage. Awesome!!! Congratulations on the purchase! The bike looks great.

Luckily I didn't have to convince a woman to let me do this... The shop is 2400 sq ft with 2 lifts and lots of lighting. My 3 cars+ truck fit in here just fine, so there is plenty of room for the FZ1.
Off to Buttonwillow today for a SpecE30 race with NASA. Next week I start focus on my riding skills:woot:

Glad you kept it Ryan. I can't imagine someone like yourself not loving this thing. I'm sure you're a natural.

I took to this thing like a fish to water... I feel so comfortable on it, I even surprised myself! I did the MSC on friday, and I have another session next friday, then I am good to go! I rode for 65 miles yesterday and didn't want to get off the bike. I'm hooked!
Here's a shot of it after her first bath...
aam.sized.jpg

aan.sized.jpg

I swapped the short windshield back on, it looks so much better.

Just picked up my order for some Alpinestars gear. Got a Jacket and pants that actually fit me... I'm also enjoying my new AGV S4 helmet, great composite helmet for the $$.
Few quick pics...
aas.sized.jpg

aar.sized.jpg

Thats It!! Your done for. I knew you'd like this bike. They grow on you like a fungus. It's only a matter of time now before the mods happening! We'll be there to help you buddy! Good luck with it.

Back