New FZ1S prices are expensive

kneesliders

Was in a Melbourne Yamaha dealer yesterday and they have a new 2012 white FZ1S up for $16995 ride away! Wow, guess that's why there are hardly any used FZ1S for sale if they want that much...aside from owners liking them so much they keep hold of them ;-)

Is it really that expensive in Australia? The MSRP is $10,790. Normally, you can get a good deal on them too because they're a bit long in the tooth compared to competitors like the Ninja 1000. But of course, you Australians have a very high minimum wage and a lower unemployment rate, so it would make sense that they can charge more and still make sales.

By the way, I'm super excited to get the Commodore over here again, and I can't for the Ute and the LT-1 models to be introduced.

Satellite

^That has got to be the perfect do-it-all vehicle

Was in a Melbourne Yamaha dealer yesterday and they have a new 2012 white FZ1S up for $16995 ride away! Wow, guess that's why there are hardly any used FZ1S for sale if they want that much...aside from owners liking them so much they keep hold of them ;-)
Yes,they love to rip us off here,but I believe thing`s will have to change as we are all now watching the price`s in other countries and people are starting to complain

Yeah, we get ripped off alright. If they actually dropped bike prices a bit they might actually start shifting more. Trade in prices don't seem to match the high new prices either, I was offered just $5k trade-in against a Speed Triple as an example.

Bet that SS Ute costs a bucket less in the US than here in Oz as well.

When I lived in the UK I replaced my bike every two years, trading in to get the new model but I've had to change since being out here and buy new but just keep for a few more years. Saying that, the FZ1S is an easy bike to have to get by on :)

If you hunt down a new unsold older bike you can score a deal. I paid $13000 ride away with 12mths Comp Ins for my new 09 mod in Sept 2011. I was really looking for a 600 or (675 Triumph) but they were around $15750 couldn't go past the deal.

Last edited:
Yes,they love to rip us off here,but I believe thing`s will have to change as we are all now watching the price`s in other countries and people are starting to complain

Nah, things will not change in Oz. When I lived there from 1996 to 2001 people were always complaining about the high prices relative to the US. Part of the reason is a small market and competition is limited. You can't do much about the small market but the lack of competition is rooted in the government policies in place. A lot was changed when your former PM John Howard was in place (freer markets and such) but since he left the policies have gone backwards as far as trade is concerned. There are people who like the high prices and profit from them and they have the governments ear, not the consumer. You can complain but not much will change.

Nah, things will not change in Oz. When I lived there from 1996 to 2001 people were always complaining about the high prices relative to the US. Part of the reason is a small market and competition is limited. You can't do much about the small market but the lack of competition is rooted in the government policies in place. A lot was changed when your former PM John Howard was in place (freer markets and such) but since he left the policies have gone backwards as far as trade is concerned. There are people who like the high prices and profit from them and they have the governments ear, not the consumer. You can complain but not much will change.

Do you have a higher importation tax/tariff system than the US? Does Japan cut us a better deal in the US because we nuked them and then rebuilt them?

Saw that last week and no surprise that it is still sat there! Went to another dealer in Melbourne and traded my 2008 for a white 2012 but they had theirs up for $14500 ride away although it was a demo with 750kms. Got a good deal but seems like the 2012 are rare in Oz so seem to be holding their price.

Cheaper to get a 2009 or 2010 and get a paint job I reckon :)

I think that I bought that 2012 white FZ1S from Yamaha City!!!

Couldn't go past the finance deal being offered (3.89%) + they paid the first 12 months comprehensive insurance.

Zero on the clock when I picked her up & 500km later, I'm loving it.

I think that I bought that 2012 white FZ1S from Yamaha City!!!

Couldn't go past the finance deal being offered (3.89%) + they paid the first 12 months comprehensive insurance.

Zero on the clock when I picked her up & 500km later, I'm loving it.

Nice one, I'll look out for you when I'm out and about around Melbourne....and say snap ;-)

I've never seen another white one on the road, we are in an exclusive club :)

You guys have it easy. New list price for the Fz1s over here in Dublin is 12950 euro that is in and around 17k US dollars. :nono: Add into that the fact we are going through the worst recession since the foundation of the state and it will give you an idea of why Ireland has one of the lowest motorbike riders per capita in Europe. Don't worry be happy folks.:tup:

I think I got all you guys beat...

List price for 2012 FZ1N here in India - On road + taxes paid: $21300 US

After a "dealer discount" I got my 2012 FZ1N for $20600 US

Reason for this daylight robbery: 100% Import duty on imported motorcycles.
The big bike market here in India is tiny. Really don't understand who the government is trying to protect.

Back