New FZ1 owner reporting for duty ......

I just turned 60 this year and have been riding since 1976 when my wife came home and said she had just bought a new motorcycle (Honda CB 550). Since then I've had BMW's and a Suzuki, and even a brief foray into Triumph's but also have had a 1995 Yamaha Seca II, a 1997 YZF 600, a 2003 FJR 1300, and most recently an FZ6. Two weeks ago the local Yamaha dealer had the 18 wheeler/trailer on site where you could demo almost all of the Yamaha's (no V Max though). I rode the FZ8 and FZ1, and the following week went shopping and found a new 2009 Yamaha FZ1 with the Retro kit already installed at a dealer 82 miles away. Reminds me of the Yammie's of the 1970's like the RD-350 and RD-400. Only have 200 miles on it so far, but let some sane modifications begin.

I know this thread would be worthless without pics so here are a few of a box stock FZ1.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Beautiful bike!!!! I really like that retro kit.
Are you going to modify the muffler? I just ask because I modify the muffler on all my vehicles (both 2 and 4 wheels).
Ivan's Jet Kit and an upgraded seat are 2 popular upgrades. Suspension work seems to be the most popular upgrades right now.
Welcome to the forum. You can find the answer to pretty much anything question you have here. :tup:

For some idea's about modifying look up the FZ1 SP version.

That has the same paint sceme but has already some mods from the importer

110311fz1sp1.jpg

Last edited:
You have a rarity there. The "retro" models are seldom seen. I'm a little older than you and I've tried to keep my 2008 as stock as I can and when I do throw on an aftermarket piece I keep the stock stuff. I'm sure you have owned and ridden long enough to know, the more stock you keep it, the more it will hold it's value. You may be able to squeeze a few more ponies out of it by changing the can, putting on a PCIII or V and modding the flys etc,etc, but those extra ponies will only get you further into the flashing blue and red zone anyway. Congrats on the bike ad welcome to the forum.

Strangly enuff my bike sat on the showroom floor at the local dealer for 2 years and it had the retro body on it,I had to have red which they informed me was the stock body in the back in boxes.retro's are cool however the red front fender just looks out of place to me not trying to rain on your parade,WELCOME!!!!!

Strangly enuff my bike sat on the showroom floor at the local dealer for 2 years and it had the retro body on it,I had to have red which they informed me was the stock body in the back in boxes.retro's are cool however the red front fender just looks out of place to me not trying to rain on your parade,WELCOME!!!!!

Actually, I saw this bike on the dealer's showroom floor one year ago AFTER I had already bought my FZ6 from another dealer. Man, I felt bad when i saw it last year cause I love that look. It was still there last week when I bought it so I suspect many buyers don't tweak on to the Yamaha color history or the overall Retro look. Yes, I can see how some would think the red fender looks a bit out of place, but that's part of the Yamaha color scheme from their sportbikes of the mid-90's (Thundercat, et al) which didn't make it to these shores with that exact color motif. I'm thinking of painting the rear hugger red to throw some color back there and carry on the overall color scheme.

Back