New Fz1 owner and New bike Owner

Just want to introduce myself on here and start off by saying I am brand new to bike world. I was always a motor head with Ford Mustangs and though a bike might be a good idea to drive to work and save some money on fuel. So I took a trip to a big town called Bloomsburg PA. I was looking to start out small on a cbr 600 but this yellow and black bike in the back kept drawing my attention to it. I finally caved in and walk back to it. I saw Fz1 on this side and was like never heard of this bike before. The owner then came over and told me he just wanted to get ride of it because he is trying to only carry hondas in his shop. A few days later I got a 2003 Black and yellow Fz1 with only 3,145 miles on it for 2k even. After 5 months of ownership and 1,000 miles under my belt I am ready for some modes. I have changed the control levers and handle bar ends to gold, and order the entire lower cowling from TCP. (side note orderd from rideaddict in Oct and the part is still not here :( ) Wanted to know if anyone know of good roads to ride in Pennsylvania or Finger lake area of New York.

Welcome to the site and congrats! WOW! That was a smokin' deal you got. Getting a Bee is hard enough. Getting one that is barely broke in is incredible!

We've got a lot of Gen I talent here to help you out with anything you have questions about.

Ride safe!

-Eric

Thanks Cobalt for the warm welcome. When I got the bike I started to do research, and relized just how good of deal I got. I love the bike and of course want to mod it so that it will stand out. I mean it being a bee (as you put it ) stands out enough but the black and yellow lower cowling should make it even more unique in my area. Can not wait for warm weather to come back in about 1 month.

lol not to burst your bubble but 1000 miles aint a lot, i did 500 miles on saturday. take it slow man, talk to some people to learn the basics. look up keith code twist of the wrist 2. get to a track day and stick to an instructor the whole day. there's a steep learning curve and if you tackle it too early, most of the times you lose. not everybody, but most do. for aesthetic mods, go to town on that thing, it's a sweet bike! it's not like a car, no roll cage, making mistakes have far worse consequences

look up keith code twist of the wrist 2.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVWNinsmkAw]Twist of the Wrist II - YouTube[/ame] [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bH2ztna6L04]Learn all about your Motobike * Twist of the Wrist 2 - YouTube[/ame]

...and :welcome: Nice bumble bee. :shine: I've always liked any Yamaha in black and yellow :) Great looking bike. Be careful!

Thanks all and I guess I should have made myself more clear I am looking at more mods on the side of looks and not power. This thing has more then enough power right now for me and thanks for warning about taking it slow. I live right near walkin glen NY now so I will be there alot this summer. Just wounderng I would like to get some frame sliders incase something would ever happen and I do drop the bike it can hit them rather then the plastics any good places to pick them up. I will watch that video later when youtube is not blocked(work computer right now) And it is cool to see anyother person with a bee. Does anyone know how many they made in the black and yellow combo for 2003.

Jeez! A 2003 with only 3,100 miles on it. That is an amazing deal.

Welcome to the forum and congrats!

P.S. Since when do you need more than 1000 miles to start doing some modding? You seem like a very sensible person to me. You don't have to be a road racer or expert to enjoy farkling your bike. ...or to be a safe rider. Be safe and enjoy making that bike your own.

Hello and welcome!
Actually I should also add congratulations. Finding a Bee in that good a condition is a real find. Very nice. I have a 2004 Skunk which is the same color pattern but with black & gray. Well I am also a Mustang gear head so I think you will really enjoy the FZ1. I owned a 89 Mustang GT and I am struggling with whether to let it go or turn it into a pure racing car. The FZ1 is a fantastic all around bike. LOL I'm kind of coming at this from the same perspective as I had only heard of the FZ1 described as "An old man's R1". HAHAHAHA!!!! You are going to enjoy this bike more than you imagined. :cheers:

As far as mods - I mod the exhaust on every single vehicle I own. Just something about the sound of a well tuned exhaust combined with a powerful motor - :woot::woot::wow::wow::woot::woot: I LOVE it!!!!!!!

The seat is another thing that people mod quite a bid although I can put 400 to 500 miles on it before I start to feel pain. I am starting to think that a belly pan is a good accessory that makes the bike looks come together.

Here is a mostly free mod that you can do if you are doing any commuting. The mirrors are set on the FZ1 where they create wind buffering at highway speeds. This mod will change the positioning of the mirrors and you have 2 positions to choose from. Here is the wright up:

FuzzyOne's Stock Mirror Mod

Congrats again on the Bee. That is awesome!
Spend some time looking through the forums. There are a lot of very nice - smart people who will be happy to give you tips so don't hesitate to ask although the search function is your best friend. EVERY single mod that you can think of has been written up in detail. Enjoy your ride.
:sport12:

Last edited:
:DThanks all for the congrats and letting me know just how hard a bee is to find. I though they where all over but apparently I was wrong with that one :). So far I love the bike I did notice on super long rides that my rear end does start to get sore and I need to strech abit. As for mods no clue why the 1st owner put so little millage on it but I know he did drop it as it has a dent in the tank only think I saw that was wrong with the bike. It has a muzzy exhust on it right now and new windscreen. I added new control levers and handbars. Also have a set of full lower cowlings coming in that I can not wait for.

As for the Fz1 overall I could tell that it will be a long lasting relationship I love the look and feel of the bike on the road. Plus I will be hitched soon so it's nice to know that this bike can support 2 up pretty well. Look forward to reading all the good know how you all have and sharing pictures of the bee when it is all modded out.

One last question I keep hearing that the gen 1 has some things better then gen 2, but isnt the gen 2 fuel injected and has abs. Just not clear what you mean on that.

Thanks all for the information so far and thanks for bring my ego up abit saying 1000 miles is ok to mod

One last question I keep hearing that the gen 1 has some things better then gen 2, but isnt the gen 2 fuel injected and has abs. Just not clear what you mean on that.

Thanks all for the information so far and thanks for bring my ego up abit saying 1000 miles is ok to mod

As far as the differences between a Gen 1 and Gen 2 is the equivalent of the argument between Ford vs Chevy, Blondes vs Brunettes, etc. You will also find plenty of examples of forum members trading jabs about this. Most are in good humor.
This is a VERY INDIVIDUAL ANSWER....meaning that different people see different things. The main difference is that the Gen 1 is carburated and the Gen 2 is fuel injected. The Gen 1 has a larger fuel tank that is pretty noticiable when you are drivin with a group of Gen 2 bikes. Most feel the Gen 2 is a sportier look while the Gen 1 is a more upright - sport touring look. I own a Gen 1 and love it.... I have driven a few Gen 2's and love them also. LOL I even know a few people who own both a Gen 1 and Gen 2.

Here ia a real good write up on the history of the FZ1. LOL I normally don't use Wiki as a source but this one is pretty accurate and was probably written by someone who is on one of the boards. :cheers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_FZ1

So anyone know good roads to ride in northeastern PA or Fingerlakes region on NY. I'm down for anything as soon as winter breaks. Also i see a trend here with mustang and fz1 lovers I see I picked the right type of bike. :sport12:

Thanks all and I guess I should have made myself more clear I am looking at more mods on the side of looks and not power. This thing has more then enough power right now for me and thanks for warning about taking it slow. I live right near walkin glen NY now so I will be there alot this summer. Just wounderng I would like to get some frame sliders incase something would ever happen and I do drop the bike it can hit them rather then the plastics any good places to pick them up. I will watch that video later when youtube is not blocked(work computer right now) And it is cool to see anyother person with a bee. Does anyone know how many they made in the black and yellow combo for 2003.

For cosmetics, a rear tire hugger makes gen-1 look sportier see link, also replace the rear turn signals & license plat holder with fender eliminator kit, that cleans the look drastically. with a bike that old with that mileage, I suggest regularly using 2 oz of carb cleaner for the next 10 tanks, it did wonders for my bike a 2004 bought it 2012 with 4900 miles on it at that time.
FZ1

Is the bike completely stock?

Back