new FZ1 $6992

Yea, that is a good deal. I remember seeing '08's all over eBay last Fall/Winter advertised for the same price. However considering that there was a price increase in '09 that is a very attractive deal.

Price difference

Yea, that is a good deal. I remember seeing '08's all over eBay last Fall/Winter advertised for the same price. However considering that there was a price increase in '09 that is a very attractive deal.

It really is mind boggling the difference in price between the US and Canada. Considering that our dollar is hovering around .97 US. The dealers here are advertising a new 09 FZ1 for $11,099! Glad I bought my 08. Could be that up here they are hard to find, the dealers stock very few. Just for comparison a 09 FZ6(blue) is listed for $8999.00 and a 09 FZ6R, (yellow) is going for $6995.00

Last edited:
Wish I could afford a second one at that price right now! I'd strip it and make it a track-only bike! That would give me a bunch of spare parts to either stock in the event of an off, or, parts to toy with, cut up, mod, etc... to make the bike something totally different. :D

Ouch!, ouch! and ouch!

New FZ1N In Holland is 13.499 EUR wich is 20.113 US Dollars

So getting one for 6995 US Dollar which is 4.692 EUR is a huge differance.
Wish we could get them that cheap.

makes you wonder

Ouch!, ouch! and ouch!

New FZ1N In Holland is 13.499 EUR wich is 20.113 US Dollars

So getting one for 6995 US Dollar which is 4.692 EUR is a huge differance.
Wish we could get them that cheap.

You have to wonder what goes into pricing a model for sale ! The manufacture's unit price is consistant and set. So why the HUGE differences from country to country ?? Shipping cannot explain over 100% or more in some cases. From the pricing it appears they are dumping bikes for a loss in the US. Or they are scalping in Europe and England, and to some degree in Canada ? At least for Canadians, we do have the option of cross border bargains, mind you with a lot of hassles when it comes to Vehicles. :cuss:

You have to wonder what goes into pricing a model for sale ! The manufacture's unit price is consistant and set. So why the HUGE differences from country to country ?? Shipping cannot explain over 100% or more in some cases. From the pricing it appears they are dumping bikes for a loss in the US. Or they are scalping in Europe and England, and to some degree in Canada ? At least for Canadians, we do have the option of cross border bargains, mind you with a lot of hassles when it comes to Vehicles. :cuss:

I think the big variable that you're forgetting are the tariffs that governments place on imports. I bet in some countries liter bikes get taxed at a very high rate.

Back in the 80's the US taxed imported bikes 750cc and over at a high rate so we ended up with a lot of 700cc bikes for a few years.

Last edited:
I just got an email from the dealer I got my FZ from. They are advertising 2009 FZ1's $6992. I'm sure that's plus tax but still a pretty good deal.

That is a really good deal! Especially since its an 09. I got my 08 for around the same price 3 months ago and THAT was a good deal. Nice find!

Makes you wonder how they can sell bikes at such a loss and still stay in business. It seems like all the dealers up north do the same thing every year at the end of riding season,so we aren't talking about a couple of isolated incidents.

From my understanding, motorcycles have about a 14% markup at MSRP. So that means dealers pay about $8789 for an FZ1. So that is about a $1596 loss on those bikes.

Makes you wonder how they can sell bikes at such a loss and still stay in business. It seems like all the dealers up north do the same thing every year at the end of riding season,so we aren't talking about a couple of isolated incidents.

From my understanding, motorcycles have about a 14% markup at MSRP. So that means dealers pay about $8789 for an FZ1. So that is about a $1596 loss on those bikes.

Dealers sometimes-like with the 2008 model year-purchase bikes at year end at an auction. If you catch a dealer with an auction bike, he's able to offer a much lower price and still make a profit. I purchased my 08 in July 09 for 7399, however several other dealers in my area were selling the same bike for close to retail of 9299. Difference? One purchased at Yamaha auction and the other purchased before the 08 season at full wholesale.

Dealers sometimes-like with the 2008 model year-purchase bikes at year end at an auction. If you catch a dealer with an auction bike, he's able to offer a much lower price and still make a profit. I purchased my 08 in July 09 for 7399, however several other dealers in my area were selling the same bike for close to retail of 9299. Difference? One purchased at Yamaha auction and the other purchased before the 08 season at full wholesale.

I'm sure if that is the case, it is quite rare. I used to live in Chicago and would watch every year when they discounted their bikes. I doubt that just about every bike these guys had in their shops were purchased at auctions.

First of all, I'm new here. So, hello everyone!

Second, WOOWW!!!
That is some price difference! I plan on buying one at some point (right now I'm still loving my SV, but it's clear that I'm gonna come back to this forum as an owner in about 1.5 years). Here's something that figures:

Should I buy a brand new fz1 from around here, it would cost me around 12k euros ~ 18k $...

If I buy a plane ticket to the states, arange for transportation via a sea shipment vessel (cheapest form of global transportation known to man), pay the + VAT (you've got 12% I believe.. over here it's 20%), pay all the registration + import taxes,

I would still come out on top with about 5k $..

Now here's the tricky bit : a used fz1 goes for about 5k$ in the US, right? well, pump that up to ~10k $ in europe, soo, it still makes sense even for a used fz1. That's barking mad!!

First of all, I'm new here. So, hello everyone!

Second, WOOWW!!!
That is some price difference! I plan on buying one at some point (right now I'm still loving my SV, but it's clear that I'm gonna come back to this forum as an owner in about 1.5 years). Here's something that figures:

Should I buy a brand new fz1 from around here, it would cost me around 12k euros ~ 18k $...

If I buy a plane ticket to the states, arange for transportation via a sea shipment vessel (cheapest form of global transportation known to man), pay the + VAT (you've got 12% I believe.. over here it's 20%), pay all the registration + import taxes,

I would still come out on top with about 5k $..

Now here's the tricky bit : a used fz1 goes for about 5k$ in the US, right? well, pump that up to ~10k $ in europe, soo, it still makes sense even for a used fz1. That's barking mad!!

If I am not mistaken, you would also have to convert the bike so it is configured for your country. That means a new speedometer and whatever makes it run as well as the lights might need to be changed, and you might have to do some emissions mods.

I know people that were stationed overseas, and they had to reconfigure bikes if they brought them back to the US. By the time you threw in the money for reconfiguration and shipping, and import duties, it wasn't really worth it coming this way. Perhaps it would still work out fine for you.

And we don't have a VAT. We pay sales tax and that amount depends on the state you are located in. I pay 3% in North Carolina, but I also have to pay a yearly "property tax" on my vehicles. Still doesn't work out to much though, provided you don't have all new vehicles.

Yamaha certainly seem to be dumping some cheap stock in the USA and its certainly not shipping costs that account for the huge price differences.

My local enterprising dealer has imported a load of US Fazers. The list price for a new 2009 FZ1S in the UK is £8999. I have just bought a new 2009 US import from him for £6499 including double shipping, import duties etc!

You guys are lucky, make the most of it while it lasts. :)

If I am not mistaken, you would also have to convert the bike so it is configured for your country. That means a new speedometer and whatever makes it run as well as the lights might need to be changed, and you might have to do some emissions mods.

I know people that were stationed overseas, and they had to reconfigure bikes if they brought them back to the US. By the time you threw in the money for reconfiguration and shipping, and import duties, it wasn't really worth it coming this way. Perhaps it would still work out fine for you.

And we don't have a VAT. We pay sales tax and that amount depends on the state you are located in. I pay 3% in North Carolina, but I also have to pay a yearly \"property tax\" on my vehicles. Still doesn't work out to much though, provided you don't have all new vehicles.

It would still be interesting for him to buy it from the states. Even for us in Sweden it would be cheaper than buying it here, including the mods, except for the fact that it's very difficult to pass all the regulations.

The price for a 2010 FZ1-S is 21 415 USD here in Sweden. I bought my used FZ1-SA (ABS) with 4600KM for 10700 USD or approx 7200€

Most US dealers are selling at or below cost to get the old bikes off their floor plan. These bikes were ordered last year and are country specific so there is no dumping going on. The simple fact is that almost all of the dealers are losing money and haven't made any money in a year. The big Harley dealer here in Atlanta sold a total of 11 bikes last month and 5 of those were the Buells with huge rebates. That doesn't even pay the electric bill for that place. The local Honda dealer isn't doing any better. Some of the big, high overhead dealers won't make it unless something dramatic happens this spring and people start buying again. It's just arithmetic. You can't stay in business losing money.

Back