New from Texas!

Hello all. I just picked up my 03 fz1 as a trade for my race bike. Riding it has been different and interesting to say the least. I'm here to learn what I can and shoot the bull with some fellow riders.

Hello all. I just picked up my 03 fz1 as a trade for my race bike. Riding it has been different and interesting to say the least. I'm here to learn what I can and shoot the bull with some fellow riders.

Welcome 86! Glad to have you on board. By chance did you get the "Bee" (Yellow and Black) 03' or Silver? Post some pics up for us when you have time. Congrats on the new ride. Your gonna love your GenI. And don't worry, you'll learn everything you need to know by hanging out here. All our people are knowledgeable, friendly, and willing to help!

Welcome 86! Glad to have you on board. By chance did you get the "Bee" (Yellow and Black) 03' or Silver? Post some pics up for us when you have time. Congrats on the new ride. Your gonna love your GenI. And don't worry, you'll learn everything you need to know by hanging out here. All our people are knowledgeable, friendly, and willing to help!

YZFRiderNY (formerly FZ1RiderNY, aka Billy) knows a thing or 2 about setting up a Gen 1. I was able to ride his former 2001 FZ1 when it was owned by pilot8127. It was quite a beast. I know pilot8127 tweaked it a bit himself too. :jaw drop: (It was even in a magazine)

I wish I had gotten a bee! Mine is solid black. I posted a picture in my other thread but here you go.
It definitely needs a carb kit and suspension work but I think I'll like it.

:welcome: and congrats! I did also read your impression and I'll have to agree that the Gen II is more of what you're looking for as the seating is a bit more aggressive. The suspension still isn't that great and I've taken the road of many by installing the Penske 8983 and some beefier fork springs. It made a huge difference.

For the Gen I, maybe a Penske with some lift to reduce the rake and put some more forward bite in the front?

Regardless, congrats on the "Luxury Monster!"

That's the shock I ran on my Cbr and I loved it! I've got a few ideas for the rear of the bike. It's the front I'm debating on. I'm trying to decide if its worth the trouble to do the r1 swap or just upgrade the stock fork internals.

You can get some complete R1 fronts and run USD forks for short money, much shorter than a set of cartridges. :D

I'm lovin the Penske and do not regret the money spent at all. Now I am saving to send the forks to Lee @ Traxxion so they can set them up for me. As much as I'd like to do the R1 front.... Maybe if that "just right" deal pops up?!?!? :D

You can get some complete R1 fronts and run USD forks for short money, much shorter than a set of cartridges. :D

I'm lovin the Penske and do not regret the money spent at all. Now I am saving to send the forks to Lee @ Traxxion so they can set them up for me. As much as I'd like to do the R1 front.... Maybe if that "just right" deal pops up?!?!? :D

USD? Sorry. New bike. New set of acronyms to learn!

I'm in the north Fort Worth area. By Texas motor speedway.

USD? Sorry. New bike. New set of acronyms to learn!

I'm in the north Fort Worth area. By Texas motor speedway.

USD=Up Side Down in reference to the forks. Gen 2 has USD, but Gen 1 are 'conventional' forks. The R1 gives you the USD. I know theWolfTamer has done the R1 fork conversion on the Gen 1 and I think she did the R6 rear shock too.

Back