New Engine Break-In?

NoCal

Hi everyone, I found this site online. It goes against the manufacturers suggestions but it seems to make a lot of sense. I showed it to a couple of my friends who are mechanics and they agree with this guy and this is how they themselves break-in their new engines.

The author clearly states his approach is controversial but I thought I would pass it on. Thoughts? :nerd:

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

I've used the motoman method of a sort on everything I've owned since before he wrote it. I've never had an issue with rings, valves, burning oil, etc...

The dealer is 58 miles away. When I get home with a new bike after a varied RPM run of high compression/decompression, I change the oil then.

The specs, technology and standards today used to put an engine together are very precise with much lower tolerances. But even back then, I still broke them in like I wanted to run them for the rest of their time.

I had a 150cc scooter when I decided to get back into motorcycling. I used his method to break in the motor and had no problems whatsoever. In fact, that bike easily ran 64mph with me solo, and 58mph with my son aboard. It never burnt a drop of oil, and is still running strong with the new owner to this day.

on the rare occasion I get to break in a new engine... I beat it like a rented mule from the get go. ... but that's been a long time... I think the last engine I broke in was the 347 I built up for my 67 F100

With brand new bike, the dealer said, " just don't bounce it off the red line that much" I couldn't buy that. Kept it below 7K until 600mi. and mostly no higher than 5K. When I hit 800 I changed the oil and between 800 and 1000 mi I'd take it to 8K or 9K. At 1000 I didn't hesitate to take it just below reline. However, I believe an engine is still breaking in up to 2000 so I still baby it just a little.

Back