Except not for me......Took a buddy down near Detroit to look at a 2001 FZ1 for sale, he ended up buying it so we brought it home. Its a pretty nice Gen 1 but does need a few things (well, if it were mine). Fender eliminator being first, anyone suggest a decent but affordable one? Someone just hacked the bottom half of the original off....
I'll be cleaning it up starting tonight. Also replacing the battery and oil/filter. He's not a mechanic whatsoever so i'm helping him out.....

Last edited:
Got it cleaned up this afternoon and the oil/filter out. Picking up the new battery and the Amsoil/filter tomorrow......It cleaned up nice, not a fan of the 1st Gen FZ1 but its perfect for him.....love the color, just needs a fender eliminator and flushmounts.....Thats up to him though. lol.

So used to my Kaw now...............I can't believe how light this thing feels.

Last edited:
Change the brake fluid out, flush and fill the cooling system and if you can, dump the fork oil and put in new. :D

Great friend to have, you are! It looks awesome!

Change the brake fluid out, flush and fill the cooling system and if you can, dump the fork oil and put in new. :D

Great friend to have, you are! It looks awesome!

Brake fluid, brake lines, coolant, and fork oil all just replaced two weeks ago! I would have otherwise. I wouldn't have bothered with the oil/filter except the guy used Rotella when he did the rest of the service. I'm a firm believer that motorcycles need......motorcycle oil.

If my wife and I came to Michigan, would you be willing to meet in Frankenmuth? That is about the halfway point... our friends live in Smiths Creek. Trying to get her to ride out there again. She did it on the FZ6R. :D

If my wife and I came to Michigan, would you be willing to meet in Frankenmuth? That is about the halfway point... our friends live in Smiths Creek. Trying to get her to ride out there again. She did it on the FZ6R. :D

Absolutely! Only if you let me buy dinner though. My wife and I ride together every chance we get, she loves it. We can meet you anywhere you like. She LOVES Frankenmuth so I take her there a few times a year.

I'll keep you informed. We've been twice and she spends the better part of the day inside Bronner's! If it happens, it will be sometime in the last half of August when her current contract is over. I'm forcing her to take time off before she pulls another gig!

She is salaried professional at Robert Half. She is an accountant. She likes being able to take on short term contracts and not sit in one place for long. :D Best part is she is portable to anywhere!

Brake fluid, brake lines, coolant, and fork oil all just replaced two weeks ago! I would have otherwise. I wouldn't have bothered with the oil/filter except the guy used Rotella when he did the rest of the service. I'm a firm believer that motorcycles need......motorcycle oil.

Rotella has a JSMO motorcycle rating. I know a boat load of guys who have used it in their bikes (many makes) with no problems. I use the Rotella dino in all my motors and the Synthetic in my 990.

Nice clean up job, can I drop off a few bikes? ;)

LOLOL, Ride on over!

Only guys I know who buy Rotella (by the gallon) put it in their diesel trucks. :)
I pretty much stick to Amsoil in my bikes and Motul for my snowmobile. Mobil 1 in the cars. Never use a drop in anything or have a single leak. Noticed the shifts are smoothest, less high frequency vibs in the bars and the engine runs the coolest with Amsoil in the bike, tried them all through the years and settled on Amsoil. My SkiDoo seems to like the Motul best.

Last edited:
Only guys I know who buy Rotella (by the gallon) put it in their diesel trucks. :)

It is a diesel oil but it's also fully compatible with 4-stroke motorcycle engines. As mentioned above, it's JASO-MA certified. The only negative points I've seen are that they don't have as long a service life as other oils. Many people have submitted their Rotella for analysis and I often see recommended oil change intervals of 4000-5000 miles max

Shell said:
Protection 15W-40, Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 (CI-4) and our soon to be
introduced (within the next 2 months) Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4.
All three oils passed the wet clutch friction test. Rotella T Synthetic
5W-40 (CI-4) has more than 1.2% ash (JASO MA spec limit) so it can not
be classified as JASO MA. However, Rotella T with Triple Protection
15W-40 and our soon to be introduced Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 CJ-4 do
meet JASO MA."

If you have any additional questions please call us at 800-231-6950.
Thank you for your interest in Shell products.

Richard Moore
Staff Engineer
Shell Global Solutions (US) Inc.
Westhollow Technology Center, PO Box 4327, Houston, TX 77210, United
States of America

It is a diesel oil but it's also fully compatible with 4-stroke motorcycle engines. As mentioned above, it's JASO-MA certified. The only negative points I've seen are that they don't have as long a service life as other oils. Many people have submitted their Rotella for analysis and I often see recommended oil change intervals of 4000-5000 miles max

That must be an old Shell statement, my Rotella bottles have had that rating for quite some time. I have met too many old farts that have used Rotella in all their motors for many years with out problems. Works just fine and I save $$ for riding more. It's more about clean oil vs dirty oil.

Yeah, older statement

I always make sure to pick up a bottle of Rotella synthetic when I pop down across the border. It's $19 for a gallon at the US Walmart and more than double the cost up here. Sheesh

I'm running low, only 3 gallons left. I better make it down to the US soon ;)

Last edited:
Back