Need battery advice!

When I purchased my fz1 (which the seller told me is a 2009 model but is registered as a 2008 model, and the mechanics placed it as a 2008 model also here in AUstralia?) I was told that it had been sitting for a while. It wouldn't start on my inspection! Was covered in a lot of dust. I returned the next weekend and had a wonderful test ride. Picked it up last Sunday. Wouldn't start! So he gave me a bump start and it fired up instantly. The 40k ride home was amazing. He had mentioned that the battery may be...awry. Due to being left alone without use for lengthy periods? Do the cells die with time if not used?

So, I charged it overnight, and was so excited this evening...but again...electronics came on, a few turn overs of the engine then any attempts to start it led to an odd noise!

I am assuming the battery needs replacing?

If so which battery do I get???

Will this do the job?
2008 Yamaha FZ1 X FIT Dynavolt Battery 78 | eBay

Is the 09 battery different to the 08? I will probably aim for the above one and hope for the best as I am desperate to ride the beast this weekend!

Yes, a battery can go flat if sitting for a long time or if it's deeply discharged. Or it may not. Batteries are kind of funny that way. A new battery may last for ten years or ten days. But once it starts acting up then you can be sure it's on its last legs.

Don't cheap out on a battery.....you really get what you pay for. I replaced mine with the Yuasa YTZ14S which is a high quality OEM style battery. Get a Deltran Battery Tender, or equivalent, and keep it hooked up between rides and the battery will last for years.

GEL Motorcycle Battery YTZ14S Yamaha 950 1000 XVS95CT FZ1 XJR1300 Vmax V Star | eBay

ended up ordering this one last night...Its the same make and gel style as the one I had in my R6, which once charged never once failed. So I thought why not go for the same routine for the Fz1.

Will it make any difference to performance that it seems rather cheap???

$64 battery hey?

I suspect you will be buying another within the year.

I never skimp on batteries as the shit ones don't last and you end up buying them twice compared to the oem YUASA or the newer Lithium Ion batteries.

I suppose it's cheap enough that you could buy a few of them for the same money as a good quality battery.

Last edited:
Batteries are strange beasts. Sometimes you get more than you pay for and sometimes you don't. I've had top line batteries fail within a couple years and the cheapest last for the life of the car, 8 years.

My last experience with a failed battery was in my 2011 Altima, two years in and it failed and cost a bunch even with the pro-rated warranty. On the other hand I purchased a $20 Sears battery in 1974 for my 1973 Mazda and it lasted until I dumped the car in 1983.

In my opinion it's all about how long your bike is stored and how long you will ride after the storing. If you keep it outdoor for few weeks during winter with battery on, believe me it will die for few weeks.
Keep the bike or the battery warm and you won't need to buy the most expensive one.
Good luck.

$25-30 for a AGM is much better value than a $100+ Li battery. If you ride/charge regularly, it should last long until its time to sell the bike anyway. Working well both in my FZ1 and Daytona bikes. Won't even need to buy a Lithium battery.

Well, I will see how I get on with this gel battery..as its spring here now. Can wait until closer to winter before pondering my options again, I hope!

I just wondered if the battery I had bought will make any difference to the performance of the bike? It has the same CCA 230 as the OEM battery.

I have the thing! finally. In time for the weekend. Am charging it now. Can hear it...kinda close to bubbling/crackling...??? WHich I have done in the past with other batteries.

How long should I charge it for?

Was going to leave it until the morning?

Will it do any harm? Will likely be 15 hours by then!

I have the thing! finally. In time for the weekend. Am charging it now. Can hear it...kinda close to bubbling/crackling...??? WHich I have done in the past with other batteries.

How long should I charge it for?

Was going to leave it until the morning?

Will it do any harm? Will likely be 15 hours by then!

If you are hearing it crackling and bubbling I would take it off the charger unless it is a smart type charger like a Battery Tender or Yuasa. Otherwise you run the risk of overcharging it which can buckle the plates. Most sealed batteries come charged and can immediately be put in service.

Back