My New Ride!

Criminal Pilot

Hello everyone! I am a member of your sister site, FZ6-Forum. I just sold my FZ6 and have upgraded to her big sister, FZ1!

Here's the story I posted on the FZ6-Forum.

I wasn't planning on selling my FZ6 for a while. In fact, I was going to do a naked conversion and stick with that for a while, and eventually move up to the liter bikes. However, I stumbled upon two great deals: one excellent offer for my FZ6, and an opportunity to purchase one of three liter bikes for a great discount.
My brother is a mechanic and his boss is a huge motorcycle aficionado. His friend owns a small motorsports dealership that just acquired Honda as part of their sales fleet. They have always had Kawasaki and Yamaha in the past though. My brother was in the market for a new motorcycle (he has since purchased one as well!) so I went shopping with him and was told we would get a nice discount if one of us purchased a bike there, or an EXCELLENT deal if we BOTH purchased a bike there - the owner wanted to get his name out there.

So I test rode a 2013 FZ1, 2012 CB1000RA, and 2013 Z1000. I loved them all but only one fit the bill just right for me...

CB1000RA after the test ride.
CB1000R_zpse07882d2.jpg

I absolutely loved the looks but wasn't sure if I loved the feel. It is shorter than the FZ6 and FZ1 and my tailbone kept hitting the "bump" in the passenger seat. It is a very narrow bike though and I liked the way that felt. It had a very sensitive throttle input due to a nice even torque-band. A good thing for most people, but for me, it doesn't suit my riding style. I like a torque band near the top end so I can keep throttle inputs smoother in the lower end. The ABS was a huge selling point for me, but in the end decided it wasn't a deal "braker" to go with or without it.

I don't have pictures of the Z1000 because I forgot! I didn't like it much. Gorgeous bike (as they all are, really), but the seat forced me forward even when cruising slowly or sitting idly at a light. If I tried to slide back to give myself more space from the bars and my legs a little longer reach, it forced me forward inevitably. It felt somewhat cramped as well. I am 6 foot 3 at 210 pounds, so I like wider, bigger, longer bikes.

Ended up going with this beauty!

FZ1-2_zpsf1fcb17d.jpg

FZ1-3_zps1fe283d3.jpg

I've put 300km on it so far and I love it to death! During the test ride, I just had a huge smile on my face the entire time. Don't get me wrong, the other bikes did the same thing (that's what happens when you go from 90hp to 120-140), but this one just made me feel right... just right! The seat was as forgiving as the FZ6 - comfortable enough for a long trip, didn't force me forward or back. Throttle input was calm in the low end and hyperactive in the high end - yay! Looks to kill, especially since I could already visualize all the mods possible with it. Since bringing it home, I have already ordered all the mods I plan to do this summer. Over the coming winter I will probably do even more!

So if you are wondering what my brother purchased.. well, here is a picture of our happy little touring gang :rolleyes::D

Gang2_zps4242838e.jpg

Not bad, eh? Wait.. what's that on the far right? Hmm..

Gang1_zps79057ec2.jpg

Yeah, it is.. it's a scooter! Can't believe your eyes, can you? :rolleyes:

Gang3_zps0f43bb76.jpg

My brother's bosses ride. It is actually his wife's bike. He owns a Tiger 800XC which I will eventually have pictures of. He rides the scooter to work because he is lazy and doesn't like shifting. It's also cheaper.

My brother got the Kawasaki Versys 650 after trying literally dozens of bikes. He is even taller and bigger than I am, and was not comfortable or happy on pretty much anything out there except dirtbikes or dual-sports. The Versys is one of the biggest he tried out. He loves it so far. Actually he doesn't even have a license yet, but I have been coaching him and he is an excellent rider (just like I like to think I was when I began!). He is very safety oriented - in fact he has even more protective gear than I do, and I've been collecting gear for 3 years now.. this is his first day!! He doesn't speed, he doesn't do stupid stuff, so I think he will be fine with the 650, especially because it is not as sporty as the FZ6. I started on the FZ6 and I am a more aggressive driver than he is. So he will be fine!

So alas, my poor FZ6 is gone. It felt like the right time and place though because it sold for more than I paid for it almost 3 years ago. I teared up when the new owner towed her away. That's never happened before. It really goes without saying that bikes hold a much stronger bond between man and machine than anything else I have experienced. This is not good-bye, however, as the new owner is in the city and I will see him every so often. Definitely will have ride pictures in the future and will show all the mods as they come!

The FZ1 does seem noisier than the FZ6 (besides the obviously bigger engine and beefier drivetrain, tires, etc). I can't tell if it is the injectors or pistons clicking but it makes a little more noise than I am used to up front. From reading these forums, though, it seems fairly normal for these bikes.

My FZ6 as it stood:

FZ6-2_zpsd6436b69.jpg

FZ6-3_zps1a4601a6.jpg

FZ6-1_zpsc73d3db8.jpg

FZ6-5_zpsb0872945.jpg

FZ6-4_zps5059cc57.jpg

Thank you all! I am loving it so far.

The main thing I have noticed thus far is the position of the oil filter compared to the FZ6. It's a little harder to get to behind the headers there.
Otherwise, all is well. The oil was getting pretty thick and dark after only about 200km so I changed it quickly and will probably be doing it again around 500-600km, before the 1000km service.

Welcome to this side CP!
I loved my fz6 also, but as you have no doubt found out, the fz1 can do it better & smoother ;)

Check out the Canadian sub forum...Oldschool is around there somewhere....unless he's been mauled by a bear while on his KTM!

Thanks again fellas! I'm sure every forum would say the same about their own bikes, but I feel that much better hearing it from you guys that I made the right move!

The 1500km I put on the clock since owning it speaks for itself too. It is just the right amount of comfort and just the right amount of go-go-go!
I've already begun the modding craze which is 95% aesthetics.. I like my bikes to be comfortable but look like crotch rockets.. the opposite of a sleeper? :nana:

FZ1-2_zps4ba3147c.jpg

My tail light flickers in the camera only.. works beautifully in real life, I assure you!
XB-FZ1-1_zpsdd8f3562.jpg

Love the sound and function of the exhaust!

So far, exhaust can with exup eliminate, rhinomoto bar ends, bar end mirrors, mirror delete caps, fender eliminator (with full lighting!), steel radiator guard, LED flasher relay, rear axle sliders / stand bobbins, Scorpio i900.

Still waiting on new levers, flushmounts for the front, frame sliders, smoked windshield, and FZ8 risers!

Oh and I put on some nice blue reflective rim tape too. I'll be adding additional signals to the rear. I soldered up some custom OEM-plug splitters and just have to solder them to any set of signals, they will plug right in with the integrated tail. I'm all about looks, but I do make some attempts at visibility and safety sometimes, too!

Thank you all! I am loving it so far.

The main thing I have noticed thus far is the position of the oil filter compared to the FZ6. It's a little harder to get to behind the headers there.
Otherwise, all is well. The oil was getting pretty thick and dark after only about 200km so I changed it quickly and will probably be doing it again around 500-600km, before the 1000km service.

The oil will always get dark asa you change it. The reason is that it has adhesives added to clean the engine and thus it turns dark, has nothing to do with it's lubrication abilities. I run always 6k mile intervals on my yamaha and never any problem even back in Germany when I was doing 30% high speed (>120 mph) riding.

So don't worry just ride and have fun, it's a great all purpose bike.

right on about the oil it may look black but if you put it on your finger its light brown ther is nothing wrong with black oil now thick oil is another story but old oil is hardly ever thick it usually gets thinner sweet looking bike cp what kind of exaust and seat cowl do you have?

Yeah I've noticed that with the oil. It darkens very quickly. This usually wasn't the case on my FZ6, and my brothers Versys still has a nice liquidy gold oil after almost 1000km and no oil changed yet!
Thanks for the re-assurance!. I've been riding her like crazy so not to worry about skipping some good bonding time for a little maintenance. :gaming:

It is a Supertrapp exhaust. I don't have a seat cowl yet but will be going the eBay route for a cheap one.

The Honda CB was nice, but it's small. Honda is trying to save weight in the spec wars like Ducati by serving up a 7/8th scale model as their full size job.

I used to ride a a Honda VT1100C and a Kawi 500r before the FZ-1 and the initial conversion was impactful through corners after the 500. However, I always felt cramped on the Kawi and anything at least 1 liter always fit better in a regular size frame to me.

The FZ-1 is a nice blend of fine handling and power quality. Plus, I don't need all kinds of fancy electronics for street riding although a gear indicator light would make it perfect.

Lonney - yeah, it was the FZ6. I wasn't a fan of the long single-piece rider+passenger seat so I got the cowl to amend that. The FZ1 has nicer styling with the seats so I haven't jumped on a cowl just yet. Especially because about 50% of my riding is two-up. If I do get something, it's going to be a cheap one!

I agree re; the CB, it felt so much more cramped. I still look at that picture and think a big part of me would have loved the single-sided swingarm. You can see I like that sort of thing the way I've made every attempt to expose as much of my FZ1's rear tire and swingarm as possible. Unfortunately, swingarm and ABS aren't enough to sway me when it just doesn't sit right overall. I'm sure I would have been happy no matter what, but I can't deny the smile I get when I ride, nor the fact I can't look away when I get off. :gaming:

Last edited:
Dam cp you had that 6 hooked up really nice

Thanks! And my FZ1 is well on the way to a similar look! Waiting on flushmount fronts and a tinted shorty screen. Then maybe a seat cowl some day...
FZ1-Proper_zps08f22158.jpg

Exhaust is a Supertrapp. I opted for a black powdercoat cap, but the powdercoat has been wearing off. They've already sent me a new one so hopefully this time the black sticks! If not, I'll be opting for the old school titanium Supertrapp cap.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Thanks! And my FZ1 is well on the way to a similar look! Waiting on flushmount fronts and a tinted shorty screen. Then maybe a seat cowl some day...
FZ1-Proper_zps08f22158.jpg

Exhaust is a Supertrapp. I opted for a black powdercoat cap, but the powdercoat has been wearing off. They've already sent me a new one so hopefully this time the black sticks! If not, I'll be opting for the old school titanium Supertrapp cap.

Thanks all!

Hey mate. Bike is looking sweet!
is that exhaust just a straight forward slip on???
looks really good, is it loud???

Back