My Daughter's bike, early in the build.

LOVE to use flush mounts on the tail. But this bike has to go with her where ever she ends up. SO... Since I'm not sure where that may be, I'm going as close to legal DOT type stuff as I can and still keep it cool.

LOVE to use flush mounts on the tail. But this bike has to go with her where ever she ends up. SO... Since I'm not sure where that may be, I'm going as close to legal DOT type stuff as I can and still keep it cool.

I do have a question about that.... I checked over my original stock Yamaha signals and cannot find anything on them that mention a DOT rating. Where would it be stamped on the signal? Is it inside the unit?

Here in NH, while they are supposed to flag them, the people who inspect the bikes only care that the signals work... thankfully! Copperdog pods are far from DOT rated!

Same thing here in Ohio, if they work and are clearly visible it's all good. But this bike is going to be on post somewhere and will likely be unspected so I'm going for a look that really has lighting simular to a current production nakid bike.

About there...

With 20 days left till the kid comes home on leave this is were I'm at. All major work is knocked out. Just a few covers to fabricate, clean up the tail, tear down all I built, prep it all, shoot paint, and put it all back together. That about it, just grunt work from here. Next update should hopefully be a finished bikes and it's rider.
11-28-102.jpg

11-28-105.jpg

11-28-1010.jpg

11-28-108.jpg

Still messing with the tail. But the rest will sit in color till I get the work week behind me to I can do some sanding here n there then clear coat.
12-06-101.jpg

12-06-107.jpg

Due to the lovely blizzard like conditions here, petcock leak & and carb problems, the bike has not made much progress. The kid will be home on leave in 24 hours & she wants to help me finish this bike up. Updates to follow.

Due to the lovely blizzard like conditions here, petcock leak & and carb problems, the bike has not made much progress. The kid will be home on leave in 24 hours & she wants to help me finish this bike up. Updates to follow.

Good luck with the bike. Even if it doesn't get finished as desired, the best reward will be having her there to work on it with you. Enjoy the time!

Got up at 04:30 today to go get the kid at the airport. After we all get back I was able to finish up the tail and got a good start on the rest. Holding off on the carb work till everything is all buttoned up. Some wiring and side covers need built yet. Had to pull it out in the sun and take a few pics.
12-18-101.jpg

12-18-1012.jpg

12-18-107.jpg

12-18-1010.jpg

Well the ride part may have to wait a while. She and I are gonna mess with it here and there while she is on leave. By spring she should be aat FT Bragg NC so it will be brought down to her barring a deployment. I'm sure when I get it all tuned in I'll take it out.

How did she like Fort Jackson? Tank Hill was a treat, eh? As difficult as it was at times, I still managed to stay positive through basic and take each challenge personally. I look back and realize I both had fun and learned discipline, something I had NONE of before basic training. No regrets for me. Wish they had a civilian camp we could go to every few years as a "refresher" in fitness and being humbled.

Glad she is there with you and I also hope she remains outside of the hot zones. What's her MOS going to be?

The bike is awesome and she should be proud of your efforts and I'm sure she is.

She liked Jackson, she spent alot of time as a Squad Leader, there and now in AIT at Ft Huachuca AZ, Military Intel, she grads 2 weeks after she gets back. She wants to end up in PsyOps at SOCOM But needs her jump school and her E-4. I'm former Spec Ops so I made some calls to Ft Brag SORB for her. She now has orders for Airborne school at Benning & Air Assault at Campbell prior to ariving at FT Bragg Reception Bn. Alot of us old Special Forces guys stay and touch, her 364 PT score don't hurt her chances of making it threw.

I allways loved building old Hondas, but this Yam has been fun. I have a line on an old 82 XS400. I'm was thinking Cafe racer but I have one of them in build now. I'm gonna try something outside my comfort zome for an UNDER $500 build challange here in Ohio. Thinking old school Chop- Bobber.

Back