My Daughter's bike, early in the build.

fazer1sniper

Just before my daughter left for Basic Combat Training at FT Jackson, SC she picked up this 1986 Yamaha Radian 600...
DSCF0023.jpg

DSCF0022.jpg

I wanted to knock out some work on it this weekend and snap a few pics. I'm heading down to see her graduate this week. The bike is still a ways off from being done. It will be a while before she can use it anyway, she has a 6 month school to knock out before she can have it at her post.
She is a huge cafe racer fan, but the Radian's lines don't lend well to that mod so I went a differnt direction with it. Here is the bike so far in it's early stages.
SOME of the crack ups:
08-29-105.jpg

08-29-108.jpg

The new head light and tail light and I talked her into keeping the Corbin seat:
08-29-1019.jpg

Where it sits now, headlight & tail mods.
09-05-100.jpg

09-05-102.jpg

09-05-103.jpg

09-05-1010.jpg

09-05-108.jpg

09-05-107.jpg

Sweet! Back in 1989 I remember looking for a Radian before settling on a Hawk GT. The riding position on the Radian is comfortably neutral. That's MY kind of project bike! :popcorn:

I'm anxious to see where this goes. I'm loving it so far. Keep us posted. Congrats to your daughter on her graduation and good luck with her school too.

This sux

So i do some final fab on the front of the bike and start to clean it uo with some degreaser. Well, better to find this out now than later. Some moron must have used some bargan flat black on the motor and frame cause it began to shivel up and become a real mess. Hours later I get the majority of it off the bike and I see the extent of dammage this 4000mile bike took. A ton of the bike was paited of over with some rattlecan crap. plugs and plug wires, body pannels, carbs, the works.
9-6-106.jpg

9-6-100.jpg

9-6-104.jpg

9-6-101.jpg

Looks like the swing arm has lost some finish as well.
9-6-105.jpg

And of course the tank is a wreck, full of rust, bondo all over it. It was cavered in several coats of rattlecan paint so I just just started stripping it so I can start over. I leave for Ft Jackson in the morning.... This is gonna take a while.

Congrats Mom & Dad! Please tell her that I thank her for serving to protect our freedom!

I too did my basic at Fort Jackson. E Company, Delta Demons!

Well done! And congratulations on her graduation from BT.

I just had my retirement from the Army Guard this past Sunday. It's amazing how fast 20 years will go by.

Picked up a Honda exhaust & midpipe in SC at a salvage yard for $20. (Blackbird high side?) Cut the can down to about 10 in & think the mid needs shortened a bit to fit right.
09-12-10.jpg

09-12-1014.jpg

09-12-1012.jpg

Got the valve cover off and cleaned and painted in engine enamel. The gasket is in great shape, I plan to use some sealant and use it again.
09-12-108.jpg

09-12-106.jpg

now the down side. I found this when I pulled the cover. Low side, cam abouve the Yamaha #2 I think.
09-12-105.jpg

09-12-103.jpg

09-12-104.jpg

The real shame is it runs fine. Im checking into replacements no luck yet. If all else fails I have some lock tite thead repar kits I have that I may give a try.

It's a casting, not sure it that would fly. But I will look into it. I'm bringing the exhaust over to my buddy's shop Saturday to weld the stainless. He is a hell of alot better welder than I am. if it can be done he will let me know.

After weeks stuck at work & being down with a respitory infection I was able to bake some progress on this thing.
Cleaned up the engine and shot some engine enamel on at, pulled & cleaned the carbs ( they were NASTY), got them back on.
09-26-107.jpg

09-26-102.jpg

09-26-104.jpg

The fiberglass tail is comming along, still messing with the mount for the tail light.
09-26-106.jpg

09-26-100.jpg

So, for lack of better options, I pulled the marzocchi reat shocks, cleaned them up, and pulled the rear wheel and swing arm, This swing arm will need completely sanded down or blasted. I can't get any paint to stick with out a reaction. It will be down to metal friday when I get off work. I wanna smack the guy who jacked this bike up before she got it...

Back