My Boy Has Graduated!!

My only son Richard graduated with Honors from Mount Saint Michael Academy yesterday. I had a lot of different emotions running through my head the past few days. I was happy as heck that he did so well, much better than I ever did in school. I was proud to have such a brilliant son which God blessed me with 18 years ago. I was sad to see that my little boy had "grown up" to be a fine young man. I'm sure that other dads out there understand what I mean. You never want to see your kids get older so quickly. I swear I blinked my eyes and high school was done! My sadness is compounded because being a single dad, and raising him with me, we have been so close and I didn't want the day to come that he would be "moving on" to do things on his own. I guess it was inevitable but it came so damn fast!

He has a scholarship to Pace University to study Nursing and Pharmaceuticals in the Fall. He will be a "commuting" student so I'm fortunate to have him for at least another 4 or 5 years for which I'm happy. Anyway, I thought I'd throw up a few pics of the graduation for you guys to see. Does anyone else have a son or daughter who has also graduated this year? If so, feel free to post up here!

Getting ready outside the school.
IMG_3523.jpg

I had great seats. It pays to be "early".
IMG_3525.jpg

Here is the new Graduate!
IMG_3533.jpg

IMG_3538.jpg

The President of the school giving the welcome speech.
IMG_3545.jpg

And there it is! The Diploma!!
IMG_3558.jpg

What was even nicer that day was the fact that my Childhood Companion, Joey, had his son Joseph, graduating with Richie too. My mom flew in from Vegas just to see Richie graduate. Here's a shot of the three of us, Mom, Joey, and me.
IMG_3561.jpg

Joey and Joseph, proud father and son. We had met again at the freshman orientation, 4 years ago, after not seeing each other for almost 20 years. It was such a surprise to see him there and I feel it was divine intervention that brought two inseparable friends back together!
IMG_3563.jpg

Richie's girlfriend Vianca, Richie, and Mom
IMG_3567.jpg

This shot brings a tear to my eye everytime I look at it. A really proud Dad!
IMG_3568.jpg

The Official Document!
IMG_3570.jpg

Thanks for looking. Please post here if you also have a Graduate in the family.

Congratuations to both you and him. What he has evolved into is a testament to your great parenting. I've seen it both ways. Kudos to the both of you. My son will be a senior next year. Time sure does fly.

Thanks Ken, I appreciate the kind words. I wish you all the same. It's such a shame that time seems to pass us by so quickly. If I could impart any advice to parents here that have small children is to cherish every moment you can with your children, as it is what seems like a second, before they have grown up.

Hitting these milestones in your child's life really is bitter-sweet. You have every right to be proud Billy. Raising a child as a single parent is tough but you did an amazing job. Well done Dad! Congrats to Richie for his accomplishment and good luck to him at Pace!

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Hitting these milestones in your child's life really is bitter-sweet. You have every right to be proud Billy. Raising a child as a single parent is tough but you did an amazing job. Well done Dad! Congrats to Richie for his accomplishment and good luck to him at Pace!

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Thanks my dear friend! Yes, bittersweet it truly is. I guess it may get easier with time.....I hope.

Congrats to both You and Richie!!!! It's so awesome that he got a scholarship for college. With the prices today it's almost impossible to be able to actually afford to go. I tell my son all the time that he needs to do his absolute best in high school so he CAN go to college. There is no way that I would be able to afford to send him so he needs to keep his nose to the grind stone.

Congrats to both You and Richie!!!! It's so awesome that he got a scholarship for college. With the prices today it's almost impossible to be able to actually afford to go. I tell my son all the time that he needs to do his absolute best in high school so he CAN go to college. There is no way that I would be able to afford to send him so he needs to keep his nose to the grind stone.

Thanks pal. It's so true! I am so fortunate it's not even funny! With his scholarship, plus the Federal Grants, I'm paying almost nothing out of pocket. He only has one small loan for $1,500 a year which I will pay as we go along so that he won't have a 6K Bill when he leaves college. It's sometimes hard to make them believe just how important school really is these days. More so now than ever. I have always stressed to Richie that if he breaks his butt now, he will be able to enjoy his life later. I'm pretty confident that he got the message and has heeded my advice all these years. He's a great son. I couldn't have ever asked for better.

congratz!! My oldest is going to start 5th grade in the fall and it seems like yesterday he was born. It's amazeing how time flies.

congratz!! My oldest is going to start 5th grade in the fall and it seems like yesterday he was born. It's amazeing how time flies.

Awesome! You must be very proud!

Thanks Adam and Brad. I'm both proud and fortunate to have been blessed with a great son who has never given me not one ounce of trouble ever. I used my abusive childhood as a motivating force to be the complete opposite of what my father was to me and it worked out perfectly.

Adam, hold on to him as long as you can and be his best friend. Before you know it you'll be posting his pic here on the board!

Wow, Billy CONGRATZ!! You got me thinking what it will be like when mine get there. I got a late start on kids. Mine are 10 and 12 now. So I have a little way to go yet.

That is sooooo fantastic Richie got the scholarship!!

Wow, Billy CONGRATZ!! You got me thinking what it will be like when mine get there. I got a late start on kids. Mine are 10 and 12 now. So I have a little way to go yet.

That is sooooo fantastic Richie got the scholarship!!

Thanks Steve! Appreciate the sentiments. We have to set up a Jersey Ride real soon buddy! My mom goes back to Vegas the 12th. After that I'm pretty much free to ride.

Congratulations to both you and Ritchie! He truly is a testament to your wonderful parenting. At least he'll be with you for a few more years so you won't have to suffer the "empty nest syndrome".....'cause trust me, you will. It's so difficult, yet so rewarding to see this particular milestone. Also, congratulations to him on the scholarship to Pace. That's a very good school.

Congratulations to both you and Ritchie! He truly is a testament to your wonderful parenting. At least he'll be with you for a few more years so you won't have to suffer the "empty nest syndrome".....'cause trust me, you will. It's so difficult, yet so rewarding to see this particular milestone. Also, congratulations to him on the scholarship to Pace. That's a very good school.

Thanks so much Michele. Yes, I already am suffering from that, and he's not even gone yet! It's been a "roller coaster" of emotions for me the last two weeks. One minute I'm fine, the next minute I'm in tears. I have never been apart from him since birth and I have to say the thought of it SUCKS! I guess I'll jump that hurdle when the time comes. For now I'll concentrate on enjoy quality time with him.

Back