My best buddy passed last night

Annabelle our 16 year old cat passed last night.

My wife found her 16 years ago at a bus stop in Houston after one of the huge city floods. She looked down and saw something that looked like a small pile of leaves. Instead it was a kitten that was a few days old. My wife picked her up, put her in a shoe box and nursed her with an eye dropper and milk. After my wife and I were married Annabelle adopted me. I was her guy. She was like a dog. After work she would greet me at the door. Everywhere I went she went. In the evenings she would hop onto my lap and sit there with me. At night she always curled up with me. In the garage she would come by for a visit, walk on the computer and demand my attention. When I was sick she was always there. Really a wonderful animal.

Yesterday afternoon she was crouched on the floor of the bedroom just sitting and staring into space. As she's old I figured she was just resting. Later in the day she'd moved and her head was pressed against a pillow that was on the floor. I petted her and she gave an odd murr noise. I took her to the vet, we ran labs and nothing was off the charts. We gave her fluids and at home I managed to hold food up to her and she ate a little. At 2 pm I heard her struggling to breath. I knew what has happening. I was to afraid to look. I checked her and she had passed.

Yes she was only a cat however she was always loyal and there for me. I'll miss her greatly.

This is after a long day at the track.

100_0189.jpg

Last edited:
I am very sorry to hear that. It is funny how they become such an important part of our lives.

I to have a really great cat that is now 13 years old. He is officially my youngest daughter's cat and I dread the day he passes as it will break her heart.

I am sorry for your loss. I had to have my best roommate put down after 20yrs....tooth , kidney and other problems. Jessie rocked.

they are more then just pets, they are family...my condolences

It's amazing how these creatures bring such joy to us by just being alive and in our lives. They are family and it's painful to lose any family. My condolences.

So sorry Pete! Condolenses to you and the wife, That cat was damn lucky to find the two of you!

I don't know why you need to justify loving a cat? Be it cat or dog they are more loyal than any human will ever be. That is why I like them more than people.

Bummer Pete, 16 years is a mighty good run for a cat and she served you well. Those darn critters have a way of working into our hearts but I have always subscribed to the notion of wanting to out live every pet I have.

2 weeks ago my wife had to put down her horse due to medical reasons, that was a tough one for her.

Pete, I'm so sorry. I know how you feel as we just went through this with our cat of nearly 22 yrs. We did not find him passed but due to his health issues, I was forced to make that decision, take him to the vet, hold and comfort him, as they administered the shot. I was supposed to go to work but couldn't.. my wife, the same... so we called out, went to bed and cried ourselves to sleep. Losing a beloved pet who's impact was so great is very tough. Great pets are regarded as close family. My new cat is much like your Annabelle as he is very loyal to me, greets me daily at the door and every morning when I get up. He's young but when his time comes many years (hopefully) down the road, I will be equally as devastated.

Your wife cared enough to rescue and nurse her to good health, and you two gave her the best life possible. She left you behind without a need or want. She left knowing she had the best people to care for her and give her all the love she could ask for.

R.I.P. Annabelle.

Last edited:
Back