My 55 year old friend Don LIVES to ride

Sactown2008

After a five day break, I get to ride her to work, a Dr appt., visit an ailing 67 year old cousin, home, then the South River road for BBQ Pizza at a winery.

I'll be wearing the new AGV all day. My wife(who is off on Mon/Thur) said, "You do not need that hood and neck cover." It was 36 degrees (at 40mph coming into work). My face and neck froze, but it sure was a fun ride to work. It will be sunny all day and might get up to 60 degrees.

This is TOO MUCH FUN.

A 6' 5" friend writes on FB, "I did a little work on my bike (old 900cc Valosia), so I took it out on a test ride. I am now in Reno." OMG! Sacramento to Reno and back! 268 miles. It was snowing and 34 degrees there. : owned: I am NOT worthy.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

not sure about snow...but in the cold no problem, this past dec it was down into the teens and i was riding to and from work every day (i start work at 2:am).
it might have gotten up to the very low 50's F by 4"pm.

Maybe this Summer

Bah it's not that bad. Any major road would just be wet at that temperature anyway...

:rmwl:

When I have more time on this Beast, I'll move up to freeways/65mph and go with him. I am gaining confidence on this Sportbike everyday. As Don said from Reno, "We have to get old. No one said I have to grow up."

: owned:

What is the problem with weather in the south? Snow and low 30s temps?

Here it is melting at almost 88F... topsy turvy weather in the south and west ..

UMM, still recovering from your dissertation defense celebration? lolup Sacramento CA is North of San Fran. No where close to the south. Hell, I was out there one October going down to Yosemite and a snowstorm broke out. It was nasty on the roads. :beer:

Yes, it is. Today will be 61 and Sunny.

Well, I know that but shouldn't CA weather be pretty nice by now? Pretty much everywhere else it is in the 80s, even in NY, MI, etc ..

I am just not used to 36 degrees and 45mph on the FZ1. We've been in a warm car all Winter at 530am.

In 105 degree July and August I will pray for 61 degree April 6th.

:banghead:

I am just not used to 36 degrees and 45mph on the FZ1. We've been in a warm car all Winter at 530am.

When I'm rolling through your neck of the woods in June, I'll fire a message off and you can join me for a bit of my trip!

Don't freeze, just wear one of these: Klim Balaclava - Snow - Motorcycle Superstore

I hate having cold air on my neck. I will ride (as long as the roads are dry) down to -5*C. Sometimes I will wear a turtleneck and the balaclava when it is really cold. It helps keep the frozen snot off your helmet liner. : oops:

Lets!

When I'm rolling through your neck of the woods in June, I'll fire a message off and you can join me for a bit of my trip!

That would be very cool. Is this the one down Highway 1 then over to 395?

I find out on 5/2 if I can avoid L3-L4 back surgery, so keep me informed about your trip.

My friend who just did Reno (as a test ride) emailed me, "When are we doing Grand Canyon and back." Crazy! :unworthy::unworthy::unworthy:

Lee's right, a covering for your neck or a balaclava works wonders. A heated vest helps keep the chill off your core and makes it easy to ride.

I'm a cold-weather wimp but even I can handle in excess of 10F if I wear the right gear. You wouldn't go outside in shorts when it's 10F so why ride your bike in a t-shirt and a leather jacket?

Thermal underwear, thermal socks, heated vest, Roadcrafter, neck warmer and winter gloves. Easy peasy and still flexible enough to move freely :)

Well you just enlightened my vision of the west coast......I thought Cali had perfect weather all year round!
All I ever had of the west was a 2 day stopover in San Fran.

Here in Florida I'm a wus.....too hot to ride to work the last 2 days, and today they call for 60% chance of rain.

Can't win.

Yes it can GET cold.

Well you just enlightened my vision of the west coast......I thought Cali had perfect weather all year round!

The wife is a trooper. Last night we rode the bike to a BBQ at dusk, then froze coming home in the dark. She let me take her to work at 6am (36 degrees) today on a 10 minute ride because I want us to continue carpooling. I might have to buy her an R6. ;-))

BTW: all you folks who ask me to "get with it and push this FZ1." I am finally having a blast leaning into corners and making U-turns. The HDs always intimidated me because they were long and HEAVY and I rode one 3 times a year. I have my morning comute route down now, so it's a blast whipping around tite corners on city streets. I am falling in love with 3rd and 4th gear, because of the range of RPMs this Beast can apply.

Great year round weather is ONLY in San Diego.

Last edited:
Back