MSF Advanced Course - A Review

I am an experienced rider but I had to take the brc to be aloud to ride inthe military and yes these are all excellent courses for beginer riders. meaning people who have never sat on a motorcycle. I am about to do the erc and then the msf instructor course. 3 weekends of brc in a row.

Erci: how was the coach course?

Last edited:
Yeah.. large % of instructors are Harley riders and there's nothing wrong with that. The *wrong* part is that many of them have never experienced what a sport bike feels like and truly do believe that using all 4 fingers on the brake is the only safe way to ride *sigh*

You didn't answer my question about the actual class you took.. was it called ARC or ERC? What does it say on your completion card?

As we had discussed before Eric, I'm going to sign up for the BRC2 in a couple weeks. I'm actually looking forward to going back especially after the crash. The lead instructor is primarily an R1200RT rider and her backup is a MV Agusta, LOL. One of the other instructors is a Harley guy, the other is another R1200RT and the last is a tricked out SV650.

No trail braking was not mentioned and we were instructed to only brake while the bike was straight up. We were told that if we.were to brake in a corner we could crash. Nor was decreasing radius discussed.

I just took the ARC and it sounds like you actually did the Confident Rider Course/Experienced Rider Course or BRC2.

In the Advanced Rider Course(/Techniques) we covered panic braking, trail braking, decreasing radius, brake and maneuver, evasive maneuvers in a corner and traffic merging. They showed us their little MSF handbooks with the exercises and it had them all listed under Advanced Rider Techniques.

You should have a card that has the actual name of the course or double check that the school you went to actually deliverd the product they were supposed to by the MSF.

Back