Motorcycle Accident VS Automobiles?

So I do agree that the fallout of an accident from a motorcycle are more severe than a car,however I stand by my argument that motorcycles are no more dangerous than cars. As someone said it is the riders choices or inabilities that lead to major accidents. If you have a problem with turning your bike sidways or what not then usually it is not because the bike is unsafe it is you the rider that is unsafe. It is usually the same for cars most accidents are due to unsafe drivers they dont pay attention, however if you realize that you are much smaller on a motorcycle and are paying attention and not riding like an idiot then you tend to be a safe rider making your bike safe as well. Now dont get me wrong I understand Sh!!t happens and yes being exposed on a bike does have the potential for disaster but that in its self does not equal more dangerous. Just my two cents.

I remember reading years ago how motorcycle fatalities (in the 80s) were 19 times more likely than on cars, per person mile driven.
tempering the stats though was that 50 % of the deaths occurred with new riders within their first 2 years of riding, also, alcohol was present (over 0.08) in 51 percent of fatalities. these facts reduce the odds from 19 to 9 and then again to 4 times. I believe a conscientious rider, being careful can make the odds much more manageable, close to those of automobiles.

I remember reading years ago how motorcycle fatalities (in the 80s) were 19 times more likely than on cars, per person mile driven.
tempering the stats though was that 50 % of the deaths occurred with new riders within their first 2 years of riding, also, alcohol was present (over 0.08) in 51 percent of fatalities. these facts reduce the odds from 19 to 9 and then again to 4 times. I believe a conscientious rider, being careful can make the odds much more manageable, close to those of automobiles.

That is all very true about making the odds manageable, but the inherited risk will always be greater for the many reasons stated in the previous posts.

Pay attention to your surroundings, wear proper gear, don't drink and drive (personally I don't touch alcohol when I'm on the bike, not even one beer) and ride within your abilities...All these things will keep you safer...enjoy the ride :)

I heard that it takes 7 times more attention to ride a motorcycle safely, as opposed to driving a car. There are a far greater number of functions that have to be simultaneously performed, and events that we must be aware of, than in a car. Otherwise, some people might be texting while riding a motorcycle. Also the power level of an FZ1 is much greater than most cars, and this in itself creates a temptation that can have risky results. And then there is the blind driver who does not see a motorcycle, or the inattentive one, or many who have sush a poor perception of speed, timing and distance, or simply those who have such poor driving skills, etc., etc., etc.

Now can the readers of this forum operate their motorcycles well and safely? Absolutely. I would estimate that the skill level is light years ahead of the normal automobile driver. But because there are sooo many things that have to be done well, the likelihood of just one of them going wrong, is increased. And the one can lead to another within a fraction of a second.

To me there is little doubt that riding a motorcycle is riskier than driving a car. And the risk of bodily injury is far greater in the event of an accident. But it takes a lot to get me excited - and riding my motorcycle does just that. Otherwise, I could be even safer by staying home and sitting in a rocking chair all day, but I choose to add some spice to my life by riding. To use the Kawasaki phrase - "Let the Good Times Roll".

Bikes are definitely more dangerous, period.

But I don't want to live my life wondering "what if" or "why didn't I". I don't want to hide under my sheets in bed worrying abt the sky falling on my head. Life itself is risky. But it's that risk that makes life worth living.

Just manage your risks and you should get along quite fine. Of course, you can never tell when someone else will make a mistake that will cost you. But again, that's life isn't it? You only got one life. Live it.

I ride because I Want to ride.

I accept the risks ,I accept that i will ride too fast , I accept that the bike excites me , I accept that i will attack corners and roads i love , I accept NO amount of speed limits, fluro clothing, inept governments, police forces will lessen the risk i take every time i ride.

I accept that i have MY destiny in my hands EVERY tiime i ride.
If you dont accept that maybe some should get a corolla or the bus

I ride because I Want to ride.

I accept the risks ,I accept that i will ride too fast , I accept that the bike excites me , I accept that i will attack corners and roads i love , I accept NO amount of speed limits, fluro clothing, inept governments, police forces will lessen the risk i take every time i ride.

I accept that i have MY destiny in my hands EVERY tiime i ride.
If you dont accept that maybe some should get a corolla or the bus

I think that the fact that we all ride shows that we accept the risk involved, yes?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

So I do agree that the fallout of an accident from a motorcycle are more severe than a car,however I stand by my argument that motorcycles are no more dangerous than cars. As someone said it is the riders choices or inabilities that lead to major accidents. If you have a problem with turning your bike sidways or what not then usually it is not because the bike is unsafe it is you the rider that is unsafe. It is usually the same for cars most accidents are due to unsafe drivers they dont pay attention, however if you realize that you are much smaller on a motorcycle and are paying attention and not riding like an idiot then you tend to be a safe rider making your bike safe as well. Now dont get me wrong I understand Sh!!t happens and yes being exposed on a bike does have the potential for disaster but that in its self does not equal more dangerous. Just my two cents.

You know, I wrote this long ass dissertation about the way you are thinking and the way motorcycle schools teach you to think while riding.

But your mind is where it is, and you don't need any of us convincing you...because your mind is made up.

All I can say is that I hope you actually read and THINK about what people are saying here. If you aren't learning, practicing and utilizing survival skills on the road, you will end up being a statistic. And that is the cold hard truth. Each and every one of us knows that motorcycling is inherently dangerous. You can accept it and get smart about it or become dead.

Just stay off the buisy streets in rush hour, where there are to many cars:spank2: and blind spots and everyone is driving like a f-in idiot. Thats how you get hit. I've gone home before when traffic was like the indy 500. Just stick to the more rural roads, if you go down it was your falt.

OK, you have a car and a motorcycle parked in the garage. While your sleeping in your bed, which is more dangerous. Neither. The rider, others on the road and conditions are what changes the danger.

OK, you have a car and a motorcycle parked in the garage. While your sleeping in your bed, which is more dangerous. Neither. The rider, others on the road and conditions are what changes the danger.

This Sums it up perfectly, it is people that make things dangerous. If you ride to fast and make stupid choices the chance of death increase. If you are careful, wear safety gear etc you still have a percentage of death, but that percentage drops drastically. This is the same whether you are riding a bicycle, walking, riding a horse, driving a boat or flying an airplane.

Pay attention to your surroundings and NEVER let your mind wander off.

I happen to know quite a few experienced riders who have been riding well over 50 years, and they are still alive and well.

When I was taking some lessons before I got my license my instructors told me that over 50% of motorcycle accidents are solo crashes that don't involve automobiles, just riders who were going to fast, or failed to negotiate a turn properly, or were drunk and just rode off the road. I don't know where they came up with those numbers, but I am inclinded to believe them.

Been riding since I was 8, Since the age of 18 I have continually held a MC endorsement on my license. I have had 2 major wrecks the first at age 20 I was drunk and standing on my seat riding down the freeway at a significant rate of speed. I went into a high speed wobble as I was trying to sit down and wound up losing a lot of skin and my bike someone stole it while I was in the hospital. My fault...
Second at age 23 I was riding in the dirt on my Honda Elsinore and was passing a Dune buggy who veered into me causing significant injuries. Both times had a helmet both times my fault. I have had close calls on the street but always have been able to get out of harms way. I would say most accidents are rider induced, Although there are circumstances you have no control over. Wear the right gear and know how to ride there are places to learn. I learned in the dirt and I think it made me a better rider excepting the reckless days of youth for that I am grateful to be alive.

Ballmead ,
Agreed we do know the risks, the problem is that bike riding is being eaten away at the edges by "the is ist safe lobby"

You know is it safe to ride fast
Is it safe to crash into a car
Is it safe to have a brain
Is it safe to be in control of your own destiny
We would be safer in fluro, why the f... that is i have NO idea .
Bike riding is about FUn , not how many MPG you get for f.... sake, its not about commuting and being enviromentally consious , truth be told exact opposite,

I dont give a fat rats if it is safer or not, i WANT to do it and if the others think its dangerous it is because IT IS .
NO amount of gear or staying in the pathetic speed limints will change the darwin theory .

This crap about safety should not be on a bike forum , and like you ballmead reading between the lines i do enjoy the FZ1 performance.

Final word
IF IT SCARES you to ride a bike get the f.... of it , if not accept that what it is is what it is

I've been on the street for 47 years now on 25 bikes. Riding is at the center of my being and it brings a great deal of happiness to my life. My wife doesn't ride very much but once in a while she'll agree to take a short ride, maybe to her grandson's ball game. I understand the added risk a motorcycle has over a car and I accept that risk. At 62 years old I think I know how to ride and take all the measures I am aware of to reduce my chances of getting more bent than I already am. That's the best I can do and I don't argue about the danger issue because it's not one of my problems.

I admit I didn't read everybody's reply but I just joined the forum and I have to reply. I often find myself in this discussion. I have found it a total waste of my time to argue about it. It is totally individual to me. I know several people that ride and shouldn't. I don't care what you drive/ride, to me, the single most safety conscious thing you can do is LOOK AHEAD. I can't tell you how many drivers I sit with in cars that don't see a car pulling out, don't see the people walking on the side of the road, don't see the cop parked on the side of the road.....the list goes on and on. When I am riding, especially aggressively, I am riding 100%!! I don't have a radio,I don't have a cell phone, I don't have gps...nothing! I am in the zone. To me I am safer at double the speed limit than 90% of automobile drivers I've had the displeasure of riding with. And when I think of the comments the OP was talking about, I think of these people. Bottom line, this argument falls on deaf ears. Thanks and I'm looking forward to my new FZ1 and this forum.

I'd much rather ride my bike than drive my car. But I'd be lying if I said I'd rather be on the bike instead of behind an airbag just before I hit the tree.

I think one problem is that bikes have to much power these days. I started riding when I was 15 and that was 40 years ago and in that time motorcycle have come a long way. The reason that I think this is the problem is that my son started out on a Suzuki Gs 500 and at the time he couldn't believe the power when he first started riding but like all things he got used to it. After 12 months of riding the Gs he bought my 05 R1 off me and he at the time could not believe the power of the Yam.
He hasn't had a bike for about 3 years now but the other day we got talking about the R1 and he believes that sport bike are to powerful to ride on the street even though he would buy one today if he had the cash. lol!!
But I think the Real problem is the return to riding bikers they stop riding in their teens of twenties and go out and buy a 1000cc sports bike in their 40s or 50s and get caught out by the power off the beast!!
Just my take on things..

I've been riding for almost 28 years now. Love riding and know the risks.

That said....I'm not delusional and realize an SUV hitting me broadside at 15 mph will most likely result in losing my leg or even death. That same situation in my truck and I'm fine.

So yes motorcycles are more dangerous in a accident. You could have Valentino Rossi's talent and be the most paranoid, careful rider in the world............BUT YOU CAN'T CONTROL THE ACTIONS OF OTHERS.
Yes you can ( and should ) practice improving your riding and threat detection but accidents happen and when they do your much safer in a car.

If some of you guys need to delude yourselves and think otherwise feel free. Maybe that's what you need to do to feel safe while riding.

I'm pretty sure anyone with an IQ over 3 knows your safer with a seat belt, airbags and a steel cage around you compared to riding a motorcycle, when your involved in a accident.

I have a better question for you guys . I'll start a new thread :Rockon:

Back